“In need of TLC”

Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments
Ranked #111 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed December 9, 2011

The apartments are in a great position for sight seeing around Darling Harbour but it is in desperate need of refurbishment , Tatty and thread bare carpet, furnishings could do with replacing dishwasher and oven are old and falling to pieces. I was shown an apartment on the penthouse floor and much to my surprise it was in the same condition as the one I stayed in on the 2nd floor. When I arrived in my apartment it had a very strange cooking smell which stayed as long as I did.
I had a late checkout { 11.30 } but I unfortunately this was not passed onto the cleaning staff because I had to get out of the shower to answer the door to the cleaners with the time being [ 9.30] not happy !!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Banjup
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2011

Please accept our apology that we have not met your expectations and that you left disappointed. We appreciate your very honest feedback.

Your concerns have been highlighted with the Housekeeping and Refurbishment Departments.

We do hope that you will consider staying with Oaks Hotels and Resorts again in the future.

Reviewed December 9, 2011

We stayed at the Oaks apartments at the beginning and end of our holiday in Australia. We sampled two different apartments. Both were clean and a good standard of accommodation. Dont be put off by the look inside the building it is a bit odd but the apartments inside are nice.
The walkways can be noisy sometimes if your bedroom window overlooks the inside of the building.
The location is excellent with just a short walk over the walkway on the 2nd floor until you reach Darling Harbour.

Room Tip: There were 3 of us and we preferred the 2 bed apartment as it has the rooms downstairs and the livin...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank lisa l

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience at Oaks Goldsbrough. It is wonderful to read that we were able to play a part in making your holiday in Australia a memorable one.

We hope to see you again at one of our Oaks hotels or resorts.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Stayed for a total of 3 nights and booked through M Power (whose service was faultless), only wish I could say the same about the service from Oaks Goldsbrough. Location is fantastic, but hotel facilities left a lot to be desired. Access in and out of the building with a pram was difficult, as was the simple act of bringing in luggage, as there aren't any ramps into the building. Though the actual apartment was pleasant enought, staff were nonchalant and at times bordering on surly. Don't think we'd stay here again, and would now think twice about booking into any Oaks property if this is an example of the service that they have on offer.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank superhero42
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2011

Many thanks for providing feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. It is disappointing to know that you felt some aspects of your stay were unsatisfactory. We apologise for this, and please be assured that your comments have been forwarded to the Hotel Manager for investigation.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future to experience the best that Oaks Hotels and Resorts has to offer.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

We arrived looking forward to our stay as the photos on the website do this hotel justice! Arrived to an old, dirty building with disorganised staff. Room was alright but getting there took about twenty minutes cos the lift would not work, was very unpleasant in the 28degrees heat. Would not stay here again, not worth what we paid for it.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wellingtonfish
Customer F, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Thank you for your comments about Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. We are very disappointed to hear that we did not fulfil your expectations.

Your feedback has been passed onto the Hotel Manager for investigation.

We do hope that you try an Oaks Hotel or Resort again.

Reviewed November 25, 2011

Hotel website is a lot better than the hotel. Accomodation is old and tatty and reception staff are not overly pleasent.

Yes a good location if you want Darling Harbour but a good 30 minute walk to the main attractions of Harbour, Bridge and Opera House.

Also not easily accessable from main pulbic transport so if your going from the airport would recommend take a cab. Though actually wouldn't recommend staying here at all.

Sorry Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments you didn't do it for me

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MrPSussex
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We would like to apologise for the disappointment you felt regarding the standard of Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments.

We do sincerely hope that you will stay with Oaks Hotels & Resorts again soon to experience the quality for which we are renowned for.

Reviewed November 24, 2011

We stayed in a studio 4* booked through their own website. All rooms had pics of views outside...Well !!!, the twin room we booked was a double and we had to request an extra bed, which looked like something from a prison...the view from our balcony was of a car park and rubbish bins...There seemed to be lots of long term residents in the surrounding apartments...and even though smoking is not permitted as it is a Heritage Building, there were cig butts on the balcony next door and an overflowing ashtray on another. You could see and smell folk out there smoking. We were awakened through the night by a screaming baby, parents argueing in a foreign language and doors slamming. I complained to reception, who frankly."didn't give a damn" Would never stay there again and would encourage others to be careful.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not face the car park at the rear of the building
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank st59scs
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Let's start with the easy bit ... great location! It's a hop, skip and a jump to Darling Harbour, the Sydney Convention Centre, and Sydney's CBD. I liked the idea that this establishment was converted from a woolshed ... different. If I had to think long and hard about the third, the air conditioning was a relief during a hot day. That's all I can say about the good.

Now the bad ... I've backpacked (while in the Greek Islands) and stayed in luxury accommodation like the Four Seasons Hotel ... it is DEFINITELY NOT a a Four Seasons Hotel and is better than a back packer's joint. So it all comes down to your expectations.

Experience:
Parking. The confusion is with the parking ticket system. Because the parking is independent from the establishment you have two tickets to use when you exit the car park and you need to make sure you read the Goldsborough instructions (maybe twice or three times). It would help if the front desk staff was a little more fluent in explaining why their systems are different from the rest of the world!

Accommodation. 1) It was requested on reservation and on checking in to have a twin bed accommodation. Instead I got a king sized bed and had to ask three times (the last call being just before midnight) to change the bedding arrangement. 2) The following day, the room was not made up ... I may have interrupted their cleaning to collect something from the room but a call was made to say the room was now vacant but the cleaning person never returned to clean the room!

Front Desk Staff. Isn't it the case that the "customer is always right"? Well not for this establishment ... when I could not understand the parking system, I heard and saw a smirk from the person on duty (who seemed to think it was funny that I could not understand the parking system when I was told by their colleagues (later that evening) that we were not the first to be confused on their parking system). Then when I asked for the third time to have the twin bed arrangement, response was: "you should have told us when you were checking in"

I am not a prima donna but I think management should know that some of their staff may be ruining the good that their colleagues do for your establishment. What made this experience more disappointing was I was really looking forward to staying here because I liked the location and the accommodation style is different from a normal hotel ... I could have stayed at Novotel/Mercure and not have experienced any of the above.

PS Not sure how and why ... I woke up with red marks on parts of my body like insect bites???

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Luveely
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

We thank you for your detailed feedback about Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. Although, disappointed to hear that the experience was not a completely positive one for you.

We apologise for your parking problems and the treatment you received from one of our staff members. These comments will be passed to the Hotel Manager for investigation.

If you would like to discuss any of this further, please contact customer relations on customerfeedback@theoaksgroup.com.au.

We do hope that you choose to stay at our Oaks branded hotels again in the future.