“What you see is what you get.”

Central Private Hotel
Ranked #42 of 60 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Cheap, small, clean, free wi-fi, outdated, no view, small windows, thin walls, barely no service, computer in room.

But again: cheap, good location.

Don't book if you intend to spend time other than sleeping in the room.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jostein R

Reviewed December 26, 2012

This budget hotel is somewhat dated. The furnishings are old. However it is clean and the wi if is very. Very good water pressure and loads of hot water . Great location and the manager Young is extremely helpful. A great place to stay to see Sydney on a budget

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Markqree
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed two nights (Sat/Sun} at $59 and $69 in a single room with ensuite. I wanted a bed and bathroom for minimal cost, which this was. The chap on the desk was very helpful and provided a hair dryer and carried my bags up and down the stairs, etc. I was Christmas shopping and the money I saved on accom was much appreciated. I was in room 7 (pictured above). It was very clean, and I found the bed comfortable and clean. Another pillow would have been appreciated though.There was a computer with free internet and a wifi password if you wanted to use your own. I did not see a single cockroach or any bugs at all. The window didn't have a screen so I shut it overnight but there was a fan in the room so I was happy enough. The TV worked well, as did the fridge, kettle etc. The shower was good with decent water pressure and it stayed hot. The room was small, like a uni student's room, but as I was alone it was sufficient. Decor is a little 'out there'. I had a great sleep and found it very quiet for my whole stay. I didn't see the communal bathrooms, so can't comment on these.

I walked to the Markets, Darling Harbour and the Pitt St malls, but took a train to the Rocks and Circular Quay. The hotel is just a short walk to Central Station, and trains are available to all sites if you don't want to walk that far.

I have stayed at 5 star places in Sydney and have paid up to $40 for 24 hours internet access. I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a cheap bed for the night. If you are looking for luxury go elsewhere. I felt safe and was comfortable during my stay. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlook a carpark and were quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank 762Karen
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed here for a week in December. I'm a student, so naturally on a budget - but I'm also one of those people that can't bear communal bathrooms unless there's no other choice. So I picked the double ensuite. I knew that the price was a little higher than what the place usually charges during the year, but so was every other hotel/backpacker's/budget lodges too (as it's nearing holiday peak-period) The room was modest, but I was just happy that it offered the privacy I needed for my stay, for the price I was paying. Mine was a good size, but I saw a few of the other rooms when I went out in the morning (if their doors were opened). The ones with a single bed is pretty small. Like 'student-hostel'-size. So don't stay here if you want room to pace or a furnished apartment. The best things about staying here was: the nice, friendly staff. Reception took the time to explain things in detail, and also offered to carry the luggage. That's already more than I would expect from a budget hotel. Another great thing was the free wi-fi and computer available, although I had my laptop with me anyway. It's great that they don't charge for the wi-fi use as some hotels do. This hotel was a great option, if you wanted an ensuite room that wasn't expensive at all, and close to Central Station. It's literally 2 minutes walk, so pretty sweet if you were going to use public transport to get to places. The thing you have to understand about this place is that it's no 3 or 4 or 5 star hotel. There are things that will certainly bother you if you're a slob, or precious. It's an older building. And I don't think the owners are well-off enough or can be bothered to put in new carpet or flooring in the hallway. But I mean, who cares - it's the floor. And it's not my house. I have to admit, I wish they painted the walls a more neutral color. The murky green didn't bother me really, but I can imagine it would horrify a good deal of souls. Unfortunately, housekeeping could be better - they kind of make your bed everyday - I emphasize the 'kind-of'. They change your towel and linens if you need, empty your bin, and top up your free tea-bags, but they don't wash your dishes for you, and I don't think they vacuum every day. So all you slobs out there: Be warned, you'll need to rinse your own cups and bowls. When I checked in, I remember the room smelling like it had just been bleached to oblivion - so at least I know they've cleaned and disinfected it. Comes with a fan, kettle, and fridge. I liked that the fan had a 'sleep mode'. The shower I got was very small. But it's no big deal if you don't actually take baths in a hotel anyway. It took me a while to get the hang of the shower. I don't know about the other showers, but for mine, you had to get the right adjustment so that the water stays consistantly warm, instead of going hot and cold and hot and cold. Just the way it was, but I was just happy that I didn't need to share or brush my teeth next to strangers (I'm quite precious about that.) The bed was neat and well-made during my arrival, and the pillows were really nice. I think it was some sort of memory-foam. For a budget hotel in the month of December, I give it a 4 out of 5.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank S L
Reviewed November 27, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
6  Thank Kaye C
Reviewed September 24, 2012

They claim to be newly decorated - not true. Stayed in room 26 - cracks in 3 of 4 walls. Fire alarm is falling apart. Ceiling paint is peeling and I am in a double with ensuite and paying 95 a night average for 2 weeks. Also the hall carpet has big gaps in the joins and floorboards are visible. Rooms are small - my wife and I and two pieces of luggage do not fit in the room. Not all advertised features are available (alarm and hair dryer are just two to mention). Only saving grace is central location. There are better in central for a little more. Cannot wait to check out.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank WRPB
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed here 3 nights.

Very cheap and very close to Central Station, but quite a steep uphill climb from station - it's the wrong side of station for the city centre and Circular Quay but admittedly not very far the wrong side.

Steep stairs - no lift. Room and en suite were clean and room was quiet.

But room was airless, small, very drab, hard bed, holey blanket.

OK to crash out in for a few nights but I would much rather pay a little more for something better.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple