“Interesting to visit once”
Review of Billy Kwong

Billy Kwong
Ranked #152 of 6,486 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2014

It is apparently difficult to get a table but we went with connected friends so if you want to visit I guess it would a good idea to book well in advance.

I wouldn't eat there regularly but for the novelty of eating rice with crickets and worms, it's a bit of a laugh.

We ate all sorts of stuff, wallaby tail which tasted a bit like spare ribs, and some kind of fried thing made out of salt bush (I think that's what it was called)

1  Thank Gf0rce

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed a lovely night here, the food was delicious, highly recommend the duck!! Waiter was very helpful and made us feel very welcome. Not too pricey for the quality of the food.

1  Thank AmandatheNurse
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Beginning to hit a low point on our Aussie culinary trip, and now fear cancelling China Doll in favour of Kylie's place may have been a mistake. It is essentially a cafe with tiny (I mean tiny) tables and stools to sit on, serving food of a very average nature. It also has a pretentious nature in relation to it's organic, sustainable context (is this an Aussie restaurant thing?). Don't misunderstand, we enjoyed it, but in the context of cost v experience it was well off the mark. Maybe we should have gone banquet menu, but we were worried about over-doing it. Crispy prawn won-tons with chilli sauce were wonderful. Sung Choi Bao of Pork, Ginger & Mushrooms less so, plus it is a very messy thing to eat for amateurs like ourselves un-used to folding lettuce to encapsulate the pork mixture. The signature crispy duck in orange was OK, bit too sweet for my taste (certainly not the "clean" taste Kylie espouses though. Not recommended.

3  Thank NW6_Traveller
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Brilliant -Fantastic - authentic
Worth queuing up for this- had the banquet menu - surprise after surprise Kylies take on regional Chinese master dishes
So impressed that I have been raving about this experience Go and enjoy !!!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

This might have been one of the first so called up market ( in price ) restaurants to do the teeny weeny sit on the stool experience . I love Kylies food , but its way too expensive now for what it is especially having to eat at a cramped table sitting on a teeny stool . I wanted to go again , but I got outside the door , saw the stools are still there , looked at the crazy prices on the menu and thought NAAAAAAAAA...... i'll go and sit on a shabby vinyl chair somewhere and eat duck for a quarter of the price , at least I won't get a sore back and I will have enough money left over to eat well a few times again.
Some times things are good , and its good to go once , but then when you think you want to try to go back , you realise it just won't be worth it .
Kylies food is good , but the total concept is missing something ...Its like a kind of punishment , in order to eat her delicious food we need to be punished by paying too much for the experience and suffering discomfort while we dine .

2  Thank Saskiagrav