“Best food of our trip”

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Description: Longrain Sydney is located at 85 Commonwealth St in Surry Hills. Inspired by the communal eating philosophy of the Asian table, our menu is made up of dishes created for sharing. Longrain's menu has evolved from Martin Boetz's original Longrain vision, bringing South East Asian influences to carefully sourced ingredients with fresh, zingy flavours. His vibrant menu is carefully balanced with wines and cocktails chosen by restaurateur Sam Christie. Our long, shared tables encourage the spirit of eating together, so you can try each dish as part of a full tasting experience, just as it was intended (limited reservations available). Book one of our individual tables for parties between 6 - 10 people; or Private Dining Room for 12-18 guests.
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My husband and I actually didn't plan on going to Longrain one night, but we were in the neighborhood and I'd read about it on trip advisor, so we decided to try it and we are so glad we did. We didn't have reservations and were seated immediately. However, I would recommend making them, I think we just got lucky. The seating is unique as you're seated with other guests and long tables, but you still have plenty of privacy since the tables are large. We had some the caramelized pork and peanuts for the entree and it might have been the best thing I have ever tasted. Delicious and the flavors married perfectly. We then split the green curry chicken for our main and it was very good and plenty of food for both of us. Just spectacular food.The service was also the best we received while in Australia. Don't go to Sydney without visiting Longrain.

There are newer reviews for Longrain

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We went there for dinner. Fantastic business model. No bookings. Drink while you wait! :-) Waited one and half hours however we knew we were going to wait that long and I drank some of the best Mojitos I have in my life. Mojitos cost $16 each which is on the little high side but it was my birthday and they were worth every penny. Bloody good service. Food was amazing and I only easy fish.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

The restaurant is quite strange, like a barn =) Beautiful barn with long tables and tasting-style food for share. Had to wait for 1.15 hrs to get seats... The meals appeared nice,but some of the tasteless or "overveggies". Too much asian flavours. No, not for us.

2  Thank alexzhdanov
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The best meal we have had in Sydney on this extended trip. The food is inventive without being fussy, the presentation is mouth-watering, and the actual products go together beautifully. Familiar Thai flavors are reconstructed around dishes that nod to but do not reproduce Thai cusine. Nice wines, a wonderful cocktail list that we didn't sample, and very decent prices for the high quality on offer. The service was good, timely and not interfering. They don't take reservations for parties under 6, so prefer choosing a visit out of peak times, or come with a crowd. Our visit was a Monday evening, earlyish. A must for Sydneysiders and visitors.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Ok I am a little biased we had our daughters wedding at Longrain about 5 years ago and the 60 or so who attended are still raving. Been back many times and yet to be disappointed. We think the best value is in a group of 4 or more people. It is really busy these days and no one will wipe the red curry off your tie for you (if you are looking for that type of service). It was ground breaking for Sydney when it opened and it still holds up now. If you are going for the food you will be well pleased.

1  Thank Paul D