“Not generally a french foodie but this was nice - and my frenchy friend agreed”

La Guillotine French Restaurant
Ranked #1,154 of 6,032 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We visited La Guillotine during a Sydney weekend with our au pair who in true french style insited on celebrating her birthday at a french restaurant (we drew the line at going to McDonalds - her one true love).

No being a particular fan of french food, traditional or otherwise I did my ususal google reasearch and convinced Margaux that La Guillotine was a fabled Sydney institution and that it would be just like home - she believed me.

So, with some apprehension we walked from the hotel to La Guillotine and ended up enjoying a great little evening with wonderful staff and service, a very relaxed atmosphere and very good, traditional and incredibly well proced food and a good selection of regional french wines and champagne.

The menus were pretty much what one would find in any provincial french town - a good thing - without pretensions or airs. I understand the snails, which our Margaux was hankering for were delicious and as good as anything she would have had back home adn I can certanly vouch for the several bottles of wine we emptied and the food I had.

Highly recommend La Guillotine - you will not be dissapointed - but I still prefer italian food ;-)

1  Thank Luke G

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We come on a Thursday evening. The place was warm, quite and pleasant in contrast of the chaos of Townhall Station. We are greeted by a friendly french waitress.

We have garlic snail and onion soup for the entree'. The soup was outstanding. I have never been a fan of pumpkin, tomato or chicken and corn soup. This onion soup has made me re-think about my soup concept.

Then we had beef fillet + foie gras + red wine sauce and cream mushroom chicken. The beef is stunning. It is 180 degree different from the traditional Aussie steak in term of favor an texture. It is so flavorsome due to the foie gras. The meat is so tender and just melt away in our mouth.

For the desert we had long black coffee and crepes. Their crepes is awesome. The waitress holds plate of 2 crepes + 1 scoop of ice-creme + 1 ladle of firing liquor. To our amazement she pour the fire liquor on the crepe melt away the vanilla sugar on the crepes. The desert is not so sweet, fragrant with liquor and taste of orange juice and vanilla.

Conclusion: If you are thinking about going to a cool, posh and impressive place. It is not the place. The price is like three course meal in any five star hotel in Sydney. Again you will be paying for the "the taste" not "the look". We are there from 6:00am to 7:00pm. There was 4 other table. Most of them 60+. So you can understand it definitely not cool. But the atmosphere is calm and tranquil.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Staying nearby in Kent Street, and found La Guillotine.
Reasonably priced food and wine list, with some good french wines by the glass.
Nice 'bistro' style atmosphere, and not stuffy. Pleasant young french waiter.

Chateaubriand accompanied by bernaise sauce, and frittes... Creme Brulee si bon...

voilà!

1  Thank travellingchef
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Food was excellent staff perhaps a little too attentive as rushed to keep filling glass which wasn't necessary. They however we're polite and it was not a busy Thursday night. Generally enjoyed the meal particularly the French onion soup

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

my first experience in a French restaurant! fabulous amazing.... snails plus veil then amazing French cheese, beautiful champagne!

1  Thank 8Vanessa