“Poor standard of Budget Accomodation”

Macleay Lodge Sydney
Ranked #22 of 57 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Having recently stayed in this hotel I was extremely disappointed in it.
Understanding that this is budget accommodation means no frills. However there should be no excuse for poor cleanliness of the rooms, old fridges the have rust on the doors, dirty stained carpets, no heating and bedding that has stains on the covers and holes in them.
The bathrooms are ok, but some of them are very small and no room to move.

The hotel reception staff are friendly, and the location is good for a base with plenty of restaurants, bars and easy to get to the underground station for transport.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank james_yorks
There are newer reviews for Macleay Lodge Sydney

Reviewed July 18, 2010

Upon staying at Hotel Formule 1 at Kings Cross for three nights prior to my stay at Macleay Lodge for the following six nights, I found Macleay Lodge to be quite a far walk from Kings Cross station (still walkable nonetheless).

Also, having paid the same price per night for both Hotel Formule 1 and Macleay Lodge (A$60 per night), I found Hotel Formule 1's location and ensuite toilet a plus.

My initial perception was made worse when I went into the room to find that there was no heating facilities and it was in the middle of winter, the light in the room was spoilt, and that there was no microwave (as noted by previous reviewers). I had an afternoon nap upon checking in and woke up with a cold.

Knowing that I cannot tolerate six cold nights, I went to the reception and made my queries known before leaving the hotel to explore Sydney. When I was back that night, I had a heater in my room, a microwave was brought in, and a lovely lamp that is touch activated. It is also a great redemption that the room came with a sink, kettle and fridge (as compared to my stay at Hotel Formule 1).

If you're a budget traveller that enjoys making simple meals that requires minimal cooking or just microwaving, Macleay Lodge is a fine place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Whilst in Australia, I decided to book a quick city visit to Sydney, which I did all through the Australian Lastminute.com site. Came across this place, which was combined with my flight for a really good price for the time I wanted to be in Sydney.

Located in Potts Point, which is a bit away from the main Sydney sights, but offers good views.

Nice tidy appearance, friendly staff (as most Aussies are) and the room was very basic but enough for my time there.

Only thing that I found different to what I am used to but this is what you pay for, shared bathroom. Thought that might be a bit iffy but again the bathroom was spacious and clean! Was no mad rush for the bathrooms so I was able to do my business and what not without having to rush.

No meals or restaurants in this place, which was not a problem as I ate out every night in Sydney, and for breakfast/snacks I just popped into the large Woolworths supermarket just up the road.

So above all, no gripes about this hotel. Was basic and simple as I expected, not horrible in anyway, just served as a good bed and base for the end of a long day exploring Sydney.

• Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank Bennyboy08
Reviewed April 25, 2010

An all round decent 'hotel' although rooms are not en-suite. No a/c in our room so a sweltering night although the room had a noisy fan. Good location.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Macleay Lodge Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

We are glad you enjoyed the great location of Macleay Lodge being so close to Sydney's major attractions. We are a budget property and so we keep costs down such as air-con and other similar things so that the price is the best possible value price for our guests. We have noted your comments about the noisy fan and are looking into the issue so it can be resolved.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed January 8, 2010

Stayed for 4 nights at the Macleay while in Sydney on 5 week east coast backpacker tour.
I took a chance on this hotel based upon the previous reviews that I had read but will admit I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this hotel.
• Less than a 10 minute walk to Kings Cross in a very nice Potts Pt. area with trees and nice quiet atmosphere;
• simple, clean, affordable rooms for the budget minded traveler
• 5 star service from Tracy
• Microwave and fridge with toaster and kettle
• Lots of room for storage of our packs in the twin room
This is a great find and if you are a budget minded traveler, then you should consider the Macleay; the only concern is that the shared bathroom is quite small.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MaviAvi

Thanks for providing your feedback.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at Macleay Lodge and look forward to seeing you again some day in the future. Tracy has been notified of your comments, I am sure she will be pleased that you enjoyed your trip so much.

Thanks again.

Reviewed July 17, 2009

I've read the previous reviews and am a bit surprised - it's like buying a Hummer and then whining about the gas mileage. We paid only $399.00AUS for 7 nights and with a rate that low we got exactly what I expected. For me to complain about the place would be absolutely ridiculous...or I would be a complete idiot to expect more after paying so little.

So here is the rundown on the place as it suited me and my 7 year old son. The shared bathrooms is a pain - but, I knew this going in...so I had to make sure that I went with my son everytime his 7 year old bladder had to go...whatever.

Does it need refurbishment - oh yeah! But, that would up the price I suspect...it wasn't terrible. Was it as dirty as the other person said it is? I did not see a cockroach and I suspect that the previous poster was exaggerating greatly for effect. My room was equiped with a sink, mini-fridge and microwave...something that completely surprised me - it was a great way for us to save on meals! So, with food all over the place and a 7 year old dropping crumbs...I saw no bugs - draw your own conclusions.

Location - WOW! Next to a laundry with an internet cafe (slash video rental shop) two doors down and a deli three doors down...it was well situated. Take a left out the front door and walk past the three shops then another left on Challis Street - you will end up in a dog park overlooking Wooloomooloo Bay and a beautiful view of the city. Take the steps down from there and you are AT Wooloomooloo Bay with the Botanic Gardens adjacent. Take a right out the front door and Woolworths grocery store is on the next block (for stocking your fridge) and 4 blocks up is an Indian take away and a pizza joint. Another few blocks and you are at Kings Cross train station. Jeez, it really is a fantastic location! Sure, you could be IN the city but, you can't see amazing views OF the city when you are in it! Also, you'd pay more (something that previous reviewers just don't get). Side note: plenty of gentleman's clubs near the train station...for some reason I did not take my 7 year old boy in.

As far as the noise that another reviewer mentioned - the airlines that fly you into Sydney give you free earplugs on the flights...use them! Geez, any seasoned traveler knows to travel with ear plugs because NO MATTER where you stay you will have noise to deal with. I've stayed at plenty of 5 star hotels in my previous work experience and always used them to drown out elevator noise, other guest traffic and the cleaning staff. That said, yes there was a lot of traffic noise that entered our room...but, we did have a balcony so we were facing the street. I'm sure that interior rooms were nice and quiet.

I bought a phone card at the video shop (along with my internet access) and the desk was very nice to let me use their land line so that I could preserve the minutes on it (pay phones use 10X the number of minutes on the card for some reason)...and I left them with the residual 400 minutes for the next guest in need.

So, if cost is an issue - I definitely recommend this hotel. If you are looking for luxury and amenities then no way. I retired from an airline so I fly for free...but, my new company just went out of business so I flew for free and wanted to spend very little when I got there. Macleays Lodge was perfect for my needs.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank ncurry1968

Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed Macleay Lodge and its great location. We look forward to seeing you again some day.

Reviewed December 23, 2008

I saw the above reviews & nearly got put off, but I'm a student on a budget & didn't have a large range of choices (especially since it's around xmas time & all the other hotels I checked out were going up $40 in price).
The hostess was lovely & welcoming, the rooms were clean & equipt with a kettle, fridge, TV, window, sink + cupboards (we ended up checking in for a second night & found the second room was bigger, with a microwave & a fireplace).

To people thinking about staying at Macleays, I would recommend it to backpackers. It's so close to the city, has nice restuarants closeby BUT -It is not a five star hotel!!! So don't expect five star rooms!
For the price it is, I found it fantastic & I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Aallecks

Thanks for your comments! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again at Macleay Lodge!