“ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!”
Review of Wynyard Hotel

Wynyard Hotel
Ranked #150 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed January 5, 2010

This hotel is absolutely filthy. The bathrooms were unsanitary with only a shower curtain for pivacy. The bedlinen was unwashed and rooms were filthy. The staff were unhelpful and refused to abide by their 24 hour cancellation policy. I would not recommend staying here unless you wish to catch some kind of disease!!!!!!!! (for example tinea or chlamydia)

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank livestar
There are newer reviews for Wynyard Hotel

Reviewed December 6, 2009

so I read some good reviews before booking this hotel. I have absolutely no idea why.
My toom was a twin. It was on the third floor which was good because there was no noise. However it took me about 10 minutes to lob my 25kg suitcase up all the stairs. The room was actually fine and quite clean however my light didnt work... there was no remote for the tv... and no coffee making facilities. The kitchen was absolutely horrible. The window opposite the stove and sink lead to some kind of dingy hole. There were flying bugs gallore flying through onto the dishes and the food. Nobody had bothered to replace the sponge which smelt like baby vomit despite the fact that there was a fresh one under the sink. I would not eat the stale 'continental breakfast' so I bought my own food. The girl at the bar who checked me out was strikingly rude, it was unbelievable. However there was a nice blonde girl who helped me take my bag back down the stairs. I did only paid 60 bucks for one night (thankgod it was only one night). While I understand that you "get what you pay for", having someone remove the dirty,used tampon which remained in the OPEN toilet bin for 2 days straight is not alot to ask....
The caretaker was quite friendly and happy to help me out.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank bgadventures
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I had an OK room, they are very small, but was directly over the bar on the first floor right above one of the ceiling mounted speakers - I couldnt sleep for the thumping doof music, my room actually vibrated !! The staff come in early and turn the TV on really loud at around 6.30am so unless your on the 2nd or 3rd floor I really wouldnt recommend it. I had to check out and went elsewhere for my 5 day stay.
The management made it very difficult to get my money back and I had to forfeit a nights rates. Anything to get out and get a decent nights sleep !!
The breakfast was ok and the bathroooms were ok but for $30 more per night I got a beautiful, large and quiet!! room just 100m up the road.
The bar staff were actualy quite friendly and the counter meals are good, its just a shame they flog off that 1st floor accomodation to any sucker that will pay for it.
Ask for the 2nd or 3rd floor and you'll probably be ok. Think backpackers/boarding house, not hotel though. They only get that name 'cause it's a pub.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank rroger_rramjet
Reviewed January 16, 2008

We stayed here for a week in December ´07 and we were really satisfied. We were only supposed to stay 5 days but we still got the lower week price.

The lower floor is a restaurant/bar with good offers like 7 dollar meals. There is often a lot of people but it never got messy or annoying. The thing to understand is that it is a kind of backpackers with shared bathrooms but without the noise and mess and you get the benefit of room cleaning and towels.
The rooms are small but they are cleaned every day and you get a TV with cable and a fridge. There is a fan in the roof that works, light on or off. It can get noisy in the rooms but what to expect when you stay downtown in a large city, that's what earplugs are for. We stayed on the third floor so we did not notice any noise from the bar

The location is probably the greatest part you are situated minutes from Darling Harbour, and in walking distance from Norther Quay and Chinatown. The staff was friendly, manager to cleaning lady. Breakfast is milk, toast,jam, juice and cereals served all day in the kitchen. No problems with the shared showers or toilets. The rooftop veranda was great for a late night beer. Thats also were the washer and dryer was located, which was free of charge.

If you want to stay in a cheap clean place with great location and don´t care about sharing bathrooms this is the place to go.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stefaneh
Reviewed October 22, 2007

If you don't have time to read my review - DO NOT BOOK THIS PLACE> it is horrible, dirty. You would be better in a Backpacker hostel.
I had come to come online and write a review on every website where someone could possibly book this hotel. Unfortunately, the site we booked it from didn't have any reviews so we went on the information provided by the Hotel.
We arrived at the hotel and couldn't find the front door, called the phone number and a man came down in full casual dress and opened the door which lead to a very steep staircase. My Mum went up the stairs with the man to our room. There was no lobby, no real entrance. The room was the width of a double bed. You opened the door and the double bed was within one step. I guess that is what "Double Room" meant. The window was open as the only source of air with no fly screen, there was a fan on that only worked with the light on. No room for our cases either. The bathroom and toilet were communal and across the hallway. The "free complimentary breakfast" included (per Door man's exact words) - "there's milk in the fridge and help yourself to the container of cereal in the kitchen. We immediately left and got a room at the Menzie's Hotel - might have been more expensive but there was no way on earth we were staying there. My Mum's words were, I will stay up all night before sleeping there.
Be warned - do not stay there.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank harrykeryn
Reviewed September 30, 2007

We stayed in the Wynyard Hotel over the long weekend to find the rooms were not as advertised in their website, e.g: no coffee facilities in room, tv picture so bad unable to watch, one room had no working lights at all, light was not working in one of the toilets, soap dispenser in bathroom was empty. We had to endure the noise from next door night club until 3am, and then the truck emptying industrial bins full of bottles at 6am; at 8.30am we tried to return our keys and collect our cash deposits totalling $40.00, only to find no body was around to return our deposits. Luckily for us, we only live a 100km away and able to make a trip back to city to collect our $40.00.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mickrs
Reviewed September 24, 2006

Don't be fooled by their web site like my boyfriend and I were. This place was the WORST place we have ever stayed, and we've stayed at a lot of hostels/budget hotels throughout Europe and Australia. Basically, the rooms are literally above the bar/casino and although we were aware of that upon checking in, what we didn't realize is that at about 7PM they crank up the techno/club music that was so loud it literally vibrated our room until 3AM. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep and the outside traffic noise was so loud that we were awoken by 7AM (after just 4 hours of sleep), so we checked out that morning because we couldn't bare to stay another night. What's worse, we were booked for four nights and the manager refused to credit us for the remaining 3 nights, and would only give us 2 nights credit so we basically ended up paying $180 for 4 hours of sleep. (By the way, our replacement hotel turned out to be terrific and even CHEAPER than The Wynyard - stay at The George Street Hotel if you're on a budget and still want a clean, quiet and convenient place to stay - we highly recommended it!). Back to the Wynyard, the bathroom was so disgusting, I wouldn't even use it. Basically, it's an open room with two toilets and two shower stalls with flimsy, moldy shower curtains that offer no privacy whatsoever. The supposed "continental breakfast" turned out to be stale cornflakes stored in filthy tupperware containers. At $90 per night, the management of this place should be ashamed.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank adularia