“Nice apartment and great locations.”

Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments
Ranked #115 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
“Nice apartment and great locations.”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I am glad that I chosen this hotel for my stay in Sydney.
It was certainly worth for the money that I paid for due to the spacious room, it has a kitchen, fridge and washing machine which makes it extremely convenient for us. It has all the facilities which is an added 'bonus'.
From the second level, it links to the sky train station. Walking distance to Darling Harbour and convention centre.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed October 2012
Amit B, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, January 14, 2016
I appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the location and had an enjoyable stay. I hope to welcome you back when you are next in Sydney.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My family and I recently stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The hotel was excellent value for money, so close to everything, very clean with a few fabulous coffee shops right outside the door. Whilst a little understaffed, we found the service at reception outstanding, very friendly staff and exceptionally helpful. We booked a tour and our airport transfer from Troy at the concierge desk and he couldn't have been more helpful or informative. We will definitely use this hotel again as our base for a Sydney holiday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Caroline H
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The biggest problem with these apartments is the front desk. They are under staffed (we waited for approximately 20 minutes anytime we needed to use the front desk), and not overly friendly. However, the price was reasonable, the rooms were very clean and comfortable, and the location was great. I wouldn't bother paying the money for a harbour view. Great for longer stays with the kitchen facilities. Overall really enjoyed my time here. Would definitely book here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing your post. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the rooms and found the standard to be favourable. I apologise for the wait that you faced during your dealing with front desk. Check in and check out times can get very business in the foyer which can lead to delays. I will endeavour to use his feedback to better streamline our front desk procedures. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
christchurch
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The properety is well located and has an excellent staff. Our 2 bed apartment on the 12th floor was a good size and was clean and tidy, but very much in need of some TLC (decorating, threadbare couches etc). Staff excellent and a decent coffe shop right outside the front door. Walkway from level 2 directly across to Darling harbour was great. Easy walk to paddy's market, and even across the bridge to the city. Value for money hard to judge as we were there at New Year ($$$$$)

