“Bon appetite”

La Guillotine French Restaurant
Ranked #800 of 5,839 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Bon appetite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

Lovely menu , friendly staff , really tasty well presented food , very cosy bistro , makes a change from larger noisy places

Visited April 2014
1 Thank stcajc

Sydney
“Rough Around The Edges But Still Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

We've been to La Guillotine a number of times and it is always a good experience.

Service is friendly and efficient but tending towards homely rather than fine dining. The food however is great. I simply haven't ever had a steak as good as their Chateaubriand - full of flavor and incredibly tender. This chef really knows how to cook meat.

As others have commented, it is a little expensive but I still think it is worth it.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank flyer517
Orange, Australia
“Lonely night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I have the same birthday so we decided we would celebrate by going to La Guillotine which we haven't been to for years.The food was still great but as it was Melbourne Cup night we were the only ones in the whole restaurant so it was very quiet and the service was fast

Visited November 2013
1 Thank ILoveDogs2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Good but a little pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

We had dinner on a Saturday night. We both ordered steak which was excellent however the gravy appeared to be thickened with flour so let the meal down a bit and at $44 a serve I expected a little better.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Nooneelsehasthisname
Brisbane, Australia
“Not generally a french foodie but this was nice - and my frenchy friend agreed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

We visited La Guillotine during a Sydney weekend with our au pair who in true french style insited on celebrating her birthday at a french restaurant (we drew the line at going to McDonalds - her one true love).

No being a particular fan of french food, traditional or otherwise I did my ususal google reasearch and convinced Margaux that La Guillotine was a fabled Sydney institution and that it would be just like home - she believed me.

So, with some apprehension we walked from the hotel to La Guillotine and ended up enjoying a great little evening with wonderful staff and service, a very relaxed atmosphere and very good, traditional and incredibly well proced food and a good selection of regional french wines and champagne.

The menus were pretty much what one would find in any provincial french town - a good thing - without pretensions or airs. I understand the snails, which our Margaux was hankering for were delicious and as good as anything she would have had back home adn I can certanly vouch for the several bottles of wine we emptied and the food I had.

Highly recommend La Guillotine - you will not be dissapointed - but I still prefer italian food ;-)

• Visited May 2013