“Home away from home!”
Review of Big Hostel

Big Hostel
Ranked #9 of 150 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed April 9, 2014

This place was essentially home for me for almost three months while I worked in Sydney. I definitely didn't intend to work a 40 hour week whilst living in an 8 bed dorm! However that is just a testament to how awesome Big is - I stayed because the place is super friendly, quiet at night, very clean (probably the cleanest place I've stayed), cheap and very central. I can't put into words how much I loved staying here. The staff work their behinds off to make sure you have a brilliant stay, whether you are there for a night or for much longer, and you're always greeted with a smile when you walk through the door. Really awesome place, can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Female only rooms on the second floor are nice and spacious!
3  Thank hodgy42

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Big Hostel was convenient from the train station to get back and forth to the airport. Convenient to walk around town and down to the harbor. The dorm was clean and comfortable. The staff were excellent - very friendly and helpful! I would stay there again when I am in Sydney.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed in this hostel for 5 weeks whilst I settled in Sydney and found work/permanent accommodation. Very pleased with the atmosphere, cleanliness and service the hostel provided. The roof terrace is excellent for sunny BBQs and drinks, the rooms are a good size, and I made some good friends during my stay. Highly recommended!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank tommyfromhull
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Big hostel is definitely a thumbs up when it comes to hostels in Sydney. Big, clean and spacious rooms. Met a lot of nice people staying at the hostel. Easy reachable and very good location close to Chinatown and Central station. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stayed in the female dorms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
BIGhostelboss, Manager at Big Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

thankyou for the nice feedback :)

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stayed at Big Hostel for 4 nights at the quad en suite room. Our first impressions of the hostel were not too great but the place grew on us. The plus point is the myriad of tours and services available - from arranging day tours to airport shuttle bus. The hostel is also centrally located at Central Station and is within walking distance of the Royal Botanical Garden, Circular Quay, Darling Harbour, Chinatown and Sydney Opera House.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights solo, staying in a private room with ensuite. Sydney is always very expensive, but by comparison this place was quite good for the money. The room was clean, the linen was fresh, and the ensuite was clean. Good hot water with pressure to make for an enjoyable shower. The room is no-frills - just a basic room but if all you want is a place to sleep at night, then this is fine. The lady at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. A basic breakfast is offered with the price but I didn't try it. My ONLY minor criticism was that the bed springs were a little noisy. But otherwise I slept well.

1  Thank Ged M
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I stayed at Big Hostel near the end of January with my girlfriend for Australia Day, the main reasons we chose Big Hostel was the central location, availability and price.

We initially had booked a shared room, but opted for a private room last minute. Having our own A/C room with a private ensuite was a very welcome treat as a backpacker needing a comfy stay after being in planes and airports the last day. My girlfriend and I didn't really utilize the kitchen amenities or Rooftop Patio so I can't really comment of these, but both were available to guests. Your usual simple complementary breakfast is available in the morning: bread, cereal. The room was cousy and quite clean, AC blew cold and washroom was clean as well. A bit dated but not enough to be off-putting. For me the highlight here was Matt at the front desk, he was very helpful in giving us some suggestions on things to do and providing simple directions on where to go. He also organized our airport shuttle for us the following morning.

There's not too much in the immediate area, but there are a lot of amenities and things to see just 5-10 minutes away on foot. Hyde Park, Darling Harbour, the Opera House and all your other main central attractions are very walk-able from here but make sure you grab everything you need before hitting the road as it's not THAT close lol :).

Cheers,