Room Tip: We had a room that didn't face Darling Harbour. The view was still great and the room cheaper.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your post. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay while in Sydney and that you found the location to be suitable to your needs. We hope that you have the opportunity to come stay with us again in the future and perhaps experience one of our refurbished rooms which we will be embarking on in the coming months.
Milton NSW
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We booked in for 3 nights and spent the first night on the second floor where the room entry is through a metal fence which felt creepy and like a prison - i felt quite claustophobic inside the apartment which was very dark. We decided to request a room change if possible especially as we had requested a room with a view on booking. Noppawan was very polite and helpful and actually managed to get us a room on the top floor with a lovely view over the anzac bridge, and a light and spacious apartment. I felt much better and was able to really enjoy our stay. An added bonus was being able to use the express lift to the top floor. The apartments are in a great position for easy walking access to Darling Harbour and to the light rail or monorail into the city, walking distance to the Glebe fish markets.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. I am sorry that you did not find your first room suitable. However I am very happy that Noppawan was able to help you relocate to a room which you found to be much more comfortable. I will be sure to pass on your comments and thank her for the service that she delivered.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Loved the modern decor. Pity there was no view from the room, except of a parking garage. Loved the pool and spa - to die for. But was a bit annoying that you were required to shower and change in this area before returning to your room (as they will not let you walk back to your room wearing bathers/towel etc). This was difficult for some families with small children and was rather unpleasant when they ran out of towels on two occasions so we could not dry off after shower but could not go to room to have a proper shower. Great location - easy undercover walk to lots of great restaurants / attractions/ transport options. Was a bit weird that it was a mixture of permenant homes and holiday hotel but overall was a pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view (not of a parking garage).
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stacey K
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that should you return to Sydney in the near future you have the opportunity to experience one of our Harbour View rooms. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed the pool. However I must apologise for the inconvenience caused when you where told that you must shower and change before returning to your room. While we encourage people to dry off before exiting the pool area, it is not hotel policy that you must be showered and changed. I am sorry that you received this miss information. Additionally extra towels are always available at reception for this reason. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed the week around Christmas. l can see some other reviewers say how great the service was - maybe is was from the discussion l had with the night clerk on checkout that the improvements came.
The location is fantastic, and having access to a kitchenette and washer dryer is a real bonus on a vacation.
We arrived at the hotel early, and after waiting in line for almost 15 minutes, l was told l couldn't check in! l understand we were early, but in the 6 continents l have travelled, this is the first time
l remember being told l couldn't check in and just pick up my keycards later. Then, l had to wait another 5 minutes for the luggage lockup to be opened for our storage. We returned at 1330, l again waited about 10 minutes, to be told again that checkin wasn't until 1400, and l had to wait until then. By this time, there were so many people at the front desk complaining, my husband who has worked all over the world commented that the only place he had heard this many people complaining at a front desk was in West Africa. After the third wait in line at 1400, l was finally able to check in, get our bags and get up to the room. We were on the back of the building, with the wall view in a studio, but it was fine.
There are no safes in the rooms, so when we went back downstairs, l checked at the desk to enquire about safekeeping. This is totally unavailable. lt was necessary to carry our passports
and wallets/purses all the time. And it was a good thing we did - our cleaner left our room open all day (the security bar was flipped over so the door wouldn't close when the maid was going in and out. However, she never put it back inside, so our room was entirely open for a minimum of 6 hrs. Luckily nothing was stolen, l immediately reported the problem, but l guess this wasn't a serious enough incident for the manager to speak to me personally. Because we had to have our documents with us at all times, we visited the beach, but didn't go on the beach. l didn't feel confident enough to leave our valuables in the car (signs everywhere warning of thefts) or to lay
out with them just laying there between us.
After this, l think the cleaner was reprimanded, because the only cleaning in the room was to make the bed, and change the towels. l was washing our own dishes, but l left them to dry, and they were never put away. The bathroom sink was not wiped clean, nor the shower stall spritzed, no counters wiped, lint in the bathroom was not swept up, and the skid in the toilet was left for me to clean. l had to ask for additional teas to be in the room. We provided our own coffee, otherwise l probably would have needed to ask for this too.Plenty of black mold in our shower too
The parking situation is complicated and time consuming. l am not sure why you can't just purchase a pass card for the number of days you are staying, and then turn it in at the end.
lnstead, every day, whether you use your car or not, you have to get your parking ticket validated
at the front desk - another line up, get your car in and out, and in a complicated system of time
entered/exited, either retain your ticket or get a new one. This is the sort of system that came into effect in the 70's, when these ticketing machines were just starting to appear.
This is a very convenient spot, and the pricing was fair. The lack of security for our documents really turned us off - this is something commonly available even in 3d world countries. Parking is time consuming and complicated. For such a large hotel, there are only 3 desks, but only 2 were open on the days l was there. There was no maid service over Christmas, and the notice for this was put up quite high in the elevators - at about the 2m level. So if you are staying there over the holidays, make sure you alert them that you want services if you need them.

Room Tip: Possibly check the Oaks website, and that may get you on the front of the building, with a view of...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your post. In relation to some of the points you raised I am extremely sorry that your room was left unlocked by who you presume was the cleaner. This is extremely unacceptable and I have addressed this as well as the housekeeping issues you raised with the head housekeeping manager. With all due respect the parking situation that you have explained in your post is incorrect. If a guest would like, they can get their ticket validated on arrival for the duration of the entire stay. They do not have to come down and validate it every day even if they are or are not using the car. The reason that it is often recommended to purchase a ticket on a daily basis if the car is being used, is because many guest misplace their ticket. When this happens the guest will have to purchase an additional ticket at an extra cost to them as it is public car park which is not owned or operated by the hotel. Hence we try to minimise this occurrence by providing the option of purchasing a ticket on a daily basis, but it is not essential. I am pleased that you found the location and kitchen facilities to your liking. I hope that should you return you have the opportunity to experience on of our harbour view rooms

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels