“A Unique View of Sydney”

Natural Wanders Sea Kayak Adventures
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Unique View of Sydney”
Reviewed November 21, 2010

What a fantastic trip! After a quick "Kayaks for Dummies" lesson this novice paddler set out with Patrick in his 2-man kayak for a midweek Bridge Paddle. We left early morning and travelled a sedate 11km in 2.5-3 hours, taking in some of the bays around the harbour as well my personal favourite - the chance to paddle under the harbour bridge alongside the ferries and other morning traffic.

This trip really does offer a unique perspective on Sydney, and provides the opportunity to see the city from the water in a way just not possible from a ferry. Patrick is both knowledgeable and passionate about his home city. His insight on Sydney (from the first settlers to current events making the news) complimented the views on offer. As part of the trip Patrick will also provide photos of your paddle - saving you risking your camera in the water.

As someone who has never paddled before I felt 100% safe in Patrick's company. As well as clearly having a lot of experience paddling Sydney Harbour, Patrick uses modern equipment and carries safety kit (not that we needed it). Any concerns I had about paddling out into the harbour disappeared the moment we left the shore.

Overall this is a 5 star experience which I recommend to anyone searching for something a little bit different away from the tourist masses. You won't regret it!

1 Thank AndyFolwell

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fantastic history lesson and a bit of a workout to boot”
Reviewed May 27, 2010

I have just had a great time out on the Sydney Harbour with Patrick doing the Bridge Paddle though we actually got a bit further. This trip well and truely exceeded my expectations. Not only did I learn so much about the Harbour and its different bays, the history of some of the coastal land sites but also Patrick shares his love of old yachts that are moored around. This and a 10+ km paddle as a workout really was a great experience.
TRUELY RECOMMENDED.

virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“if you enjoy paddling don't miss this opportunity”
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I had the pleasure to paddle with Patrick on the 14th of May 2010. I was looking for a unique view of the city and its attractions, the bridge paddle offered by Patrick is spot on! We met at 0630 as arranged, assembled our kit and promptly launched. The morning views of Sydney, the opera house, harbor bridge and all the other city landmarks were lovely in the early morning sun. Viewing these sites from a kayak was just the experience I was looking for. We spent the morning paddling in and out of adjoining bays and harbors eventually making our way to small, deserted beach upon which we landed and went for a short walk. Patrick's easy manner, knowledge of the local waterways and historical knowledge of the area is quite impressive, this made for easy going and casual conversation throughout the paddle. He seems custom made for this outing. The boats and kit were top notch and Patrick displayed a comfort and confidence that can only come from years of experience. If you've flown over it, walked over it, climbed over it then it's time to paddle under it! At the risk of sounding like a paid advertiser I highly recommend an outing on the water with Patrick. cheers, michael prince george, virginia, USA

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The best ever views of Sydney, with all its history ... and great fun.”
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I just loved my paddle around Sydney harbour. Nothing is more scenic than paddling under the majestic Harbour bridge to be greeted by the sight of yachts with their brightly coloured sails on the glistening harbour in front of the Opera House. This trip gives you a unique close up view of some of the great sights of Sydney such as Kirrabilli and Admiralty House. Patrick has a fantastic knowledge of the history of Sydney its houses, yachts, and gardens. I thoroughly enjoyed his stories of some of the historic houses along the foreshore, such as May Gibbs' house or Brett Whitely's house with its magnificent garden created by his wife Wendy which is worth a wander at the end of your paddle. During our trip we also explored many yachts from some of the recent Sydney to Hobart maxis to some of the more graceful yachts from another era, plus "yatchs" of some of the richest people in Australia.

Patrick's equipment and kayaks are in excellent condition. His intsruction is clear and thorough so if you haven't paddled before you'll enjoy your trip, and if you have you're certain to learn more from Patrick who is a very experienced paddler. I'll be back for another trip when I'm next in Sydney.

1 Thank rusty0109
Minnesota
596 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,427 helpful votes
“An awesome experience, especially for beginners!”
Reviewed March 6, 2010

This tour was definitely right up there with the Bridge Climb for overall views of the harbor with a two hour workout thrown in to boot. I met Patrick at Lavender Bay at 6:30 sharp. After an expert 15-20 minute introduction to the world of kayaking, we were on our way.

The next two hours were unforgettable; it was one of the few things I did in Sydney that exceeded expectations (not that I want to raise them too high!). While learning to kayak I also learned about the many layers of history around the north neighborhoods of the harbor. Highlights are too numerous to mention, but we saw the official Prime Minister's residence (Kirribilli House), May Gibbs house (famous children's author), and the Royal Sydney Yacht club. All of this was accompanied by expert, anecdotal commentary that was an unexpected bonus. We even had time to see stingrays in a shallow portion of Shell Cove.

Furthermore, a couple days after I returned to the US I received pictures and a description of the itinerary via e-mail, a very nice professional touch.

Thanks again for your patience and an overall great experience.