“Don't Go There...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments
Ranked #105 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
UK
“Don't Go There...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2010

My advice on this establishment can be summed up in three words; "Don't go there". You can see from the reviews on here that at best the experience at Oaks Goldsbrough is a lottery and at worst it is a nightmare.

I checked into a studio apartmrnt which was mouldy, dirty and disgusting. I asked to be moved but there were no other rooms available that night so I had to stay 2 nights in this filthy apartment before being moved (if I hadn't prepaid the accommodation through a travel agent I would have checked out in the first 30 minutes).

The apartment that I was moved to was cleaner but still a little run down and the whole place is very poor value for money. It reminded me of a student hall of residence but I think most students keep their accommodation cleaner that the management of this place does.

If you are thinking of booking this place I would just suggest that you look at the photos that I took and ask yourself if you can accept this standard. I promise you there is better accommodation at the price in Sydney. If you do decide to stay here then I wish you luck.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank DanielManc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Brisbane
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

we arrived rather late 10.30pm. There were a few incidents being dealt with by reception (to do with pipes leaking - into rooms!) and so had a LONG wait...there was only one person on reception. The room was ok - due to the layout of the building, it can be noisy. The location is great - near Darling Harbour. But my one issue above all was the rudeness of the staff. And be careful - if you book and pay for 3, be prepared to have to fork out additional money for the 3rd person when you arrive!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Bristol
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

We travelled to Sydney via Perth and arrived late at night. We found it impossible to get in,until someone else was leaving,as the big doors to the block were locked.
When we booked in we discovered that we had to leave a $200 bond, which we didn't expect. And like a previous reviewer,my credit card wasn't accepted. Luckily my husband's was. The man at reception said it must be because I hadn't kept a record of everything we had spent whilst on holiday! How rude!
We were on the 6th floor. We had trouble with the lift, as the receptionist didn't explain to us how to use our room card key to operate it. Another hotel guest had to do that!
When we got out on the 6th floor I nearly died! All open plan metal walkways! One of my children is exteremly scared of heights and panicked. Was a dreadful experience. You can look over side of walkway and see up to 12th floor and down to the ground. Don't drop anything as you'll not get it back.When we got to our appartment,we discovered that there was no extra bed for our 3rd child. My husband phoned reception, who told us that we had a sofa bed in the lounge, and we were paying $30 per night extra to use it! So any guest who didn't use the sofabed, but still had one in their appartment, didn't have to pay the extra $30 per night! I think that is a rip off!
Really think hard before you stay here. The hotel is within walking dustance to Darling Harbour, which is the only positive. Don't stay there if you don't like lifts or heights. There are no accessible stairs. My husband tried to use the stairs and got locked in the stair case. Also there are only 3 lifts for 500 guests. We waited over 20 minutes one morning to get down to the ground floor.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

I had a bad start to my experience at this facility as I arrived with a tired toddler and had to wait until about a minute until the official check-in time as my room was not ready. This was despite many others being able to go into their rooms significantly earlier. I did not find the staff at the reception desk very helpful at all and they definitely did not put customers first.

Other than the bad reception staff, I found the one bedroom apartment to be modern, clean, comfortable and great to stay in. We had Foxtel, a dishwasher and a dryer. We were only on the third floor so did not have any views other than a carpark building but I still found the apartment private. It had everything I needed and was very comfortable for two adults and a child.

It was a bit noisy at times as you can hear people in the hallway and some people are loud here and the lifts were very dodgy. Other than that, no complaint.

The staff need to learn to put customers first as other than that I had a good experience with the actual accommodation.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
New Caledonia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

Imagine staying at a hotel where all 141 rooms open onto a 13-floor exposed metal catwalk. Poor, poor design if you relish peace and quiet. You hear the echoed noise of every single conversation, door slam, and footsteps to all 141 rooms in this converted warehouse style hotel. If you value a little sleep when you are on a well-deserved vacation DO NOT STAY at the Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments Hotel. Between the partiers coming in at 3:30am and the early 5 am risers we averaged 3-4 hours of sleep per night. Complained twice during our 4-night stay but got no results. Had it not been Anzac long weekend we might have had better luck finding another hotel. The room also smelled like an ash tray and the walls are thin which adds to the noise level. Both lamps in the 1-bed apartment were damaged and the oven door did not close properly in our dated room. There is no ramp or doorman so you must navigate several stairs with heavy luggage to get into the place. Definitely no more than a 2 star.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NewCaledoniaExpat
Wimborne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

I've read some of the less than glowing reviews about The Oaks and wonder whether people appreciate that this beautifully renovated building is a former wool warehouse - not a purpose-built hotel. Those wanting a bland, modern, corporate-style international hotel would be well advised to look elsewhere. Our 3-night stay in March 2007 was very enjoyable with no problems. The room was clean and modern having a flat screen TV, CD/DVD player, fridge, washing machine - in fact most of what any reasonable person would want. The floors throughout the building were especially unusual being of highly polished, dark wood (I suspect they are original from the days when the building was used to store wool). Appreciate The Oaks its history and the fact that it's a bit different, and you will be sure to enjoy your stay. P.S. There's a great little cafe next door (where we had breakfast) just turn left as you come out of the front door.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
bristol uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

We, family of 4, stayed in a 2 bed 2 bathroom apartment. We could not have asked for anything better. The location is about 5 minutes walk from the harbourside and close to public transport. The apartment was very clean and functional. 2 good sized bedrooms and 2 baths 1 with laundry facilities. The housekeeping staff replaced the consumables on a daily basis. It was an interesting conversion of industrial premises that we thought really worked - no noise issues for us. Good leisure facilities ( indoor pool/jacuzzi). Helpful reception staff. If I were to return to Sydney I would stay there. We booked via hotels.com and got a really great deal on the price.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family