“Would not recommend” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #106 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Nairn, Scotland
“Would not recommend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

We stayed in a studio 4* booked through their own website. All rooms had pics of views outside...Well !!!, the twin room we booked was a double and we had to request an extra bed, which looked like something from a prison...the view from our balcony was of a car park and rubbish bins...There seemed to be lots of long term residents in the surrounding apartments...and even though smoking is not permitted as it is a Heritage Building, there were cig butts on the balcony next door and an overflowing ashtray on another. You could see and smell folk out there smoking. We were awakened through the night by a screaming baby, parents argueing in a foreign language and doors slamming. I complained to reception, who frankly."didn't give a damn" Would never stay there again and would encourage others to be careful.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not face the car park at the rear of the building
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank st59scs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

Let's start with the easy bit ... great location! It's a hop, skip and a jump to Darling Harbour, the Sydney Convention Centre, and Sydney's CBD. I liked the idea that this establishment was converted from a woolshed ... different. If I had to think long and hard about the third, the air conditioning was a relief during a hot day. That's all I can say about the good.

Now the bad ... I've backpacked (while in the Greek Islands) and stayed in luxury accommodation like the Four Seasons Hotel ... it is DEFINITELY NOT a a Four Seasons Hotel and is better than a back packer's joint. So it all comes down to your expectations.

Experience:
Parking. The confusion is with the parking ticket system. Because the parking is independent from the establishment you have two tickets to use when you exit the car park and you need to make sure you read the Goldsborough instructions (maybe twice or three times). It would help if the front desk staff was a little more fluent in explaining why their systems are different from the rest of the world!

Accommodation. 1) It was requested on reservation and on checking in to have a twin bed accommodation. Instead I got a king sized bed and had to ask three times (the last call being just before midnight) to change the bedding arrangement. 2) The following day, the room was not made up ... I may have interrupted their cleaning to collect something from the room but a call was made to say the room was now vacant but the cleaning person never returned to clean the room!

Front Desk Staff. Isn't it the case that the "customer is always right"? Well not for this establishment ... when I could not understand the parking system, I heard and saw a smirk from the person on duty (who seemed to think it was funny that I could not understand the parking system when I was told by their colleagues (later that evening) that we were not the first to be confused on their parking system). Then when I asked for the third time to have the twin bed arrangement, response was: "you should have told us when you were checking in"

I am not a prima donna but I think management should know that some of their staff may be ruining the good that their colleagues do for your establishment. What made this experience more disappointing was I was really looking forward to staying here because I liked the location and the accommodation style is different from a normal hotel ... I could have stayed at Novotel/Mercure and not have experienced any of the above.

PS Not sure how and why ... I woke up with red marks on parts of my body like insect bites???

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Luveely
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
We thank you for your detailed feedback about Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments. Although, disappointed to hear that the experience was not a completely positive one for you.

We apologise for your parking problems and the treatment you received from one of our staff members. These comments will be passed to the Hotel Manager for investigation.

If you would like to discuss any of this further, please contact customer relations on customerfeedback@theoaksgroup.com.au.

We do hope that you choose to stay at our Oaks branded hotels again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

We've stayed here before and had a great flat. This trip we had two somewhat negative experiences

1. Grubby apartment [major] - we were put into a 1-bed flat with a spectacular view of the city. Room was functional yet had dirty great scuff marks on the walls, stains on the furniture and the bathroom ceiling had water damage that resulted in chunks of the wallpaper missing above our heads in the shower.
2. Brusque service [minor]- arriving at 9am off a 17 hour flight, I was told that I could store my bags for the morning but i would need to repack in the lobby in front of 20 checking out guests whilst looking at the empty conference room which we were forbidden to use for 2 minutes to get a little privacy. Check-out was a similarly unsmiling experience.

We love the location and would probably go back there however for the price you pay, a little more upkeep of the flats would be expected.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John P
The rooms at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments do sometimes differ from one another. It is disappointing to hear that your suite this time was unsatisfactory.

Your feedback will be forwarded to the Hotel Manager.

