“Good serviced apartment in Sydney CBD”

Meriton Suites Kent Street, Sydney
Ranked #26 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 10, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed there only one night last year to avoid driving back to the Western suburbs after a night out. The location is ideal, right in the city centre. The apartment was really spacious (1 separate bedroom) and clean!
We definitely thought that it could be ideal to stay in Sydney for a longer period as the flat comes with a fully equipped kitchen, washing machine and dryer.
This accommodation comes also cheaper than hotels in the city.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ben_steph
MSAKentStreet, Manager at Meriton Suites Kent Street, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2017

Thank you for your review and recommendations. Our guests can feel right at home in our beautifully designed Modern Suites. Featuring a fully equipped gourmet kitchen and luxurious furnishings in spacious lounge and dining areas.

Our friendly team look forward to providing you with our convenient and comfortable suites again in the near future!

Online Reputation Team

Write a ReviewReviews (5,833)

Reviewed March 5, 2010

So I picked this place based on the reviews I read here on TA. It sounded as if people had only good things to say about it. That would probably be true for me too, except for very specific problems I had. The studio rooms I was in were both nicely appointed and very clean. The bathrooms were gorgeous. My problem was with the "conveniences" in the apartment. Let me explain.

First, when I checked in I was assigned to a lower floor (18th floor--but don't be deceived. The above ground floors begin on Floor 10). I was really hoping for a water view room, as water is really what Sydney is all about. I was told I could move to a higher floor with a water view, but would be charged a $40 moving fee. Huh? I did the moving, and it was extremely inconvenient as I had to stand in a long line to check out of my 18th floor room. Stand in a long line to store my bags for the day. Stand in a long line to check back in for my 36th floor room. When I got to that room it was lovely, but much smaller than my first room and had a view of about 1/4 inch of water (which the houseman and I found after 5 minutes of searching).

Why was a houseman in my room, you might ask. Well, the main reason I chose this hotel was that I am traveling around Australia and am traveling lightly. Therefore, I need a washer/dryer and a kitchenette. The house man was in my room because the washer/dryer was actually just a washer and he was trying to fix it for me. After washing my clothes for a second three hour cycle (no exaggeration) with no rying, he came back to take the clothes to the hotel laundry to dry. They came back still damp, balled up in a bag, and smelling a little stale as they had clearly sat wet in the laundry for several hours. Also, the microwave burned everything. There were no directions for the w/d nor microwave and neither were like any appliance I have used in multiple other places in Australia. Needless to say, this whole thing frustrated me greatly. The hotel did return the $40 moving fee because of my bad experience.

As for location, the place is perfect if you want to be near Darling Harbor or Hyde Park. It is actually not too bad a walk to the Botanic Garden, Opera House (1/2 hour) or Oxford Street (20 minutes). In other words, it was central, but not really next to anything but China Town.

So I guess I would recommend these serviced apartments for people who do not need convenience or appliances. It really is a lovely place and the staff is fine, it was just not what I needed whilst in Sydney.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo

Dear valued guest,
Many thanks for your comments, and also for your feedback in regards to how we can improve. Our team learns from every experience and we are keen on making improvements and providing a perfect stay for all our future guests.

Meriton Team

Reviewed March 2, 2010

Good room. Not a lot of hall traffic to wake you up in the middle of the night. Clean. Staff was pleasant. Location was very convenient. Few blocks from Darling Harbour, Chinese town, and lots of shopping on George Street. Take the train from the airport and walk 1.5 blocks. Very happy with the choice, especially because it was so easy to get on a ferry to escape downtown whenever we wanted.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 23, 2010

From the beginning of my inquiry, the staff at the Meriton were prompt, and professional. I was happy to find that this carried through on Our arrival to the actual Apartment Building. Most of the staff were truly exceptional. The staff felt like a Team, and looked happy to be there.

My cousin and I shared a 1 bedroom apartment on the 25th floor, and it was perfect for what We wanted, and for what We asked for. Clean, fresh, and with beautiful views of the sky! Beds were comfortable, bathroom was clean, and all ameneties worked as expected.

The Kitchen was great! A clean and running fridge / freezer. There was a toaster, a microwave, basic utensils (including a grater *joy*), knife block (with sharp knives) pots and a deep pan. The bin was cleared daily. The sheets were crisp, clean and fresh. The cleaners would top-up the dishwashing and laundry detergents daily. The hide-away laundry (washing machine / dryer, with ironing board, etc) set up WITH basin was perfect!

Very secure, and so many accessible delights; restaurants, buses, and train stations.Right around the corner on George St there is a convenient little VISITORS post to help out visitors from out of Sydney.

Our impromptu 45 minute Night walk to Circular Quay was wet with Rain, but so lovely! The Quay at night-time really is a lovely spot, more so than the day, personally.

There was a great free Green Bus (can't recall it's name, but the people at the post on George St will know) that took Us to Circular Quay in 13 minutes, during midday traffic. The bus driver wasn't very happy, but the ride was quick, and efficient. (Catch on George Street...the 333?)

The Meriton was as expected, with bonuses!

Great Pho downstairs, next door to the Apartments!!!
Oh! And a great Asian Supermarket on Kent, not even 1 minutes walking distance!

Thank You to All at the Meriton.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 23, 2010

Stayed at the Meriton Kent Street on my honeymoon and it was one of the highlights of our trip. I couldn't fault it at all. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple