“As Good As Ever” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bills Darlinghurst

Bills Darlinghurst
Reserve with
Bills Darlinghurst is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #228 of 5,816 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Darlinghurst
Description: Bills Darlinghurst, this is where it all began, in 1992. The miniscule kitchen and tiny dining room in one of Darlo's old backstreet pub buildings, serving just a blackboard-menu breakfast and lunch, set the tone for bills still does today. Local by-laws allowed only a few seats - hence the now much-copied communal table where everyone eats together, reading the newspaper or striking up a conversation with the person enjoying scrambled eggs next to them. Today, it's still a simple Sydney corner cafe, serving a menu of bills classics.
Paso Robles, California
“As Good As Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Made a bee line to Bills for breakfast on our latest trip to Sydney. Outstanding as always. Corn fritters very good. Ricotta pancakes outstanding. Coffee very good, service excellent. The space is attractive as is the location. When a friend of the people at the table next to us wedged himself in between tables with his bum in our faces, the manager immediately noticed and moved us to another table. Kudos.

1 Thank Dsbrown93446

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Miami
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Have to agree with bland bland reviewer”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I were really looking forward to breakfast at 'Bills' on a recent trip to Sydney, as foodies and rave reviews from friends who had been in past it seemed like it would tick all the boxes for a lazy Sunday am breakfast.

We were lucky to get seated quickly and watched in disgust a poor heavily pregnant woman stand in line waiting for our half hour visit, I believe in many other places a chair would have been offered while she waited for her table not only is it inconsiderate it sets the scene to a low level of service to other diners as far as I am concerned, and yes I was in hearing distance to know she was never offered.

Food, wow what can I say...my 4 yr old makes me better every other Sunday am. I must admit I did misread the menu and believe I had ordered 2 poached eggs on sourdough with side serve of sausages. What I got was 2 boiled eggs and sourdough fingers....hello where is the skill in that??? I can not believe that is even on a menu...unless they have a chicken out the back, make the sourdough from scratch (inc. sausages) nothing involves skill. And if they are making the sausages and sour dough they should stop wasting their time and buy it as it tastes just like brought stuff from a local butcher and bakery so again where is the skill for what you are 'paying top dollar for'? I didn't even have a garnish, how much does parsley cost these days, grow some in the kitchen maybe? Presentation was so boring and bland.

My husband had the hotcakes and Ok they were nice but definitely not worth the rave reviews or cost. There are soooo many better places in the Surry Hills/Darlinghurst area that are nicer and cheaper (not that we mind paying but it has to be worth it).

I am disappointed we didn't eat at another venue now for Sunday brekkie on my short stay on our foodie weekend luckily all our old haunts for lunch and dinner were still amazing and it didn't ruin our stay but I would not rush back or recommend, funnily enough I only read the reviews on here after we left and most people can only recommend 2 items the hotcakes and corn fritters (which I remember my Dad who couldn't/never cooked made us as kids so not sure what's so red hot about those).

Overall I think the venue is nice but the menu needs a serious look at as with sites like this reputation may have once got people in the door but that's now not guaranteed. Shame too because I wanted this place to be great like the other places we send ourselves and others to regularly when in Sydney.

1 Thank MotherMiami
Melbourne, Australia
“Interesting Food and Charming, Helpful Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

An inveterate eater out, this has to be one of my favorite places. The offerings were creative, complex and absolutely delicious. Service was prompt without being rushed and there was no rush to move on. Definitely worth a return visit or twenty! Any chance of Bill setting up in Melbourne?

Melbourne, Australia
“BLAND FOOD BLAND STAFF”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Having eaten at Bill's previous establishment...this time was just boring.
The cafe is bland, eggs were tasteless and swimming in butter....the iced tea tasteless.

Staff were just okay, did give that air of 'doing you a favour'.
In today's competitive market, time to smarten up this joint !

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MDR_11
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Recommended brunch/ breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Not a place you will find around the harbour / circular keys main tourist area but well worth looking up , take train linefrom Central station towards Bondi Junction and alight at Kings Cross just a short walk you'll find this small & friendly cafe / restaurant.
We decided to try their famous ricotta hot cakes with banana & maple syrup & the scrambled egg with bacon ( you can choose lots of extras ) both were delicious, this brunch set us up for a short walk to visit the Westfield shopping center and the Sydney Tower .i would recommend this place to anyone and hope to try Bills place in London when we get home