“Ideal location in Darling Harbour but staff need a rev up.”

Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments
Ranked #114 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed at Oaks in early March for two nights. This happened to coincide with Mardi Gras, which meant the nightly rates were a lot higher than other non-peak times of the year.

The night I was due to fly out of the Gold Coast, a lot of flights were being delayed and cancelled; I tried to reach staff at the hotel to advise of a late arrival and the possibility of not arriving until the next day. I was unsuccessful in reaching anyone at the property for over two hours.
I had two numbers I tried, both of which rang out and went to someone's voice mail. I left a message but never received a call back. I also sent a urgent email to the property asking for someone to call me that night..I received the call back but not until the next afternoon, well after we had arrived.
I found it unsatisfactory that a major hotel was virtually unreachable for such an extended period of time..working for the Mantra Group myself, this is not what you would expect from another large hotel chain..whatever happened to answering the phone within three rings?!

I made it to Sydney that evening and we checked in around midnight. There were two staff members on the front desk..one was checking in guests, the other was down the other end of the desk and appeared to be doing nothing.
Upon arrival there was one person ahead of us checking in, it was the most drawn out process I have ever witnessed. The staff member couldn't have possibly gone any slower.
This became increasingly frustrating as all we wanted to do was get up to our room. After sitting through this, we had to endure it for our check in as well.
While checking in, we enquired about a late check out on Sunday and were advised we could have until 11am at no additional charge, and to stay until midday would be $60. We took the 11am and said we would advise if we needed to stay any later.

Our room was on the 8th floor and we had views of Darling Harbour (although we had not booked or paid for a harbour view room).
We found the room to be spacious, clean and comfortable..certainly didn't experience any of the problems seen listed here.

Location wise, the hotel is in a great spot..you can access Darling Harbour by the walkway on level 2, or walk down to the street level and up through the carpark across the road. Five minutes tops and you are in the heart of Darling Harbour.
Star Casino is also a short walk away, and it's not that much further to get into the city itself, or China Town and Paddy's Markets.

We didn't experience any noise problems, whether it be external or internal.

On the day of departure we decided to stay on later as we weren't due to fly out until 8pm that night.
I went down to reception to enquire about staying past midday - I was told by the very rude young girl on the desk, that to stay until midday was $80 and past that was another nights' accommodation.
I informed her that upon check-in on Friday night, the elderly Indian man had advised it was $60 until midday- she continued to argue the point - which I found very rude and not at all in keeping with good customer service.
She spoke with her supervisor and said that it was definitely $80 and that staying after midday would incur paying for that evening...despite the fact that check in is not until 2pm (working for Mantra and having travelled world wide, I have not encountered a hotel that charges another nights accommodation unless you stay AFTER 2pm).
I left reception very dissatisfied with her attitude and blatant disregard for the guests in the hotel.

I rang once back in the room and spoke with a young man and enquired about the price for another night, he told me that "We have you down as already checked out". I informed him that obviously he was mistaken as we were still in the room, keys and hand -also informed him that we had until 11am to check out. There was no apology for his rude tone or the mistake he had made. I went on to ask if there were discounts available as we were already in-house - his robotic sounding response was "No we don't do that" (where is the incentive for guests to extend with them??).
I then asked if there was an industry discount available as I worked for Mantra and could prove this if needed - again his robotic response was "Only reservations can help with that".
Now as I work in reservations for Mantra, I am well aware that these departments do not work 24/7 as a general rule, and in their absence, the duty manager on reception, or at least a supervisor can assist with such things.
When I asked to speak with a supervisor, he declined and refused to put me through to one.

Despite both of the staff I encountered that morning, we extended to keep the room for the rest of the day.

Management within the hotel need to re-train their staff and put them through customer service courses. Reception and front office staff that create such bad impressions on guests never lead to anything good.

Overall the hotel is in a great spot, the rooms were great - never got a chance to check out the facilities although was told by another guest that the indoor pool was freezing - but the staff really let the place down.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BNielsen
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thank you for your post. I am deeply concerned by the issues you raised regarding the staff attitude. I will be sure to personally address this with all members of the staff and remind them that we are all here for customer service. You will have to excuse us for the issue you faced regarding the phones on the weekend of the Mardi Gras. Our phone system was down due to factors outside our control for approximately 48hrs. Measures were put in place to capture as many phone calls as possible through diverts, however this still saw many calls not reaching the hotel. I will be sure to take all of your comments on board and thank you for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed in 2 places in sydney on my last trip there and this was the most expensive and also one of the worst I've ever stayed in. At around £150 a night it was clearly very dear.
On arrival we were dropped at the front 'door' as it were. This was a very dimly lit street and looked very dubious. However we buzzed to be let in and duely were. Check in was annoying as many people were barging past and it seemed very busy. We were allocated our room, of which I requested a view of darling harbour as it was our honeymoon. They indicated that they had seen this request and wouldnt not be able to provide this (even though in an ealrier email they indicated they would. Anyway I was tired and thought just to leave it. We proceeded to our room and it was almost prison-like in surroundings. Seriously, you need to have a look at the pictures inside the building. Turns out our view was of a car-park. Nice.

Anyway the location was fine but the service wasnt up to much and for the price it was nowhere near value for money.

Room Tip: I can imagine a higher floor with a view of darling harbour would be nice, but there are definitely...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Gavin_2912

I am sorry to here that your expectations of the Hotel were not met. There are a couple of different classifications of our apartments. The main difference being either Harbour View or Standard. By the sound of your post it would appear to me that you booked and paid for a Standard apartment type. As such this does not include a view of Darling Harbour. We do of course always try to accommodation special requests for special occasions. However if this is not possible due to occupancy and availability, then the allocation of the rooms must fairly be given to those who booked and paid for their specific room type. I hope that if you have the opportunity to stay with us again your can book one of our Darling Harbour rooms and enjoy a different experience.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

You have to prepared to walk if u stay here. Everything is nearby, but not right outside. The service is good. The room, not like the pictures on their site at all, but ok. You have to remember these are apartments in the city centre, not a hotel. I've definitely stayed in worse and better.
Not luxurious, but ok. Was it worth the price? Only just, as if really needs an upgrade. Small tv, tape player, no free wifi, no USB chargers, full kitchen with all the necessities, but tired looking.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank SSWanaka

Thank you for taking the time to share your post. I am pleased that overall you had a pleasant experience. We are currently embarking on a refurbishment of 60 apartments. We are aiming to lift the overall standard by modernising these rooms and bringing them inline with the 4 star standard at of oaks vision. I hope when you are next in Sydney you have the opportunity of experiencing one of these apartments.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for two nights as I was in Sydney to attend a "Rare Earth E Strategic Metals Seminar 2013" . Hotel is at only at 5 minutes walk from Darling Harbour. There is Tram station only at two minutes walk from Hotel. An Indian Restaurent with very tasty Indian food is hardly 500 yards away . Although when I entered the Hotel it looked like a jail and building is too old but once I entered the room, it was so spacious with all the required facilities in the room . Big size beds , sofa set, Table and chairs in the balcony, Microwave, Grill, Cooking range, Dish washer and lot of utensils were neatly placed. In bathroom there were two washing machines one front loading and one top loading type. Room and bathrooms were very clean. Staff is very cooperative and having good knowledge of the city . I wish I would have my wife and daughter with me.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

I appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the apartment and that the location was desirable for your needs while in Sydney. I will be sure to pass on your nice comments regarding the staff and we look forward to welcoming yourself as well as your wife and daughter back in the future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Felt the condition of room did not meet expectations. Had to report television not working twice before maintenance came to repair. When you sat on sofa lounge you fell through as had had mattress moved. Was told a new mattress was on order and would be there next week! That was no good for us so I had to remedy issue myself by stuffing lounge full of pillows. Apartment was in desperate need of TLC showing many signs of wear & tear. Will not be returning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your post. I am concerned to hear of the condition of the sofa you have mentioned. I am deeply sorry that it was not to your standard. If you would be kind enough to inform me which room number you stayed in, I will be sure to personally rectify this issue immediately.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Spent the weekend with the girls close to Darling Harbour .....transport really handy and close to everthing....rooms excellent and staff very helpful. Good eating places close by...all in all a great place for a short stay in the lovely city of Sydney

Room Tip: Rooms away from road
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff made you feel welcome. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We recently stayed at these Apartments which gave us excellent access to Darling Harbour & the downtown area. That's what you're paying for as the Apartments themselves are slightly "tired".
They come fully equipped (including a washer/dryer) To us, it was all 'kinda' of a strange set-up but it all worked out so we really have no complaints. Price-wise, Sydney is outrageously expensive so this property is good value considering it's location & when compared with hotel prices in the area.
We would certainly consider staying there again, should we be visiting Sydney.
Further recommendation: There is a Thai Restaurant 'Reantong' close to this property that I would strongly recommend. Excellent food but they don't serve wine but you're very welcome to BYOB & only pay a very reasonable corkage.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are quiet noisy as the property is pretty close to a major access into the downtow...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am very pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your helpful tips and recommendation to the local Thai restaurant. I’m sure other travellers will find this helpful.