“a fabulous insight” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Sydney 6 Hour Private Tour
Ranked #141 of 470 things to do in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore one of Sydney's best kept secrets: the Brett Whiteley Studio, where one of Australia's most celebrated artists of the 20th century lived and worked, from 1988 to 1992.The Studio exhibits a selection of Whiteley's work, and glimpses of his private world can be seen in his sketchbooks, photographs, music collection and personal memorabilia.Located close to the CBD, within the cosmopolitan suburb of Surry Hills.
Gold Coast
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a fabulous insight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2007

Travelling from Brisbane for a long weekend in Sydney, this was a must do on my list. I will admit I'm a big fan of Whiteley's, and was keen to see where he worked. Downstairs has a good range of his work on display, which I was told was rotated a few times a year. There was also, on the day we visited, a life drawing class. (people pre-booked for this). Upstairs, for me, was the most amazing, and most moving. Quotes written on the walls by Whiteley are still there, his equipment and unfinished works, his furniture and mementos. Like I said, an amazing insight, and fantastic that we are able to see everything as is.
We caught a train and walked, and it was easy to find. There is also a gift shop. Recommended for art lovers.

1 Thank kauwela71