“Tales of gustatory delight”
Review of Bills Darlinghurst

Bills Darlinghurst
Ranked #258 of 6,144 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Darlinghurst
Description: Bills Darlinghurst, this is where it all began, in 1992. The miniscule kitchen and tiny dining room in one of Darlo's old backstreet pub buildings, serving just a blackboard-menu breakfast and lunch, set the tone for bills still does today. Local by-laws allowed only a few seats - hence the now much-copied communal table where everyone eats together, reading the newspaper or striking up a conversation with the person enjoying scrambled eggs next to them. Today, it's still a simple Sydney corner cafe, serving a menu of bills classics.
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is one of my favorite breakfast places in the world. Why? Because breakfast is my favorite.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I only had one thing , just the beetroot soup , topped with a horseradish flavoured sour cream .... it was so delicious , I am recommending you go there and try it .
Others on nearby tables were eating chopped salads, the lady next to me a plump schnitzel, her friend a hamburger with chips. They were all saying how they enjoyed their meals . There were nice looking cookies and cakes displayed on ledges ....I was just happy with the soup, it tasted fresh , a little crunchy even the beetroot colourful and flavoursome.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I used to live around the corner from Bill's and used to beg my then boyfriend to take me there for breakfast. I think they put real cream in their scrambled eggs which makes them delicious! Their butter is to die for as well. And yes, they have awesome coffee. As someone who loves breakfast, I miss that place. Bill's needs to open up a place here in LA.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

We loved the zucchini fries. We ate at the Crown Street restaurant and it was most enjoyable. There was traditional Australian food on the menu, such as lamb and pavlova of which I had both and they were very both delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant, we took some visitors to Australia here with us and they both also enjoyed the food.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

SOME RESERVATIONS: Bill's has 3 locations in the Sydney area. Our visit was for breakfast in Darlinghurst. The layout for this small restaurant is clean and warm with large windows, white walls and honey wood colors, like eating in your own breakfast room at home.

The restaurant attracts those who wish to be seen and the smartly attired group.

I will let pass the attempted 'attitude' from the host (amusing to a seasoned traveller), I was there for the food and I will judge based upon that alone.

Unfortunately, the food does not live up to expectations. I had the signature ricotta pancakes and my guest had the equally well known corn fritters.

The pancakes were thick and dry (where was the ricotta) and I couldn't figure out the "honeycomb" butter, several large slices of cold butter marbled with honey (who wants to eat butter straight up?). The corn fritter was somewhat better though it hit no particular flavor point and was a disjointed dish with salad and bacon piled atop the fritter. Everything though was nicely presented and the wait staff did a good job. Coffee was quite good and of note.

The restaurant was striving for creative and inspiring but the jumble of flavor notes rang flat with me and my guest. We would have preferred a classic execution, do one thing well and unfortunately the execution came off as confused.

The tab is moderately pricey figure $20-25 a person for breakfast.

1  Thank roadwarrior30