“Clean and well-located, not at all fancy - but you're not paying for that.”

Valentine On George
Ranked #120 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Fantastic location just off George St and within a few minutes' walk from Central Station. Close to Chinatown and Darling Harbour, and an easy walk to the CBD.

The hotel is small, but the rooms are spacious for the price. Yes, the floors are concrete, and the rooms are furnished in a quirky style, but the rooms are serviced every day and a complimentary copy of the local tabloid is thrown in for those of us who enjoy a laugh. There is a sitting area separate to the bed and cushions on a window box, so there isn't a feeling that the room is just space around a bed. However, there wasn't any lighting over the area, so you had to sit on the bed to have enough light to read by in the evenings.

We didn't try the restaurant downstairs or room service, but the prices seemed reasonable. We were able to store our bags securely, free of charge, the day we checked out.

Would I stay here again? Yes, absolutely. If you want a gym and a business centre, this might not be the place for you. But the price you paid for the room will have given you a clue about what facilities to expect.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rubycles

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed a few nights, great location, nice modern rooms.
Bed hard as rocks and fridge didn't work.
Staff friendly but couldn't resolve any real hard pressed queries / issues so we had to live no fridge over the 5 days which wasn't flash.
If on special would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Brendon L
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great location, central station is a stones throw away. The bed was really hard so I didn't sleep well. Staff were polite. Was basic but that's all we needed we spent majority of our weekend out and about.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank EmmaK82
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very centrally located hotel, pleasant enough only things that would let them down a bit is the staff can be hard to locate and I don't think a fourteen inch tube tv cuts in 2013 (even though it is in a weird mirrored cube thing) aside from that pretty good all round.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Nilaz
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My friends and I stayed in the terrace suite over the June long weekend. I was a little worried as to what we would walk into considering some of the reviews but I must say that we were more than impressed. Other then some lighting issues I would highly recommend the terrace suite for spacious room, big bathrooms, a lovely outdoor deck and clean sheets and towels daily and also a short stroll to almost anywhere in the city. The customer service was great, very accommodating. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Dv90
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband, myself and our baby enjoyed our 3 night stay at this establishment. We got a great rate on Wotif.com ($110 per night for a mid week stay). The furnishings were interesting but we really liked them. The place reminded me a lot of a New York style apartment. We appreciated the layout of the room - long and skinny - because it meant there was plenty of room to set up the porta-cot away from the little tv/sitting area. Would be great if the room had simple cooking facilities (eg microwave/toaster) however being so close to Chinatown meant that there were lots of cheap eats around. We found the staff to be extremely friendly and the place had more of a family feed to it rather that a sterile big hotel. On one of the nights we had dinner at the Malaysian restaurant which forms part of the hotel and were very happy with our meal...and the price. We would definitely stay here again as we really appreciated the convenience of the location. This place is definitely not for people who like hotels with all the trimmings...however that is not us.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank dpr10
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Someone spent some serious money on this place at some point in the past trying to create a 4 star hotel. The rooms are still comfortable but are now a little tired and not everyone will like the decor. Definitely not a great option for a romantic getaway but if you get a room at a discount price it is a good option for anyone who wants to stay near Central train station or who wants easy access to Haymarket (Chinatown). Just a short walk further up George Street (away from CBD) is an entrance to the underground tunnel which takes you to both Railway Square for buses and the Devonshire St entrance of Central Station for trains. Chinatown is literally only minutes walk away in the other direction.

I stayed in a room on the 6th floor which was comfortable and apart from the noise from people transiting the common area it was very quiet. They offer free Internet but it isn't wireless so you'll need a network cable. I didn't have one so I can't confirm it works. You also get a newspaper every day.

Yes the reception is basic and often unmanned but the staff are friendly if not always the most knowledgeable about things in the area. I've had worse service from shinier receptions in Hong Kong. The front doors are always locked and the lifts require a door card to work so security is good.

Yes they didn't have a room ready when I arrived at 1pm but they gladly stored my bag and it was waiting for me in my room when I got back to the hotel later that afternoon.

Yes the single lift does open into a very small common area on each floor. People coming and going through this area is actually the greatest source of noise when you are in the room.

Yes the floors in the rooms are painted concrete but there are also white toweling slip ons in sealed packets in the wardrobe so you don't have to walk on them barefoot.

Yes their website is basic and their booking system antiquated but in my case it worked.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo