“Great food and great service; would definitely dine again”
Review of Coast Restaurant

Coast Restaurant
Ranked #3,295 of 5,939 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Sydney
“Great food and great service; would definitely dine again”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I'm a little surprised by some of the feedback regarding Coast as our experience seems to have been so very different. My husband and I went to Coast for his birthday on a busy Saturday night and had a thoroughly wonderful experience.

Upon arrival, we were asked if we would like to be seated at our table straight way or whether we would like to have a drink on the roof top terrace first. We decided to have a drink on the terrace first and were not disappointed. The view of Darling Harbour was lovely and the service was exemplary.

After about half an hour, we decided to go back inside to our table and were looked after very well by one of the waitresses. She was attentive and friendly but not over the top with checking on us every two seconds. As we had ordered a starter on the terrace, we ordered mains straight away: barramundi and scotch fillet. Both meals were delectable. The scotch fillet was cooked exactly as my husband requested and my barramundi was gorgeous. We both also had dessert and, whilst I'm starting to run out of adjectives to describe the food, they were both scrumptious ... just the right amount of richness without being overly sickening. They even wrote on my husband's dessert plate a "Happy Birthday" in chocolate ... what a lovely touch. Coffees and all beverages were served timely as well.

We would absolutely dine there again. As mentioned we found the service to be at a perfect level ... just the right amount of attention and the food was fabulous. A lot of reviews seem to slam the decor but I thought it was appropriate for the type of restaurant it is. Most modern restaurants are quite open plan and the lighting was not too bright or too dark; just right for a nice atmosphere. We have already recommended Coast to a number of people and will continue to do so.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank kakil

Sydney, Australia
“Decent food but service is severely lacking”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had a $200 voucher & there were 6 in our party. The restaurant itself is located in a nice area with great views of Darling Harbour. The decor reminds one of eating in a massive dining hall - lighting was overly bright, walls a neutral white/cream with little or no partitions so the dining hall is 1 big cavernous room. Not much character or ambience & also extremely noisy. With the prices on the menu (averaging $25 for starters & $40+ for mains), one expects a little of a fine dining experience but sadly, it felt like dining in a large cafeteria. However our group was in a celebratory mood and we were not too fussed about the ambience.

The service overall was condescending, bordering on rude (tone of voice of service staff, eyebrows lifted etc.....such nuances were not lost on our group who are usually used to smiling staff with friendly banter). The obvious "English accent" put on by all the staff that served us (whether real or put on) was extremely haughty & NO smiles at all. However, it was efficient (water glasses topped up & our wines constantly filled) albeit without any finesse but rather disdainfully. This kind of snobbish attitude did spoil a little of our groups' mood. But credit must be given to the chefs as food came out swiftly despite the restaurant being full. The food was good - Alaskan crab soup, quail as entrees and lamb as main course was delicious. The beef ( scotch fillet though perfectly cooked medium rare was actually a little tough) could hv been better. Desserts were OK but not nicely dressed up as one would expect in a fine dining establishment. But overall, one could not fault the food.

It puzzled us as to why the restaurant with poor service could be full and a look around the clientele revealed alot of tourists and business type groups (probably from interstate having dinners after a conference or meeting). This restaurant is definitely not a place I'd be rushing back to despite the decent food. At the prices they charge, Sydney has so many better options where good food is paired with excellent service that also comes with a smile!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank scorpioshanghai
Surrey, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Hubby and I have loved coast on previous visits to sydney. This time (Christmas eve 2012) we had mixed feelings. I really enjoyed both my starter (crab broth and chive dumplings) and main (barramundi in a lovely lemon butter sauce with asparagus. Hubby declared the moroccan spiced chicken allright, nothing special. Mum's in law's spaghetti with clams was a real let down - she had asked for the chilli to be taken out but not all the flavour, also there was a mean helping of clams. Fig pudding was delicious. Service was really good when they were there but we were left looking around quite a bit, for example a long wait to order pud. Not enough staff on.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Andy and Jo G
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic location but food is only good for what you are paying for.”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Dined here for my daughter's 16th and son's 9th birthday.

Overall the restaurant, service & food was good but.....

The decor is beautiful and very spacious but the toilets need updating. There is a deck area outside with lounge seatings to soak up the atmosphere and waterfront view of darling harbour.

For entree, crab broth soup was delicious, the stuff quail with pigs trotter was nice but a bit on the dry side, needed some jus.

For mains, barramundi was nice but portion size a bit small, I had entree for main which was the scallop pie (size larger then a party pie) with salad @ 29.00 and the kids had beef fillet @ 45.00, now at that price you would expect a really nice piece of filet but it was really just a scotch fillet steak with sauteed mushrooms and spinach. Very disappointing and so were the kids.

Dessert - Passionfruit Bavarios - refreshing and really yum but the Summer Pudding was awful, the bread they used tasted like 2weeks old and it was dry, infact I think the pudding was 2weeks old.

Service was very attentive but the waitress would only top up a few of our glasses of water. Very Odd!!

Nice place but a bit expensive for the quality of the food esp. the steak.

• Visited January 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Poor service and lack of response to feedback”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

As an Executive Assistant I am constantly always on the look out for good restaurants,bars,hotels etc.
My MD suggested the Coast for a group booking of 10 during the week recently (Wed night) which included our new international CEO and a couple of key stakeholders in the business.
While the booking process was smooth and food was good, the poor service, lack of attention,non engagement by the wait staff was unacceptable (while not awful it was poor... this is the quote from my boss!) If you like being ignored and waiting to be served then this is the place to dine.
I contacted the restaurant the next afternoon to have a chat to the Events Manager regarding the feedback passed on from the team and was advised they would follow up and get back to me.
The non reply and lack of follow up that I have received to date is disappointing and highlights how insignificant our customer feedback is valued- especially with the $$$ that was spent!
Looking at the reviews there seems to be a common pattern with poor service and I hope they can rectify this.
It's all about return business and in the Cockle Bay area where there is a smorgesboard of restaraunts to choose from,I would hesitate to recommend Coast.

• Visited January 2013