“Great location and accommodation for the price”
Review of Hotel Coronation

Hotel Coronation
Ranked #119 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 19, 2014

What a gem! this hotel is in great location, close to everything and great price! Easy access from the airport via train. Coles on the corner, Queen Victoria Building across the intersection. 24hr bar, great food served on location, bottle shop. Walking distance to Darling Harbour and all other city locations.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Hotel C, Manager at Hotel Coronation, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Thank you for your review of Hotel Coronation. We were happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and made the most of our city central location. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Sydney, and maybe even tempt you to try our food in the Mezz Bar Restaurant.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

This little hotel in Park St, just a 100 metres from the Town Hall railway station, buses and the Hop on Hop off bus has to be the best find in Sydney. We had 2 rooms on the 4th floor, a double over looking Park St and a twin looking out over building at the back. Both rooms were spotless, excellent linen, tea and coffee, iron etc. The double room was small but the twin was very spacious.
The hotel has a great restaurant, bar and bottle shop attached. Ear plugs were provided but when the windows/balcony door was closed the traffic noise was minimal - less than I have in my own home. Air con was great and not very noisy.
The only significant issue is the old lift (2 doors) which is fine except for the elderly such as my 90 year old mother who could never have managed on her own.

Room Tip: Room 404, twin was exceptionally good. 403 was small but had a great view of the QVB, Town Hall etc.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

The secret is out! Thank you for such a detailed review and we were pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Coronation. Our staff aim to provide the best in cleanliness and customer service, so it was lovely to hear this was your experience with us.
Our lift is original to the building and while it has a lot of character, we understand it can be fiddly. Our staff are always on hand to help guests if they are having any trouble working it and would be more than happy to assist you and your mother should you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. From other reviews we did except 5 star facilities.

It was easy to get to from the airport to the Town Hall but it's a bit confusing which Exit to take.

The location is great, central to everything.

Our room was very small (room 402) for 2 people and we were not able to open the wardrobe doors fully, there was a crack in the bathroom sink but the room was clean. There is no safe deposit box.

Gloria Jean's Coffee House opposite offer free wi fi when you make a purchase - they do good coffee.

Aero cafe around the corner do good breakfasts - bacon and poached eggs on sourdough bread.

Overall we had a good stay and loved Sydney.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sulee

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. We were pleased to hear that you were happy with the cleanliness of the room, and enjoyed the central location.
If you do stay with us again, we would be more than happy to provide you with a larger room and assist in any way to make your stay with us enjoyable.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Coronation for seven nights total. Six nights then returned for my final night in Sydney after visiting Melbourne. When I booked the hotel I knew it wouldn't be anything fancy and didn't expect that for the price. Being a solo female traveler what I wanted was a clean, safe hotel in a good location and that is what Hotel Coronation delivered.

The hotel is very easy to get to from the airport. Just get an airport gatepass and get off at Townhall. The hotel is right next to Woolworth's. When I arrived around 10:30 a nice lady checked me in and stored my luggage while my room was being prepared. I was able to check in at 12:00. She directed me on where I could walk to find the Darling Harbour, Circular Quay, Westfield Mall, etc. Very helpful as I was able to wonder around.

The location could not be any better. You can walk almost everywhere! I purchased a multipass but didn't really use it. I walked to the harbor, circular quay ( although that can be quite a walk), Chinatown, Pitt street mall, Paddy's Market. I also like that it was very lively in the evening ( I hate cities that close early). I was in room 203 which is towards the front so I did get street noise but I am used to it being from a big city.

The room was clean with a queen bed, small fridge, tv, desk and chair. The room is small but not as small as European standards. The lift is a pain. Since I was on the second floor I just took the stairs other than when I needed to take my luggage up and down. It is difficult trying to get a 50 pound suitcase in/out of the lift but the staff will help. The nice lady helped at check in and a nice handsome young manager when I almost fell out the lift with my suitcase...lol

The front desk closes at 8:30 p.m. I believe but just go to the bar and ask for the manager who can check you in or assist you if you need something else.

The hotel does not have Wi-Fi but there is a internet café in Woolworth's. I didn't use it so I don't know how much it costs but I did get a mobile broadband modem from Vodaphone which allowed me to have Wi-Fi for multiple devices. This costs about $100 and comes with 3GB. I liked this because I like to have Wi-Fi wherever I go so I wasn't just restricted to using it in the room.

A couple of minor improvements for the hotel:
Better lighting in the rooms- The rooms are so dark and the lighting does not help
Sheer curtains for the windows- I was on the second floor so I had to close the curtains so people on the street couldn't see me which meant the daylight couldn't come in the room and with the poor lighting the room was pitch black. It would be nice to have sheers so light can come in without people being able to see in the room.

Overall I had a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank MsNikkiT

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience at Hotel Coronation. We were happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and felt safe and looked after by the staff. Your positive feedback has been passed on to the team.
It was also great to hear you made the most of our central location and were able to explore the city easily. Our central location is something we are very proud of, as is our high level of customer service and cleanliness.
Thank you for also taking the time to make some suggestions on how we can further look after our guests. These have been passed onto management and will be taken on board. We hope to see you if you visit Sydney again in the future.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The staff member that did our check in was pleasant and helped explain the lift to us as it is very old. We had booked two rooms but only one was available at that time. We dropped all our bags in the one room and I proceeded to look for a hairdryer as it had been raining, there wasn't one but just had to ring housekeeping to get one. The bed was ok but the room was on the smaller size same with the bathroom. We were placed right beside the air conditioner unit but were supplied with earplugs that we didn't need as it wasn't that bad. (We were told about the noise before we booked the room). My only complaint and it really isn’t their fault was that we went over our 24 hour parking by 40 minutes and had to pay a further $30 which I thought was a bit rich. Over all ok, just a bit too small for my liking. We did eat tea there on the Saturday night which was very reasonably price and very nice meals. The drinks were a great price as well.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Coronation on your recent visit to Sydney. We were happy to read that our staff were able to assist you with inquires throughout your stay, and that you also enjoyed dining at the Mezz Bar Restaurant. We have rooms in a number of sizes and should you choose to stay with us again in the future, would be happy to offer you a larger room upon booking.
Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and for your feedback.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We traveled as a family group of 7 and stayed here for 3 nights in late December. We arrived at the hotel very early in the morning after our trans-Pacific flight. The bar manager was the person on duty and he was very helpful. He let us leave our bags in a closet while we walked down to the opera house for a morning tour. The closet didn't lock, so we were a bit nervous, but he reassured us that everything would be fine, and it was. After we returned, we were thrilled that our rooms were available well before regular check-in time. The rooms are fairly spartan but clean and comfortable. This is true of the hotel itself as well. The location was perfect. Everything was within easy walking distance, including both upscale and inexpensive shopping, restaurants, Chinatown, Darling Harbour, and the Opera House area. We were disappointed that the Mezz restaurant was closed for the holiday, but the plus side was we got to experience more of the city by going out to find restaurants. The reception desk is not manned 24-7, but when we needed anything at other times, the bar manager always was very helpful, as was all other staff with whom we interacted. We were there during a holiday time, so were not surprised that the bar was normally busy, as were others nearby, even at 6 in the morning. We were not disturbed by any noise, however, and never felt uncomfortable when outside. In sum, this is a perfect choice for people who want a clean, comfortable, safe, but not luxurious place to stay in a great location with easy access to many things to do in Sydney.

Room Tip: We requested a higher floor, which helped keep the bar and street noise to a minimum.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ken G

We remember your stay with us in December and are happy to hear you all made it home safely, and enjoyed your holiday in Sydney.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for the positive feedback. Hotel Coronation aims to offer clean and affordable rooms, along with a high level of customer service and we were very pleased to read that this was your experience during your stay.
Holiday periods are always busy and we were also pleased to hear that you and your family were made to feel welcome and looked after at all times. This feedback has been passed onto our staff.
If you are ever back in Sydney, we hope to see you again.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Four nights spent in a very inexpensive, but very comfortable suite. Could not fault the service or the friendliness of the staff. And as for the restaurant on the first floor, what a fantastic ambience with exceptional food at prices you just wont believe. And to top it off, the Pitt Street mall is across the street, and only 100 metres to the Queen Victoria Building. A big thanks to Rob Stuart and all his staff, for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying at Hotel Coronation during your recent trip to Sydney. It was lovely to hear you enjoyed the facilities and made the most of our central city location.
We were also pleased to hear you enjoyed dining at The Mezz Bar Restaurant. Your kind feedback has been passed on to to Rob and all the staff.
We hope to see you again for your next trip to Sydney.