“Different, tasty food and good service”

African Feeling Cafe
Ranked #1,742 of 5,841 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: African
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Newtown
Nerja, Spain
“Different, tasty food and good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Pleasantly surprised with the variety and tasty food, similar to Moroccan cuisine, though had dishes from different regions.

The ginger beer was a highlight along with the goat curry which fell off the bone.

Very pleasant staff, would return again

• Visited March 2013

• Greek first
Sydney
“Unique”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

As a local cafe this is a place we visit from time to time. What we love is that it is quirky and different. Not an extensive menu and there are times when things aren't available - don't go with high expectations and leave with a giggle...... Especially after the live show..

Visited February 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Very popular, seems authentic - a bit cramped”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

My friend and I went on a Friday night recently. We had no reservation but managed to score a table, the restaurant soon filled up though. At first we thought our table right next to the counter wasn't so good but once the restaurant filled we were glad not to be at one of the other tables where people have to walk by you.
The ginger drinks are very refreshing and have a VERY strong ginger zing. We got the shared mixed platter for entree $18 for 3 choices was a good deal.
I had a goat curry and my friend the fish curry, both were delicious. The fish was kind of like butter chicken-ey very orange quite sweet, I know people might think that a little offensive but I remember clearly thinking it had that taste when I had a mouthful of fish.
The goat was tender and the spinach really came through. I also orded fufu some cereal ball savoury thing that apparently you eat with your hands. When I ordered it, I wasn't quite prepared for the answer about it being a bit difficult to eat as you use your hands...I'm all for experiences but in actual fact it's also easy to eat it with a knife and fork if you so desire. It doesn't really taste of much but has an interesting texture.
Great to take someone to broaden their experiences I reckon, but not really a romantic venue due to the closeness of all the tables.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank maoritraveller
Sydney
“A mixed bag of African cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

A friend and i dined in African Feeling Cafe in Newtown recently. Saturday was chosen mainly because it had live music - a 2 man African band, which was lively and entertaining. Food choices were apparently spread out from different regions of Africa. What we ordered was tasty enough. When asked, we were told that there was a female African chef. The waitresses were Nepalese girls, who were courteous. Decor and ambience was plain but functional and not fanciful. It is a BYO grog, with a bottle shop a bit away, so we decided to go without it. Overall, it was an enjoyable night with good food. Kilimanjaro, the other main African restaurant in the area had closed down, so this one now instead is a reasonably good African option.

• Visited December 2012
Sydney, Australia
“different food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Worth trying, quite spicy, a bit stodgy, vegetarian options, good service, pleasant surroundgings. If only parking was not such a problem in Newtown.

• Visited October 2012