New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #100 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
london
“Not a great experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2006

Oh I wish I had read these reviews before I booked!
I booked on the basis that I had stayed at the Oaks group hotels before on a trip to australia. The Maestri in Sydney is very pleasant as is the Horizons in Adelaide but everything these reviews say about this hotel are true.

The good bits - its bang on Darling harbour and if you get a Harbour view room its great, if not, you'll be looking at a car park. Because you are the other side of Darling Harbour you will forever be getting the monorail into the city as opposed to just walking around the corner.

The central corridor to the rooms look like an upmarket prison. It is open so you can hear doors slamming on every floor at any hour of the day or night. The bedrooms are on the coridoor side and although they have a window you have to keep the blinds shut to stop people looking in, it effectively feels like you have no windows.

The apartments are individually owned and decorated. They have high ceilings. Mine had a dark stained wooden floor. Every wall was painted brown and the skirting boards and windows were dark brown, coupled with quite a small window this was extremely depressing. I checked out after 2 nights.

I am still having problems getting my money back since I prepaid via the oaks website and the hotel could not refund my credit card but have to send off to their head office to get it done. Who knows if I will ever see my money again.

Woefully dissapointing, you could do so much better in terms of nice hotels.

• Stayed January 2006
10 Thank mad4travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2005

The Goldsbrough has a different feel to the place than you would expect as it is a converted wool warehouse.I think some of the reviews are really over the top.We stayed there for 4 nights.The apartments were spacious and clean.The kitchen had everything that was required.The place was in a great location 5 minutes away from Darling harbour.The staff were very friendly.Ok it's not 5 star luxury but you get what you pay for in this world.I thought it was value for money in a really good location.As we stayed in an apartment I can't comment on the studios

• Stayed November 2005
    • 4 of 5 stars
7 Thank Papadopoulous
bury lancs
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2005

We're obviously not alone in our condemnation of this appalling apartment building. Oh how I wish I'd read the reviews before booking what I was told was a luxury four star apartment! It was filthy,dark,depressing,noisy and poorly maintained, and all the other things you will read in the previous reviews. Some of the staff were less than helpful, although one lady in particular felt so sorry for us she waived the extra $20 per night we should have paid for an upgrade. Sadly in our ignorance we thought a one bedroom apartment might be better....Oh no. For the price we paid we could have stayed at the Ibis which I know is a good hotel and even nearer to Darling Harbour. Please Please Do Not stay here. We will be sending a letter of complaint to the Oaks Group. It won't do us any good but at least it may stop someone else suffering the same fate!

• Stayed October 2005
    • 2 of 5 stars
13 Thank possum123
Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2005

Note we rented a studio apartment.

Plus
1. Room was relatively large, considering it’s relatively near downtown, in quite convenient locale
2. good value for money if we use *all* the provided facilities – e.g. 4 range-cooker, pots, pans, plates, cups, cutlery, microwave, washing machine, dryer, iron, ironing board – all within room, no need to ask housekeeping nor go to “laundry room” with spare coins
3. other standard items that you get (and expect in standard hotels) – TV, fridge, hair dryer, hot water maker, tea, coffee
4. our package included daily house keeping and washing up of eating utensils
5. local calls are free (except to mobile phones, but then these were AUD $0.75 a call, you don’t need to pay an arm and a leg)

Minus
1. Blankets and chairs were dirty (spots of red / brown) – seems like young kids had spilled colors on them (or something even dirtier ???)
2. walls were a bit thin, so we could hear upstairs or next door moving furniture or walking with heavy boots
3. no internet access despite it says so on its web (but see “interesting” section of this commentary) – Thanks to Andy, another TripAdvisor member, who phoned up the hotel beforehand to check for me (see forum for this hotel)
4. shower – leaks out from under the shower door, therefore bathroom floor became very wet after showing
5. broken cupboard door
6. no earlier check-in allowed, we arrived at 8 am, and would like to check-in at 12 noon instead of 2 pm
7. balcony door was left opened by cleaning person after the room was cleaned daily ! very dangerous in case of break-in !
8. Sunday morning reception (girl) seemed stoned and clueless. Sunday evening concierges (lady) and man (middle eastern?) were much better and friendlier. Friday concierge (Adam) was not helpful.
9. No bottled water provided (though of course we could boil our own)
10. Chair is broken

Interesting
1. I read comments that teenagers were noisy down the corridor – there was a little bit of noise at about 9 or 10 pm, but lasted only for about 1 minute, when I suppose the kids were just running back to their rooms
2. The “corridor” does not lie just in front of the door, but connected by a “bridge”, hence noise in corridor does not really affect us.
3. hotel provides wireless access but at a cost of AUD $0.22 per minute

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
15 Thank r10623
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2005

I am currently a resident in the building (unfortunately) and I will just briefly list the problems with the hotel:
* If you get a room on the western side of the building the outlook is a brick wall unless you are up quite high, and they are renovating the building next door so you will wake up to the sounds of jack hammers at every level.
* The common areas are disgusting
* You better not want to be running late as the lifts take up to 5 mins and forget about using the stairs as they are locked due to security (although there is no security in the lifts??????)
* Some of the front desk workers are very rude and not efficient.
* We got robbed when we moved in.
* For the last year we have been living there, the first 6 months the pool and spa were closed for refurbishment, then after it opened again it still seems closed quite a lot when you go down there.
* The corridors echoe in a major way (as it was a woolstore) and every friday and saturday nights there are drunks coming home loudly at all hours, so you may not want to sleep with your windows opens.

• Stayed September 2005
9 Thank Anna2112
Hamilton, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

I stayed at the Goldsbrough during a conference at the Sydney Convention Centre. The proximity to the Convention Centre was the only redeeming quality about these accomodations. The first apartment I had was filthy - the carpets looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in months, the ironing board had black grease stains all over it, the couch was dirty with holes in it and there were holes in the walls. Additionally, my room was at the end of a long hallway where it was basically hidden from view which was a concern given that there was a posting in the elevator describing recent break-ins. My colleagues had a 2-bedroom apartment which appeared to be somewhat nicer with more modern furnishings however they too complained that it wasn't the cleanest. I asked to be moved to a new room which they did, however, it was only slightly better than the first room. Again the carpets and drapery were filthy and there were hairs on the blanket on the bed. Given the price my company paid for these accomodations I would have expected much better. Fortunately, I spent most of my time away from the hotel and was only there to sleep and shower. My husband and I stayed at a Rydges hotel the week before for approximately the same price and it was a palace compared to this place. I will never stay at the Goldsbrough again nor ever recommend it.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
10 Thank BiffNMarfa
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2005

The Goldsbrough building it´s an excellent choise if you want a nice place to stay for a while in Sydney. It´s a clean, quite new have a great location in the city. The IMAX, the restaurant´s area, the monorail, the bus stop it´s just in the corner, just next to the building you can find a laundry, and by 5 minutes walk you can find the Queen´s Victoria Building (one of best malls in the city), the Paddy´s market and the Fish market as well and about 2 minutes walk (UTS) University of Technology of Sydney one of the best Universities in New South Whales.

So, as you can see, the location for tourist and students it´s great, the area it´s nice and safe, the personal that works in the Goldsbrough are so helfull and nice with everybody; You have security into the building, gym beauty salon, grosery store, pool and sauna. For me it´s a good building, you can have a very good deal between the place and you money. I stayed about 6 months in this building in a one bedroom apparment and I do not had any complain about it.

Stayed March 2003