“Geared towards extended stays, not tourists looking for charm”

Meriton Suites Waterloo
Ranked #22 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
NYC
“Geared towards extended stays, not tourists looking for charm”
Reviewed October 17, 2007

The Meriton Cameo Apartments are located in a part of town that is really rather nondescript. You don’t feel at all like you’re in Sydney. The apartments are clean, light, and spacious with out door balconies. They have kitchens and washer/dryer units. During my stays, there was never a maid service. And check in both times was slow. The gym was adequate but the pool facility was OUTSTANDING! One of the most beautiful lap pools I’ve ever worked out in.

My only dislike was really the location. If this is not an issue you should be fine. To get to Sydney Harbor you have to call a cab, which sometimes takes 15-20 minutes to arrive. The cost will range from $15 (to the harbor) or $25 (to the Sydney Opera House at curtain time.) Getting a cab after the performance took a little while. Additionally, there is no WiFi connection and Internet (Broadband) is not cheap. Food is also expensive. The Crème Café served excellent omelets and the proprietor is just lovely. I also found some lovely cafes after a walk down Burke Street along with an organic grocer and a nice produce market.

Although as a single traveler I felt safe, one of my cab drivers mentioned that Waterloo was not one of the safest neighborhoods in Sydney. If I return, I would definitely try to book a hotel closer to downtown but if that is not an issue for you, the Meriton is a solid hotel, just not a charming one.

• Liked — The pool!
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank DeSpanish
MSADanksStWaterloo, Online Reputation Team at Meriton Suites Waterloo, responded to this review, November 29, 2016
Dear valued guest,
Many thanks for your positive comments, but also for your feedback in regards to how we can improve. Our team learns from every experience and we are keen on making improvements and providing a perfect stay for all our future guests. A recent upgrade to our complementary WiFi provides our guests with the perfect high speed internet connection.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Rotterdam
Reviewed August 27, 2007

The 3 bed room turned out to be a suite! Kitchenette incl. dishwasher, bathroom, washing machine and dryer were in perfect shape. The quality of the decoration and furniture was very
good! 15 minutes per bus to the Opera House and the ferries!

• Liked — The area of Sydney, The space of the apartment and the quality of the furniture/decoration
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank SwamiBami
Dear valued Guest,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your stay and your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Potts Point
Reviewed June 10, 2007

Firstly let me say - for the price, it is OK.
Secondly, for a weekend or night away when youa re nto going anywhere, it is OK.

I live nearby so knew what I was in for as far s location, the acres of besa brick apartments ...

I walked across around lunch time to book a room for a friend to stay in after dinner. I saw online there were rooms and thought I would go and look and book.

The staff (appeared too many) were unusual to say the least, one extremely well groomed, one not so and the thirs was well very scruffy.

I was shown a lovely high floor 2 bedroom apartment - wow - nicely appointed if a little cheaply made. I presume this was the "show suite" and it is rarely used...

We went back down to reception - we cannot take a reservation here you need to go: home/internet cafe to book on wotif (!!!)

We don't have any one bedroom apartments, only two. BUT, 10 minutes earlier there were one bedroom apartments being sold online.

WHAT ???

If I had an alternative or had needed a room on a different night I would NOT have booked at this stage!

I then went to do some grocery shopping and returned home an hour later to find, yes, still two one bedroom apartments online to sell.

I reserved and paid online for a one bedroom apartment.

Walked back to the property.

Checked in - oh its a handicap room - no, i want a bath and online it didnt say anything about being the last (worst) apartment ... So I paid an additional $20 and was upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment ...

The first one, the door lock wouldn't work ...back down to reception - the three musketeers had NO idea why it wouldnt work so after much testing with keys I was put in a lower floor 2 bedroom apartment.

***Now, again, for the price ($159 for a 2bedroom apartment)
it is not a bad place to stay.
Quite well appointed suite with balcony and spacious.

However, be warned, the internal apartments overlook a central courtyard = NO privacy unless the curtains are closed and they overlook a creche. Between 2-5pm it was bedlam, so if you do not like screaming children ...

