“Day Tour in the Blue Mountains with Oztrails” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 89 Food & Drink in Sydney
Paris, France
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Day Tour in the Blue Mountains with Oztrails”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I went on a day tour in the Blue Mountains with Oztrails early December.
Our driver and guide of the day Jeff was really friendly and quite knowledgeable about the mountains. I was picked-up at my hostel near Central station in Sydney at about 8:30 in the morning. The mini-bus was okay, but not too comfy. Fortunately, you don't spend long hours on the road (it is really different from a Great Ocean Road tour for example). What was surprising is that nothing on the bus was indicating it was an Oztrails bus. Our guide himself didn't wear any Oztrails shirt or thing like that. There were passengers of all ages and nationalities on my bus.
So, we went to pick up the last passengers and then started driving to the Blue Mountains. We stopped in front of a river to have some morning refreshments (fruit juice, biscuits). At that time, you also have to give your tour voucher to your guide (if you've booked online) or pay for the tour by cash or credit card. After that short stop it was a 45min drive to the very Blue Mountains. It was about 11am when we stop at our first lookout. It was an awesome spot, the scenery was amazing, with trees and beautiful colors as far as your eyes can see! Then we did a second stop to a waterfall (sorry I don't remember which one). We did a short walk to a lookout. We were still very far away from the waterfall istself and I felt really disappointed we couldn't get closer. It was a one hour walk to get to the bottom of the waterfall and of course, it was not incuded in our day trip.
It's all we did in the morning. I was a little bit anxious that I was about to miss a lot of things in the Blue Mountains as we only saw two spots during the morning.
Then, we stopped at Leura, a little (and touristic) town for lunch. You have quite a broad choice of food: some cafés, some bakeries, a Woolworths... The main problem is that it started to rain (lovely thunderstorm!) and it was difficult to find a place to seat and eat our take-away food (only a few benches in Leura). I was pretty sure it was going to rain, but it was funny to see our guide did not expect the rain and thunderstorm.
After lunch, we went to Scenic World. Be aware that you have to pay an extra fee for it as it's not included in the tour. It costs $25 per person and you have to pay by cash. It is not compulsory, you can choose not to do it by the way. Fortunately it stopped raining when we arrived. Scenic world has 4 different part: skyway, walkway (a short rainforest walk to the Three Sisters), cableway, railway(the steepest inclined railway in the world). We were not lucky because the railway was closed to pubic that day! The other attractions were good, but it was difficult to enjoy the beautiful scenery as we could hardly see the mountains because of the massive fog brought by the thunderstorm. You have to know that Blue Mountains tours are really weather dependent.
After Scenic World, we did a last stop to see an aboriginal sculpture: a kangaroo. It was interesting even though not extraordinary.
Then we started returning to Sydney. On the way back, we did a short stop at the Olympic Park. If it's something you really want to see, I advise you to go with another tour or by yourself since you won't see a lot (only a 4min stop). Then, from the Olympic Park, we took a Captain Cook Cruise to come back to Sydney. It stopped at Darling Harbour and then at Circular Quay. It was really nice despite the awful weather. It is a one hour cruise and we passed under Harbour Bridge!
You also get a postcard at the end of the day tour, as a thank you from Oztrails. I think it's a really nice attention.
Finally we arrived at Circular Quay around 6pm.

To sum up:
- Nice tour but really weather dependent
- Nice guide
- Too expensive for what you get to my mind! We've not seen so many things in the Blue Mountains, I was a little bit disappointed at the end of the day.
- If you do not care about having a guide and about the returning cruise, I advise you not to choose this tour. There are other options that can get you to the Blue Mountains for no money (you can catch the train).
- This tour is much more for people who do not have plenty of time to spend in the area (like me at the time) and want to see (at least!) the famous Three Sisters.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank FrenchieInOz

• Indonesian first
Bristol, United Kingdom
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Book to see the Blue Mountains”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

This company are excellent. We booked just 12 hours before but they arrived right at 8am for our pick-up. Dave the driver gave an excellent tour with interesting information details and stories. We caught a riverboat from Homebush back down the river to the Harbour Bridge. What a super day.

Visited November 2012
Cork, Ireland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great last minute trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We booked this trip the evening before we went to the Blue Mountains. It is well worth the $79 dollars each. We had explored the idea of hiring a car or perhaps taking the train, I am glad we decided with the trip on the coach. Pick up was prompt. Small bus so not too many stops. The journey there to the mountains was scenic and the tales that "Mouse" our bus driver/tour guide told us kept us all entertained as we made the journey. Mouse was a great guide. I would highly recommend him. Full of knowledge and was great for taking pictures in all the right spots. He does state that there is a schedule to keep. It's imperative really that everyone listens as the time is quiet tight. The stops along the way were all lovely. The weather was perfect, a little windy at the Kings table and we were advised to stay back from the edge and rightly so! Scenic World is an extra $25 dollars but worth every cent. It was quiet busy there as the kids were on school holidays. We were advised to do the opposite of the many visitors regarding the railway ride, ie go up the railway instead of down, we choose to queue for the railway as we really wanted to ride down to get the full effect of the 52 degree angle for which it is famous. The queue moved really fast to our relief! There wasnt enough time to do the long rainforest walk, the short one did us just fine. I would advise to check the weather, good weather is essential really to enjoy the views of the mountains etc. The lunch stop gives you a lot of choice, we choose the loaves and dishes recommended by Mouse our guide. It was delicious and served quickly. The walk to the waterfall was lovely 235 approx steps down to it. The journey back is uphill, I'm not fit but didnt find it that hard. It was worth it for the lovely family photo taken with the falls in the background. Mouse took as many pics as were required, patience of a saint! We had 2 teens who enjoyed the trip, no complaints from them which is always a good sign! I would recommend this trip for all visiting Sydney and on a time schedule.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank mcoadedoran
Dublin, Ireland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“No frills tour but still has a great day.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Everyone who go's to Sydney should definitely find time to see the Blue Mountains. This tour was fun, it did everything it said it would (apart from seeing any wildlife) but at the end of the day all you got for your money was a bus ride. I have done other tours in Australia for similar money that provided a decent lunch so it is a pitty this company couldn't do the same. Our driver "Micky Mouse was fun and I really enjoyed his dry wit and craziness but I could see how others may not. Over all the Blue Mountains is the reason you do this tour and if you get amazing weather like we did then you should have a great day of sight seeing.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Liam-in-Oz
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible bus and driver”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We got what we paid for I guess, a cheap tour and an el cheapo company.
The bus was dirty and the seats are horribly cramped, certainly not suitable for a whole day of touring in the Blue mountains.We were squashed up in the back seats with the smallest of a window - and they call that a tour bus ? What a joke.!
The morning tea stop at the river is a farce - a plastic cup of cordial and a stale biscuit - a waste of precious tour time whilst the guide fiddles around collecting all the money.
The guide is the driver and he drove too fast for our liking ,the bus swaying from side to side up and down the mountain.He was a young scruffy ,didn't catch his name he spoke too fast.
The mountains are very lovely when we could see out !
A complete waste of money here, ! So obviously we are very unhappy customers:

Visited August 2012