“Missing the basics - you get more at a backpackers!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Macleay Lodge Sydney

Macleay Lodge Sydney
Ranked #20 of 61 Sydney B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Missing the basics - you get more at a backpackers!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I did quite a lot of research on the best place to stay for the one night my partner and I were in Sydney and thought from the reviews on Trip Advisor and the photos on their website that this would be a reasonably nice (but basic) place to stay.

When we got into our room at about 1pm we found it to be not as the pictures portrayed it to be: furniture worn out, minimally clean. I went to take a shower in the communal bathroom and waited and waited for the hot water to come on, but nothing! After about 10 minutes of letting the hot tap run, I just got under and had a cold shower.

While I was getting changed afterward my partner went down to reception to report that there was no hot water, only to have the gentleman at reception retort that it was "unusual" and skeptically say "no other guests have complained" rather than showing polite consideration that two of the hotel's guests were not receiving a basic hotel requirement.

When I went down to reception about half an hour later I mentioned again to the receptionist that there was no hot water, and that my partner had tried the communal shower on the floor above and it was the same story. He told me the same thing, that it was unusual and confirmed they had not yet done anything about it. I asked if it would be fixed by tonight and he said that the hotel would look into it and have it fixed by then.

Que the next morning (my partner and I were departing @ 6.30am) and I get in the shower a second time only to find no hot water, AGAIN! Unfortunately reception was not open before 7.30am so I couldn't speak to them before we had to hit the road. I phoned the hotel a few hours later while my partner and I were on the road to let them know and was told that yes, there was a problem with the hot water, and they were planning on getting it fixed soon.

Lovely that they finally recognized there was a problem, but how about warning the guests and showing some consideration to the inconvenience it caused us? At a minimum, to call yourself a hotel/lodge, you need to provide basic utilities like hot water. I explained this was not acceptable and they did apologize on the phone. In my view we should have been compensated for the inconvenience with a reduction in the nights fee but, alas, they did not see fit to do so.

In addition there were dirty sheet bags left outside our door the entire time we stayed at Macleay lodge. We also found the fact that our room faced offices that adjoined the Lodge (about 5 feet from our window) really disconcerting, especially when getting changed - we had to close the blinds so we didn't provide the office workers with a peep show.

Basically, my partner and I did not enjoy our time there, we found that the hotel did not meet minimum standards and that the service in person was insufficient. My partner and I left feeling duped by their advertisement. Obviously we won't be staying at Macleay Lodge again. We could get more at a backpackers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Tiffany H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

If your on a tight budget and have left it late to find accommodation this place does the job, however if you plan ahead you can definitely find better options in the CBD with better facilities

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Schumi5
hertfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

i cannot fault the staff here they were brilliant, it was an ok hotel an older style building has great kerb appeal, great location just inside potts point..very close to shops+ cafes with walking distance of Sydney Opera House (aprox 30mins walk). the room was clean apart from the old fridge, however my window was within touching distance of others rooms, i could hear their conversations and other things they were doing!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank sweetlaney
Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Location is all right, 10/15min walk to metro station, walk to the Botanical garden. Very friendly staff Very clean Shared bathrooms very clean, good amount of facilities No internet and no breakfast but a little kitchenette, very useful with a TV in the room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Irvine, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

When we booked it, Macleay Lodge was one of the more affordable options in Sydney for a 2-bed (3 persons) stay in the city. The location is decent, walking distance to King's Cross Station, lots of cafes and restaurants around. King's Cross is also the Red Light district, fyi, not exactly a family area at night. The people at Macleay are very friendly and helpful.

Macleay Lodge itself is just ok - I think anyone would be better off with a private room at a hostel, for the same approximate price or less. Our room was comfortable, but reeked of smoke (when we requested a new room, they said all their rooms are non-smoking, and that smell must be from the neighboring building), and faced a very noisy street. We were constantly woken up by car noise outside. Also, no air conditioning in the room, just a fan. The room 2 beds but we still had to share a bathroom with the rest of the floor. The bathrooms were clean, but often full.
Would recommend finding someplace else for your stay in Sydney.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Had a smooth and comfortable stay. Tried both the inner-facing and balcony rooms. The only problem with the balcony room was the street noise so ended up sleeping more soundly in the cheaper, smaller inner-facing room! But would still stay here again, staff are friendly, the place has character and cant beat the location. Best value in Sydney I'd say.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Tracy has been awesome throughout our stay at the hotel. She has been most gracious, helpful and smiley! The hotel is very central and within walking distance to everywhere you need to go. Sydney afterall is a great city to walk around, we both enjoyed walking as we found interesting cafe's, restaurants and places we wouldn't know if we stayed elsewhere. (one of them is Harry's Cafe De Wheels!) Oh yea, the bathroom was shared but even though our floor was fully occupied, we did not encounter situations of waiting for someone else to finish using the bathroom even in the morning.
We had a nice balcony that faces the street, but it was still quiet at night. For the price we paid, we were certainly satisfied.
The only problem we had was carrying our luggage 3 floors high.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends