“Quirky decor, central location”

Valentine On George
Ranked #117 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very centrally located hotel, pleasant enough only things that would let them down a bit is the staff can be hard to locate and I don't think a fourteen inch tube tv cuts in 2013 (even though it is in a weird mirrored cube thing) aside from that pretty good all round.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Nilaz
There are newer reviews for Valentine On George

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My friends and I stayed in the terrace suite over the June long weekend. I was a little worried as to what we would walk into considering some of the reviews but I must say that we were more than impressed. Other then some lighting issues I would highly recommend the terrace suite for spacious room, big bathrooms, a lovely outdoor deck and clean sheets and towels daily and also a short stroll to almost anywhere in the city. The customer service was great, very accommodating. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Dv90
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband, myself and our baby enjoyed our 3 night stay at this establishment. We got a great rate on Wotif.com ($110 per night for a mid week stay). The furnishings were interesting but we really liked them. The place reminded me a lot of a New York style apartment. We appreciated the layout of the room - long and skinny - because it meant there was plenty of room to set up the porta-cot away from the little tv/sitting area. Would be great if the room had simple cooking facilities (eg microwave/toaster) however being so close to Chinatown meant that there were lots of cheap eats around. We found the staff to be extremely friendly and the place had more of a family feed to it rather that a sterile big hotel. On one of the nights we had dinner at the Malaysian restaurant which forms part of the hotel and were very happy with our meal...and the price. We would definitely stay here again as we really appreciated the convenience of the location. This place is definitely not for people who like hotels with all the trimmings...however that is not us.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank dpr10
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Someone spent some serious money on this place at some point in the past trying to create a 4 star hotel. The rooms are still comfortable but are now a little tired and not everyone will like the decor. Definitely not a great option for a romantic getaway but if you get a room at a discount price it is a good option for anyone who wants to stay near Central train station or who wants easy access to Haymarket (Chinatown). Just a short walk further up George Street (away from CBD) is an entrance to the underground tunnel which takes you to both Railway Square for buses and the Devonshire St entrance of Central Station for trains. Chinatown is literally only minutes walk away in the other direction.

I stayed in a room on the 6th floor which was comfortable and apart from the noise from people transiting the common area it was very quiet. They offer free Internet but it isn't wireless so you'll need a network cable. I didn't have one so I can't confirm it works. You also get a newspaper every day.

Yes the reception is basic and often unmanned but the staff are friendly if not always the most knowledgeable about things in the area. I've had worse service from shinier receptions in Hong Kong. The front doors are always locked and the lifts require a door card to work so security is good.

Yes they didn't have a room ready when I arrived at 1pm but they gladly stored my bag and it was waiting for me in my room when I got back to the hotel later that afternoon.

Yes the single lift does open into a very small common area on each floor. People coming and going through this area is actually the greatest source of noise when you are in the room.

Yes the floors in the rooms are painted concrete but there are also white toweling slip ons in sealed packets in the wardrobe so you don't have to walk on them barefoot.

Yes their website is basic and their booking system antiquated but in my case it worked.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank escoteric
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located near central and walking distance of everything you could want-Darling Harbour, the shops. However, I was quite disappointed by the hotel itself. Reception is basic and boxy, with the receptionists not even wearing uniform and they still have filing systems that are not on the computers. They forgot that we were staying for more than one night and then laughed it off. It seemed quite unprofessional in general. When you get out of the lifts you are faced with a cupboard sized hallway which is claustrophobic. The room itself did not feel warm and welcoming-there were no pictures, concrete floors and sparse decorating. Our 'king size' bed was two singles which was very annoying. The bathroom was much nicer but there was dust everywhere. Overall the room was not nice to stay in and felt very cold. I know it is expensive to stay here so I was surprised what we got for our money-it was really not worth it. Our friends stayed in the Raddisson for an extra 40 a night and it was miles better than our hotel. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ellabella221
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This was a lovely hotel to stay at. Everything is in walking distance, and China Town is only a couple of blocks away. It was easy to check in, and the staff were lovely and helpful. The rooms are very chic and have very modern decor. I would definitely recommend staying here, and my partner and I will definitely book again if we ever come back to Sydney.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rika M
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Wonderful location close to transport and China Town. Had 3 nights. The room was different floor plan it was long and thin, Had a King sized bed which was great firm mattress. The TV was too small in a small cube box which was different. But then your there for a holiday - not to watch TV all day. Room serviced daily. Bathroom spacious, good water pressure and the secure heavy door made it soundproof.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple