“$80 to check-out 40minutes late due to a sleeping baby!!!”

Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments
Ranked #108 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“$80 to check-out 40minutes late due to a sleeping baby!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I would of rated this hotel 4 stars, except at the very end we were charged an extra $80.00 when we requested a late check-out the day before! We didn't want to interrupt our 16-month son's regular sleeping regime & without out this sleep we would not of enjoyed our last day in the harbour because of a sleep-deprived, cranky bub!!! Very annoyed. Not much of a family institution if this is the hotel policy. We were checked out just a little past 11am!!! VERY ANNOYED!!

Another, annoying aspect of the stay were the ELEVATORS. There are only 3 elevators for a massive hotel, so at check-out time we were waiting up to 20 minutes to catch a ride. I had to wait for 7 different slow elevators before one was empty enough to fit the 3 of us in on Sunday morning!!

Too bad, because the hotel was in a great location with a easy walk in a walkway to Darling Harbour, the Sydney Convention Centre & the monorail. The hotel is old, but I believe it used to be an old factory, so it is actually nice to see some of Sydney's history perserved. The room was clean & fully self-contained. The air conditioning didn't seem to be working though. The bathtub was cracked, but clean.

Because there is so much accommodation in the area, I would try a different hotel next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 101Charmaine101
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. It is disappointing to hear of your problems regarding checking out later than 10am. Our policy is if guests need an extended check out time and there are no guests checking in that day, we can offer later times. Unfortunately if there are guests checking in, housekeeping need to get access to the apartment and have it cleaned by 2pm for the next guest. Depending on the time you checked out, depends on the cost as more than likely we need to charge the guests. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and do hope you will choose to stay with Oaks Hotels and Resorts again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Staffordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at the Goldsborough for 4 nights during a multi centre vacation and of all the hotels during our Australian adventure, this was the worst by a MILE. We were offered a room on the 6th floor which is the same level as the highway into the City and was so noisey with a broken window. On being moved to the 12 floor the noise improved, but both appartments were full of furniture that was old and chipped. A truely horrible hotel, and if our budget had been sufficient we would have left.
Don't let the photos on the 'official' site fool you, this facility was a a tired a run down building in need of urgent renovation. Look at other reviews and see this confirms the other result. We only stayed here because our travel operate booked the room, and we WILL be complaining to them as well!!

Room Tip: If you stay here ask for a room on the rear of the building.,
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Centurian5
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. It is disappointing to read that the standard of accommodation you were expecting was not what you received when checking in. If you wish to discuss any matters further please contact our Customer Feedback Team on customerfeedback@theoaksgroup.com.au.

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

After staying at the Oaks on Market st in Melbourne we had high hopes for Sydney. The only thing going for this place was its great location. Nearly missed the front door at night as it is locked with two huge black doors. Nobody told us it was a two story apartment with 20+ stairs to climb ! Small bedrooms with no tvs. Old black and white tv in lounge , filthy walls needing a paint , old lounges , aging carpet , no atmosphere in the place. No in house restaurant for breakfast or dinner and our room was literally on the freeway! Clean , comfy beds and great location. Next time will book at novotel or Ibis hotel up the street.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Candalay
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments in Sydney. We apologise for the disappointment you felt in regards to the standard of the apartment you were allocated. If you wish to discuss the matter with us further you can contact our Customer Feedback Team on customerfeedback@theoaksgroup.com.au
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed in this Hotel a while ago when attending a conference and it was great. Stayed this time with family and we won't be back. The one-bedroomed apartment we were initially given smelt horrible. The previous occupant had cooked and the room had not been cleaned or aired properly. The sliding screen door to the balcony had come of its rails and couldn't slide across. The lady on reception (from NZ, been working at the Hotel only a few months, sorry didn't get her name) was fantastic, she found us another room and helped us to shift.

Pity the rest of the staff weren't as friendly - no acknowledgement if you met them in the lift or a hotel corridor.

Make sure you get a receipt if you pay cash for internet access. On check out they wanted to charge me for what I had already paid cash for. I didn't have a receipt (nor was I offered one when purchasing) and they agreed to look into it but I was told my credit card would be charged if they couldn't verify my payment and no I wouldn't be contacted prior.

I have a concern with the $44 per night charge for use by a child of the pull out sofa bed already in the room. (If two people use it, then you are charged $88). For two of the five nights we were there it wasn't even made and as the sheets are only changed weekly, according to the gentleman on the front desk when we checked out, it seems expensive for a bed that's noisy and not even remotely comfy.

On querying this charge I was told there was no Manager available to assist, I could call head office if I wished but no they couldn't call me as it would be an international call and they don’t call overseas. So even though I was the customer I need to incur the charge to call them. My credit card would be charged regardless.

