“Be warned”

Macleay Lodge Sydney
Ranked #24 of 58 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Three things: (1) The lodge does not provide room cleaning services on a daily basis, regardless of the length of your stay. But you can get free towels if you ask for them. (2) The lodge does NOT offer free internet. It costs roughly $10 a day (or for every 200mb), which can add up. (3) The lodge is NOT air conditioned, which can be brutal on hot summer nights. So, if you are looking for comfortable air-conditioned accommodations on a budget, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Mark S
sydney_lodges, Guest Relations Manager at Macleay Lodge Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you for leaving your 3 points about Macleay Lodge.

Of course, we offer budget accommodation with limited facilities, to keep the rates as low as possible for our clientele. It seems you perhaps were expecting more, and perhaps you were willing to pay more for these things. This is absolutely fine, we encourage all travellers to make the right decision for them when planning their trip. Most of our guests enjoy Macleay Lodge for our very low rates and great location. We're sorry that you didn't.

We hope you will try another Sydney Lodges property that may be more to your liking, in the near future. I would recommend having a look at The Bayswater Sydney or Springfield Lodge. Both of these properties are air-conditioned.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Good location in Kings Cross, close to rail station. Really nice staff. Clean and equipped but no air so it was a sweat box. Good value for money. My room overlooked a little court yard so that's why no air coming in. Next time I will ask for a different room.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Room was small but nice to have microwave, toaster, kettle, fridge, dishes provided so could have a meal in the room. Bathroom at the end of the hall; was clean and never had to wait.
Only had a fan in the room but on high speed it was OK.
Place looked a bit run down but price was good.

Arrived Saturday night at King's Cross station; area was packed with "20 somethings" out looking for a good time. Could not move down the sidewalk with my suitcase so had to take a cab.

Hostel close to the Botanical Gardens which were beautiful to walk through to the downtown.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I had to choose this hotel because other hostels were all booked due to high season. It takes about 15minutes of bus to get there from Circular Quay. Small but clean! And very close to Woolworth! The rooms have microwave oven, TV, and refrigerator! loved it! Bathroom is not ensuite but it was fine. I enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Excellent location, we could walk a very long way and not be an expensive taxi ride back to our accommodation. We had a front room which does have quite a lot of road noise, so I would recommend wearing ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. There was plenty of space for 2 nights with my adult daughter, however if I was travelling with my husband, I would prefer to have accommodation with an ensuite. For the age of this lodge, it is not in such bad condition for the money. I have rated the 'cleanliness' as poor only due to it being a shared bathroom with other guests who don't always leave things as nice as when they entered.

Room Tip: If you like a balcony then ask for a front room, otherwise, a back room may have been better for les...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WoodyLMS
Reviewed December 25, 2013

The staff at the lodge are wonderful. They were most helpful and they offered to organise our transfers back to the airport. We arrived at midnight and there was a key waiting for us. It is located in a great spot and is an easy walk into the city. The room was clean and although not large, it was adequate for us and it was very handy having a fridge and microwave and cutlery and bowls. The towels and complimentary shampoo was helpful. On the downside the room was boiling and even though we were given extra fans I would not stay there without air conditioning again in summer but would go to one of the air conditioned lodges. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there when the weather was milder, although the rooms seemed a little shabby and some good backpacker lodges probably have more modern facilities. I would have liked to see hooks to hang things on, bins with lids on them, somewhere to put our toiletries in the bathrooms; the little touches were missing which was a shame when the staff and original old building are so lovely. The stairs may be a problem for some. It was quite hard getting all our bags to the top floor but we did have several to carry up. In terms of price,although the lodge is cheap I have stayed in the same area in both nicer and worse places for the same amount of money and it is worth looking at websites to see what deals you can find. I would stay there again as our room was very quiet and great for a small family but I think that the owners need to spend a few dollars to improve and maintain the rooms and bathrooms. All of the previous entries on trip advisor are accurate and I would ignore the comment by the disgruntled woman who was evicted. Ask for a quiet room, especially away from the bathroom door as I imagine it may be hard listening to it opening and shutting all of the time.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Positives - Excellent location 10 minutes walk to the botanical gardens then another 15 minutes to the opera house. There is also a supermarket nearby and excellent bars and cafes just around the corner. There is also a laundrette next door which is $3 for a self service wash. Staff were really friendly and helpful with advice, and helped to get my partners bag back when the airline had lost it.
Negative - Room is average, had a cockroach in our room on the first night (apparently they are common in Sydney), reception gave us bug spray and we never had any problems again. Shared bathroom was ok until a family arrived on our second night, they continued every night to hold the bathroom for each other between 10.30pm till 12pm every night. The bathroom situation wasn't helped by the shower on the second floor being out of use so had second floor people using shower too.
Probably woudn't go back, but for a few nights it is one of the cheaper places to stay in Sydney.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple