“A total rip-off - overpriced with surly service”

Bentley Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #74 of 5,939 Restaurants in Sydney
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Auckland, New Zealand
“A total rip-off - overpriced with surly service”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I came here with a group of friends. I didn't make the booking myself but the lady who did certainly hadn't appreciated that we would have to have a group menu - 3 courses for $95, a 5 course tasting menu for $105 or a 10 course tasting menu for a price I can't remember. Of course we all had to have the same so those who wanted the 5 course or those who only wanted 1 course were always going to be disappointed. In the end we all went for 3 courses but they agreed some of us could have starter and main for $75.

The portions were tiny and while the food was nice enough, it was not that stunning. The seared scallops with smoked eel and sweet potato contained 2 chopped up scallops and the smoked eel was in a puree so not very distinguishable. For the main I had beef which came with a thick slick of something that looked like marmite but tasted of nothing. With this we had 5 small bowls of vegetables between 12 of us which was nowhere near enough.

So that was the food - possibly a 3 out of 5. However, the service and wine situation brings that down. The reception was frosty. In fact, there wasn't a reception. Our table was not ready and we were left waiting for around 30 minutes (and our booking was already a late one). People were ravenous by this point. The staff were just the unfriendliest people I have ever have serve me. The wine list is ridiculously expensive. We wanted some pinot gris for the white to keep the chardonnay and sauvignon haters happy. However, of the 3 listed, the only one they had available was the most costly of over $200.

So, all in all, disappointing plus plus plus. I don't live in Sydney so definitely won't be tempted back. Maybe we just had a bad experience and a cosy dinner for 2 would have been nicer. Reading the other reviews here, I doubt it. Up themselves is the best phrase that springs to mind but I'm too polite to put that in the title.

In the end we paid $122 each - quite a lot for a glass of bubbles, a starter, a main and a glass of wine

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank nesbitevans

“Won't return”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Went here for a few drinks. They definitely need more staff, it felt like we spent most of our time trying to flag down a waiter to order drinks which never makes for a fun night. There were only 3 on duty and they were run off their feet servicing the restaurant. The wine by the glass is severely overpriced, not much cheaper than a cocktail. OK for couples, I'd suggest going somewhere else if you're in a group looking for a good time.

• Visited April 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Rolls Royce at Bentley!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

It's been a few years since I dined here. Meet & greet was warm & professional. Wait staff were under the pump which led to a lack of attention at times, however they were always smiling, friendly & professional. Food was exemplary, seasoned to perfection, looking modern & cutting edge. Wine list was outstanding, we had a 1988 Marc Bredif Vouvray & a 2000 Lakes Folly Cabernets, perfectly matched with the food. Highly recommend to all.

“Ok food”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Good restaurant for the price and food, had the fish and also tried the venison which was a doubt as I had never tried it but it was quite good and cooked to taste. The food is placed beautifully in the plate. They have an amazing chocolate bar you must take away too but for the rest of the desert it didnt quite made it. I went to this restaurant over a year ago and the menu is still same tho but not too expensive and although the place is not too fancy it works well for romantic dinner.

• Visited April 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Didn't quite hit the mark”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Booked in to cellebrate a special occasion with some friends, after reading reviews online. We were very excited. Didn't choose to go with the tasting option but ordered dishes to share - entrees, a main for each person, and then shared the desserts. I must say the highlight were deffinately the desserts, both we tried - peppercorn icecream and the macademia were fantastic! Very creative and looked and tasted good. The main was a disappointmemt - the fish dish smelled extremely strong - we asked why and the waiter told us it was because of the prawn bisque sauce - however, it was really barely edible :( The waiter offered some bread? and even to exchange the dish - however the two people who ordered it, didn't end up asking for a replacement, as that would have meant they would be eating alone by the time their replacement arrived. I must say that fish really put a dampner on the night - if that wasn't served, I would have given the restaurant 4 out of 5. The entree's were fun and playful and overall were pretty good. The wine menue was long - however we were not allowed to open our French bottle of Champagne we brought for the occasion, which was extremely disappointing! The waiters did a pretty good job, however I did have to ask them to come get the plates away and refill our water flassed. Overall the ambience is nice and if it wasn't for that horrendous main dish of Mulloway it would have really been a good experience. However I doubt I will return.

• Visited March 2013