“Best Theatre in Sydney”

Sydney Theatre Company
Ranked #10 of 51 Concerts & Shows in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: Sydney Theatre Company has been a major force in Australian drama since its establishment in 1978. The Company presents an annual season of diverse productions at its own venues at The Wharf and nearby Sydney Theatre at Walsh Bay, and as the resident theatre company of the Sydney Opera House. Andrew Upton became Co Artistic Director with Cate Blanchett at the beginning of 2008 and commenced his solo tenure as Artistic Director in January 2013. Find out what's currently showing and coming up at Sydney Theatre Company by visiting our website
Reviewed December 8, 2013

It's a good location, fairly quiet mid-week (even with the Bangaroo construction). A number of reasonable eating and drinking choices nearby.

Street parking is fairly easy to find, provided you get their early.

It's a pity Cate Blanchett is no longer co-creative director.

1  Thank james_f9999

Reviewed December 7, 2013

As a visitor to Sydney who came up especially for the performance of "Waiting for Godot" - I was really impressed by the theatre itself. The play was great, but I wanted to say how well set out the seating was, the acoustics really good and the before and after flow of the audience (a packed house) was really well planned. We had the cheaper seats up in the top of the theatre and while it seemed like we were a LONG way from the stage, they were still great seats.
Well done Sydney Theatre Company for having such a great venue.

1  Thank Shirley D
Reviewed October 29, 2013

As an STC subscriber in my 4th year I only have good things to say about the company. They offer a wide variety of shows - new plays and classics; serious drama and comedy; well known Australian talent and newcomers. Definitely worth buying a subscription or just tickets to a single show. The plays are not always to my personal taste, but I never fail to be amazed by the staging and the quality of the cast.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We went to see a performance of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Great show! A good laugh. The theatre itself is comfortable, and the actors voices carried well. The surrounding streets are filled with interesting restaurants for pre- or post- show meals.

1  Thank Bin Z
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Having been a subscriber for around 25 years, I understand the need to get my new season ticket application forms in as quickly as possible and this has always been beneficial. This year I took the forms in personally on Thursday 19 Sept - just two days after they opened only to find it impossible to get some of my first choices or to only get seats much further back than I like and usually got. There was talk to provide a special option for 11 year subscribers but nothing has come of this. Finding it hard to believe so many tickets "went" on the first two days, I can only assume that there is a lot going to sponsors and their employees. I understand the need for sponsors but companies like this need to show some loyalty to their long time supporters as well.