The other noise I encountered was from the sport team (?) staying on the same floor, in and out between midnight and 4AM .........................slamming doors, talking loudly ...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise and the staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank Geoff40
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are disappointed to hear that we fell short of your expectations on this particular occasion. As we highly appreciate all feedback that we receive, please be assured that your comments have been duly noted and passed onto our management team.
Glasgow
Reviewed March 24, 2007

Where do we start....we loved this place. Sheer luxury. I can only comment on our experience and we were very, very lucky.
Arrived at the Meriton Cameo from the aiport for a 5 night stay after spending 3 weeks travelling down the East Coast. We had stayed in Budget places and we booked in advance a 2 bedrm apartment for 4 adults based on reviews I read on here. We worked out before we left the UK it was around £16 each/night and that suited our budget.
I think the taxi trip cost us around $30 but I think we were charged extra as we had a bigger car for loads of luggage.
We were taken right to the main building which looked exactly like we expected. Modern building about 10 storeys high. Went into the recpetion area which was small but clean and modern and checked in. We wanted to pay our accommodation by cash, and Dad being Dad was not keen on us paying up front without seeing the room. We did however pay the $830 approx upfront, and we were given our key for the 10th floor. The key also activated the lift. We got in the lift, up to Floor 10 & the doors opened & we saw our room was to the right. At that point I noticed there were only 4 rooms on the floor but never really thought much of it. Mum went in the door first & immediately turned to me with her mouth wide open!! It was HUGE!! we went in & my Dad immediately bagan to panic that we had paid $830 & that was for the one night but no, the receipt definitely said 5 nights. The kitchen was so modern & fancy, big living & dining room area, big bedroom with en-suite, a bedroom with 2 beds, another bathroom and a utility room with washing machine & tumble dryer. We went out on the patio & you could have held a massive party on it!!! We were absolutely stunned. We found out a few days later that we had been upgraded to a penthouse suite. We have no idea why, but it was luxury. We used the pool facilities once which were in the building opposite & were lovely.
I have nothing negative to say about these apartments. Yes they are a bit away from the centre of Sydney but there are buses frequently from a bus stop just across the road. Surrey Hills is a short journey away & although we did not go out there to eat, there seemed to be plenty to chose from. Our favourite restaurant was down at Darling Harbour & was called Baia. Gorgeous!
Our stay might not have been as good if we hadn't got such a gorgeous suite, but I cannot comment on that. Would go back again if I was in Sydney & chance my luck again for an upgrade.

• Liked — Our penthouse apartment
  • Disliked — Nothing!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank Karen78
Dear valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a detailed review of your stay with us at Meriton Serviced Apartments Waterloo. It is pleasing to see you had such an enjoyable experience with us.
Thank you for sharing with the TripAdvisor community and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again as our guest in the near future.
Hawaii
Reviewed March 7, 2007

Great Place for the Price!! The apartments our brand new and have everything you could possibly need. It is about a 8 min drive to the city center, but a taxi was always near by. Reception was great and helpful. If you are looking for an affordable place without missing out on amenities, this place is for you. Very spacious and clean. Cheap parking compared to other locations as well, $15. The room had it all good size TV, DVD, couch, nice bed, washer/dryer, full kithen, stero system, etc. Again, it is a few minutes from the city, but what you get for the price makes it all worth it.

• Liked — Size and amenities
  • Disliked — Location from city, but is worth it!!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TravelingSoldier
Dear valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive review about Meriton Serviced Apartments Waterloo. It is pleasing to see you had such an enjoyable experience with us and were well looked after by our friendly Guest Service Team.
We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again as our guest in the near future.
Sydney
Reviewed February 17, 2007

Well were do i start. Firstly we arrived around 1pm to check in and reception would not check us in until 2pm on the dot! when we checked in the room was not cleaned properly with food on the kitchen bench! When i initally checked i asked for 2 rooms one with a double and one with 2 singles. We did not get the 2 singles but instead got a double. They were not helpful at all.

The staff at this hotel are very rude and even sending a complaint email to the General Manager i did not recieve any follow up! Coming from the hospitality industry myself i was appalled by the unprofessionalism by this hotel.

I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Close to Fox Studios
  • Disliked — Service, Staff, cleanliness of rooms
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GucciGalSydney
Melbourne
Reviewed January 29, 2007

If you like staying in among a collection of high rise apartments with absolutely no character in the middle of an industrial zone which could be in any city in the world, this is for you.

I booked a two bedroom apartment via Wotif, believing their blurb that it was close by the city. It's not. The buses come every half hour and it's a $15 for taxi ride to the CBD. Returning from the CBD late in the evening was downright scary with nobody around.

The wind whistled through the badly made doors all night making an incredible noise. I couldn't connect my computer via dialup and it was implied that it was my computer's fault, even though I have been on the road for a month staying in various serviced apartments and haven't ever had a problem with dial up.

I tried to cancel the reservation as soon as I walked in the door realizing that I'd made a big mistake, but having booked with WOTIF they would not consider a cancellation.

Being so far out of the buzz of the city or the charm of the inner suburbs made it a miserable time for me in Sydney, and I'll never again book via WOTIF or with an apartment/hotel which is really just in the selling/leasing business, not the hospitality business.

Stayed January 2007