“worst.experience.ever”

Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments
Ranked #113 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed December 30, 2012

we booked a "room" through an agent for a week for 1000 buck. (don't worry, It is normal in Sydney) I still can't decide which part was the worst of our stay, the pop-up bed from the wardrobe, the leaking washing machine, or the view to the firewall.
When outside the temperature was around 30, I was freezing in the room, there was no sunlight at all.Never.Ever.Again...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear responder, I am, sorry to hear of your experience. From your description of the fold down bed I believe that you may not have stayed in an Oaks apartment. We do not have any apartments that have fold down wall beds. If you would be able to tell me which room number you stayed in I will be able to make certain of this. I look forward to hearing from you.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,701)

Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, Sydney. The location of the hotel was very convenient, a very short walk to catch the Monorail or the Metro Light Rails. Across the road from Harbourside shopping centre and close to the hub of Darling Harbour

On checking into the hotel we were given a complimentary upgrade. We did have a couple of issues with the room that we were allocated though. When i went down to reception I was greeted by a young man called Sheikh. He was very understanding and extremely helpful. Sheikh offered me the key to another couple or rooms which due to some traffic noise were also not suitable to our needs. My husband suffers from a very painful condition and is a very light sleeper

Sheikh continued to find us another room which was further away from the traffic noise. On a day that was very busy (the day prior to Christmas Eve), Sheikh wanted to make sure that our stay was as enjoyable as possible. I'd like to thank Sheikh and the rest of the staff at the Oaks Goldsbrough for making our 4 night stay in Sydney a very enjoyable one. All of the staff that we encountered at the hotel were very pleasant and helpful but Sheikh was outstanding with his service.

Room Tip: The harbourside rooms on the upper levels have gorgeous views across Darling Harbour to the city...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank June D
OaksGoldsbrough, Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback. I am very pleased that Sheikh was able to help you have an enjoyable and comfortable stay while at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. It is always nice to receive a compliment and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to Sheikh and the rest of the team.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We like this hotel/apartment!
I don't mind its rustic look.

Thou had some check-in misunderstanding; the 4 of us arrived 20 min before the official check-in time (2PM), the receptionist won't let us have a room but we can do the paper work. We left the 2 young ladies to wait for the room at the lobby while my wife and I went to a party.
When we checked up on the girls and was shocked to find they were given a double room (a 2-bedroom apt were booked), as the girls asked for more accommodation, the receptionist demanded the presentation of credit card & ID before another room is given. To sort out the mess we rang the hotel stating the situation and were surprised to be told they were not checked in. After further investigation they finally found out we were given the wrong room.

Now to the review:
The first thing that impressed me is the amount of space which is a rare commodity nowadays.
Our 2-story apartment has a very high ceiling which contributed to the air of spaciousness.
Downstairs is the huge living area & kitchen.
There was a 40 in LCD TV, DVD player and Foxtel in front of a couch & 2 armchairs.
The full-sized kitchen has a large 2-door fridge, a 4 burner stove & oven, a microwave oven, a double sink and a full range of cooking utensils.
The bench dining can sit 6/8 people.

The 2 bedrooms were upstairs with 2 bathrooms.

There's plenty of 1-2 hr street parking out front.
The location is ideal; close to Darling Harbour, CBD, Chinatown & the Casino.
Oh there's a 3rd toilet downstairs.

We had a relaxing 2 nights' stay and can recommend this property, esp for family with children.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Firstly I am sorry for the confusion that occurred at the time of check-in. I am happy that the reception staff was able to rectify the problem and provide you with the correct room that you requested. One of the benefits of our accommodation is that it provides most of the comforts of home. I am pleased that you enjoyed the double story apartments and that it suited the needs of you and your family. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I have recently stayed at the oaks in darling harbour for a 2 nights stay with me and a few girls. The place was hard to find as there isn’t a hotel driveway and can be quite confusing due to several entrances with no clear directions. However when we had arrived at the place we knew were at the right place as the lobby had a lot people waiting to be checked in. We were a bit disappointed at first as it took a while for us to get to our room having to wait a while in line and the lifts were just so slow and we were in a rush to get ready and to go out. When we arrived at our room, for a 4 star hotel we were disappointed as when you open the blinds you are literally just facing a brick wall and not to mention that the room looked old and dull. This was unacceptable and I came back down to the lobby to see if anything could be done. I was waiting in line for the girl who had checked me in, only to be greeted by James. I explained my situation to him and how this was not acceptable, he apologized and took in every word and told me to take a seat whilst he went to see if anything could be done. Eventually i was switched to another room on a higher floor which actually had a view of the city skies and instead of the brick wall, you see a little rooftop garden and it was just quite peaceful up here and the room was also much nicer than the one on the lower floor still wouldn’t rate it a 4 star but it was at least better. In the end my stay was quite enjoyable location wise and customer service was excellent, you could access restaurants, the harbour and the casino easily within walking distance, but for the hotel and the facilities it would still be average in my books as i have stayed at other places and 4 star can be a bit better. All in all i enjoyed my short stay and would recommended oaks if you are looking for somewhere that is good value and easily accessible to the CBD area.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank gersikah

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am aware that the property can often be difficult to find if you are not familiar with the local area. The issue regarding the lack of signage is due to the fact that we must comply with the building’s Body Corporate Guidelines and as such can not display the signage directly out the front. This is an issue that we are currently trying to address. Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding the level of service that James provided you. I am very pleased that he was able to assist you in selecting a room that better suited. I will be sure to pass on your thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

it was really excellent and fantastic experiences at this hotel appartment, i spent 5 days with my family, we received all our requirpment as per our request, and reception staff is really good,cooperative,helpfull & full of courtesious manners, specialy MR.SHEIKH & TAHNI. thankyou very much, location is verygood, all facilities are appreciable, we ll definatly prefer this appartment when ever my next visit to sydney.

Room Tip: request for beautifull harbour view rooms, top level
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words and thanks to Sheikh and Tahni. It makes be very happy to hear that they contributed to making your experience at the Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments such a memorable one. I will be sure to pass on your thanks.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Me and my partner, we stayed at the oaks goldsbrough in december on a very nice room over looking the harbour on level 13.Purpose of our stay was to cruise around and to see the beauty of sydney city. The hotel is in a great location, very close to everything and specially the beautiful harbour is just minutes away, the room rate was also very reasonable, but i must say one of the main highlight was very good customer service from the time we came in to the time we left.

We drove all the way from brisbane and had large number of baggages with us and one of the main inconvenience was there was no ramp on the hotel door, but of the the beautiful staff named SHEIKH was very helpful from day one.
We are elderly couple and unloading car full of baggages was a hardship for us, that good fella was drinking coffee outside on his break saw us struggling carrying bags and single handed carried the bags on the stairs and took them upstairs, when we offered some tips he dint take it but said "it is duty of everyman to help each other". We stayed there three days and everyday when we saw sheikh, he would ask us how was the day with a great smile, rest of the crew member serving on the front line was as great .

We would love to stay there again when we come to visit sydney, but one request to the hotel management "PLEASE PUT A SIGN ON THE MAIN DOOR WITH HOTELS NAME" because its very confusing to find where the hotel is located.

Room Tip: Findng this hotel can be a Nightmare, so try to look for a caffee on the right side of Pyrmont stree...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. I am aware that the property can often be difficult to find if you are not familiar with the local area. The issue regarding the lack of signage is due to the fact that we must comply with the building’s Body Corporate Guidelines and as such cannot display the signage directly out the front. This is an issue that we are currently trying to address. Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding the level of service that Sheikh provided you. I am very pleased that he was able to help you even when he was on his break. He is a great asset to our team and I will be sure to pass on your thanks to him. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was extreemely nervous about staying at these apartments after reading mixed reviews however it was quite good. The location is great, not far at all to the darbour and attractions. The rooms were large, a concern was the stair case that was very steep, there were many a falls had by my 2 yr old. Our room did not have a good view at all but we did not spend much time in the room. The building does echo very badly and people can be heard loudly running and carrying on along the hallway at all hours of the night, not to mention the noise that can be heard from the room next door. Just hope you dont get a group of loud party animals as it is impossible to sleep. The pool is a great facility, long operating hours which was handy. I would stay here again but would hope for a view of some kind.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nearoh

Thank you for taking the time to share your post. I am pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us. Please let us know when you are next staying and we will try our very best to allocate you a room with a view. I look forward to hearing from you before your next stay.