Overall not a great stay (topped off by the fact the Bulldogs lost!) I think Oaks Goldsborough need to remember there are many other places to stay while in Sydney and we will be choosing elsewhere on our return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SLRAuckland
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. It is disappointing to read that your experience while staying with us was not as you had experienced previously. The $44 charge is for an extra person and is charged nightly if the amount of guests staying in the apartment exceeds the amount allowed in the rate. We apologise if this was not communicated with you clearly upon booking. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

After previous stays I recommended the Oaks for a girls weekend away, we booked a 2 bedroom apartment seven months before our weekend, we arrived and the staff couldn't find our reservation. After waiting for a hour it was finally resolved. Unfortunately we were given the apartment located next to the Western Freeway - with no blockout blinds, or noise insulation. The 1st night was horrendous with trucks lights shinning in windows including the windows with foldout bed, next morning I was down at reception at 7.30am asking for a different apartment, this was eventually managed after 1hr of negotiating and also the room being inspected by reception personnel to see that I wasn't "lying". We were relocated at 2.30pm.
Considering this is an apartment with opportunity for a fold out bed in the living area, it should have block out blinds!

Whilst the apartments are spacious, the location great, I believe the management of the apartments seriously neglected to train their reception staff in the process of accommodating their guests. As we had paid full price we felt let down and disappointed.

My parents stayed 3 weeks later and experienced more problems when checking in. Their accommodation was prepaid via an agent and reception found no record of booking or payment. After much negotiating and stress for my mid 70's pensioner parents the booking was located, they then had to pay upfront on the understanding there would be a credit issued when it was sorted out - the credit took another 5 weeks to arrive.

Make sure you travel with your paperwork, their office management leaves a lot to be desired.,

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrsGAdelaide
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. We are very concerned to hear of your experiences while staying with us with your missing booking and apartment. We would like the opportunity to discuss and investigate the matters with your further so you can contact our Customer Feedback Team on customerfeedback@theoaksgroup.com.au. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

It is clear that the Oaks is in transition! I stayed with them four years ago and had a great experience but this month - September 2012 was a whole different experience.
My original reservation was made with Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, After receiving confirmation of the nine day stay then then posted on the website that their pool and fitness facilities were out of commission, a few weeks before arriving from North America to Australia. They have a newly acquired hotel called the Oaks Castleraugh: we went there on arrival to check out the hotel. OMG!!! a hotel in transition - concrete floors, ripped carpet, smoky hotel rooms! Finally we went to Goldsbrough...best Oaks option in Sydney and it's only okay. It has a pool and fitness facilities but the place is situated in an old wool warehouse so the hallways are unusually large open and reflect sounds throughout all floors of the hotel. Okay for us but I know some of the families staying there with young kids had a few nights of sleep loss from 'hallway' disturbances. Front desk staff - Hasid - was helpful and accommodating at every turn and made an okay stay a little better by helping with bedding after housekeeping had left for the day (we arrived late in the day to the hotel - after 6pm). Close to monorail and darling harbour, convention centre. ask for a new room. We had a new 1 bedroom suite with high ceilings and a flat screen TV. The first room they gave us was an older 1 bedroom suite (same price) with an ancient TV, kitchen and tired bathroom.

Room Tip: ask for a new room (some are not remodelled yet)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stat at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. Firstly we would like to apologise for the issues with your booking at Oaks Hyde Park Plaza and then Oaks on Castlereagh. The pool area at Hyde Park will be out of action for some time due to maintenance issues and Castlereagh is currently going through an extensive refurbishment process which will also take some time. We are pleased to read that our staff, specifically Hasid, were helpful and accommodating and I will pass your comments onto the Hotel Manager. We do hope you will choose to stay with Oaks Hotels and Resorts again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

I chose this venue due to a special offer I got from a rewards program which made the pricing decent. I have always preferred to stay in apartment hotels rather than hotels because of the cooking facilities provided. The room was quite spacious and the kitchen well stocked.
The reception staff are very welcoming and the location of the hotel is ok with only a short walk to darling harbour.
I only have a few complaints but they are probably pretty minor.
1) I asked when booking for late checkout and was told I would get it. Upon checking in I was told this meant I could leave at 11 instead of 10am?? I mean seriously! I even offered to pay to stay later but was told no. I changed my booking from a different hotel which had already assured me of a late checkout. It was a bit deceptive to tell me yes then upon arrival inform me otherwise.
2) the foxtel pay tv in the room is shown on old tvs which are not widescreen so much of what u watch is cut off. The selection of channels is very limited pretty much sport and news! Other hotels have foxtel and they offer better choices. Not that watching tv is why we travel bit still.
The building is amazing, the way the have managed to build the rooms within such a heritage site is a testament to modern ingenuity. It is very well done and although looks a bit prison like its still unique.
Overall I would stay here again if I didn't need late checkout. I will be thinking of them while I spend the extra 4 hours at the airport tomorrow waiting for my flight which I was originally going to spend in my original hotel. I don't need to be touristy in Sydney I just wanted to relax then grab a cab to the airport and fly home.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank jamesthom
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. It is great to read that you found your apartment spacious and well equipped and that our staff were welcoming. The usual policy for a late checkout is we cannot guarantee until the morning you are due to check out. If another guest is due to check into your room, we will require you to vacate by 10am so the housekeepers can clean the apartment. We can on some occasions offer 11am however this does need to be checked with reception the morning of your departure. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.