It is good to know that the location suited your needs however. And we do hope that you will consider us again.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights on tail end of our honeymoon. I won't be staying here again.
The bed was extremely uncomfortable and butted a wall to the next room where for 2 nights I could hear our neighbour snoring very loudly!!
There was foxtel but we could never get it to work and the tv connection wasn't great.
However, the location was great and meant we could walk through Darling Harbour to many places we wanted to see. That saved us cab fares.
The staff were helpful however in helping me with a drycleaner pick-up/return.
Getting into the hotel was tough with a suitcase as there are 2 sets of stairs to the entry foyer.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, November 20, 2011
Congratulations on your nuptials and thank you for your feedback.

It is very disappointing to hear that it was not a great stay for you. However, we are glad to know that the staff were helpful and you enjoyed the location.

Your comments in relation to the bed and television have been highlighted with the Hotel Manager.
Richmond, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

we only just came back from there we stayed one night i booked online through agoda no where on any documents in confirmation did they say i would have to pay $150 security deposit on our credit card ...so when we arrived they told us we had to we did not budget for we were told the money would go back on our card as soon as we checked out and what do you know on my bank statement it says still pending....... from now on notify guests before they stay and make sure discount companies tell people about what u require .......not everyone has a spare $150 lying around and then to have to wait to get it back.......horrible some people have to save to go away and cant afford to be messed around .....

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kelly S
We are disappointed to hear that you were not made aware of our security deposit terms and conditions before booking. This pre-authorisation is a standard procedure that we use across all of our Oaks properties. However, we understand that it is imperative our guests are made aware of this condition.

We do hope that this did not negatively affect your stay in Sydney, and you choose to stay with us again in the future.
Tasmania, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

My first impression not so good, arrived early and asked if room was possibly ready, very terse short reply from female on reception that it wasn't. She offered to store our baggage which we gladly accepted. When we came back to check in, we were served by Ian, who was lovely, professional and very helpful. This is a converted woolstore so the middle of the building is open which is a bit of a problem for noise as it echo's. Some noise in early mornings and late at night in room that faces open part. Our room was fine, however a little dark during the day, but ok if you wish to sleep in. Shower over bath is a little outdated compared to the rest of the apartment. Check out a nightmare, very long queues. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We are happy to hear that your room was suitable for your needs. We will ensure to pass on your lovely comments to Ian, for his service.

We do apologise for the delay with your checkout and we will speak with the Hotel Manager about this.

Thank you again and we do look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Goldsbrough.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

I will definately be staying here again. When I read a lot of the reviews after booking I was worried about what I was going to. But either it has changed or some people are hard to please. Yes I did struggle with my cases up the steps but on leaving they very kindly carried them down for me on request. I did mention on checking in that I was a bit worried about noise after reading a lot of these reviews. The room they gave me was fine, I slept like a baby every night and didn't hear a thing. The room couldn't be faulted. it was clean the bed was comfortable, the kitchen was well equipped, the airconditioning very affective, and it was light and airy. it might have been slightly more tired looking than the photos on the website, but not unduly so. The service couldn't have been improved. No i didn't have the room serviced every day, but i was in my room late on the days they didn't do it, with my 'do not disturb' sign on the door. If I needed any of the complimentary cleaning things or teabags etc, I only had to ask and they were readily supplied. And yes I did have trouble with the TV. But that was because not only do they provide the regular channels but also Foxtel and Movies for our enjoyment and it was a bit confusing as to which remote had to be used for just TV. When I phoned down though, someone was with me and explained what I had to do within two minutes. I messed it up again, and he was again there and showed me what I had done. The thing I did have trouble with was opening the room safe. I had him up several times when I locked my comuter in it and then couldn't get it out. Each time he had a smile on his face and was very pleasant and patient with me. maybe that is one suggestion that I could make to them, a list of instructions on how to work these things would be helpful and would save that poor man many steps. the concierge was great, and helped me by booking me on several coach tours, finding a lovely one of the blue mountains that was cheaper than anything I'd seen online, and with everything included in the price. The location couldn't be better, with a ferry reasonably close to Circular Quay and the monorail and light train right on the doorstep. the Harbourside Shopping Centre close by is great with many nice restaurants and eating places. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and a big thank you to the staff that made it so memorable.

Room Tip: Just state your requirements when booking or checking in they are only too happy to help
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo