“Why am I still surprised it was loud?!”
Review of O'Malley's Hotel

O'Malley's Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sydney
O'Malley's Hotel
Ranked #136 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed November 14, 2008

Went on the recommendation of Lonely Planet, thinking it would be fun to stay above a pub (have done it in past, good times). This was so not the case.
"Surprisingly quiet" read my tourbook. Err, was more bordering surprisingly loud- since it seemed to come from the walls and not the windows or floors. Thankfully, I had earplugs.
Very tiny room, but you get what you pay for.
Clean.
Small.
Would not stay again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank everitt4

Reviewed June 5, 2008

I spent 5 nights in Sydney from April 18 thru 23 and I was looking forward to it.
As I was on a NZ trip I thought that I could indulge myself in a small side trip to OZ so i booked well in advance that "cheap" B&B. Ok the area is nice and lively in the midst of Kings X but the place is really average. The room was OK with ensuite but pretty small. I had a room on the 2nd floor so quite away form the noise downstairs. have I forgeotten to say there was an Irish bar donwstairs? oops.
The satff was extremely , let's say....unhelpful....When I asked if there was a laundry in the area..she said she didn't know...and that was it. I found out there was one down the street on Victoria.
Then I was told if I paid Amex that would be an additional 5%...ughhhh Breakfast was extremely BASIC...cheap white bread, butter and jam. Cereal and that's it!!! Well, I miss the Wattle House B&B in Glebe...Oh yes I do?

Don't book there..there are many other options but for 79 AUD a night...it's pretty good value but don't expect anything else...

PascalPierre from France, Europe;

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
6  Thank pascalpierre
Reviewed May 23, 2008

I stayed at O'Malley's for one night prior to my flight back to the UK. I had my 14 year old son with me who was definately not impressed. We had a horrendous climb up 3 floors with heavy suitcases, and the stairs were quite dark and winding. Our room was dingy and my son's sheet was ripped from top to bottom, they were also very grey looking and did not seem at all clean to me. I know it was supposed to be a budget hotel but I do not think there is any excuse for unclean beds and dodgy sheets. It was our last night in Sydney and it was a disappointment. I had to leave very early the next morning for our flight so I could not see any staff to leave a complaint with and when I returned to the UK the experience faded as I started to remember all the other wonderful things about Oz, but I do not recommend you stay there unless the hygene drasically improves.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank disgruntled55
Reviewed May 3, 2008

Wouldn't really recommend this one unless you are desperate!

Bathroom awful, in desperate need of a facelift, stained floor etc and cracking paintwork.

Didn't really find them that friendly.

In a good location though.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank abs1982
Reviewed April 20, 2007

My husband and I stayed at O'Malley's for 3 nights in March 2007. When we checked in we were a bit worried about noise from the bars located below, and our worry was confirmed when we went to our room and could hear music from the bar already in the middle of the afternoon! We notified the front desk right away, and they moved us to a room on a higher floor. After we moved to the higher floor, we had no more problems with noise.

Our room was clean and nice, and housekeeping every day was great.

The "breakfast included" with our stay turned out to be nothing but cereal and milk, and a few pieces of white toast, served by a not-so-friendly member of the housekeeping staff. Disappointing. If you're choosing this hotel on the basis of the breakfast included, don't bother!

During our stay, neither the phone nor the air conditioner in our room functioned.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ksij
Reviewed April 16, 2007

Good value for money. Sydney is an expensive place to stay. O'Malleys wasn't a luxury hotel but was clean and functional.

It is only a 2 min walk to the train station so is handy for getting in out out of the city centre or to the beaches.

It can get a bit noisy in the bar downstairs so If you are planning an early night take your ear plugs!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lsnod
Reviewed September 13, 2006

This cute little guest house was the perfect place to stay in Sydney. The rooms are small but beautifully decorated and clean. The breakfast is simple cereal, coffee, and toast. But the location is superb. It is so easy to get to the subway, downtown, good restaurants etc... And compared to other accommodations in town, the price can't be beat! Very cute little hideaway.

One warning - the music from the bar downstairs can be heard in your room. If you are a light sleeper this could be a problem.

Enjoy!