“Central hotel near train station and supermarket”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Coronation

Hotel Coronation
Ranked #119 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Australia
“Central hotel near train station and supermarket”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were visiting from Melbourne and needed a room for two nights so we Googled a few hotels and were pretty happy to find this hotel since it was in a central area. We were on a tight budget and we found a great deal for this place ($109/night). The receptionist was friendly too.

It's clean. That's pretty much all we wanted and we were satisfied.

It's in close proximity to:
- Pitt Street (for shopping)
- A major supermarket (Woolworths)
- Trains. The town hall station is easy to walk to. We took the train back to the airport too.
The hotel happily kept our bags safely aside since we were flying out later than check-out.

They had the older caged elevator that you had to fully shut before it moved. The metal's a little heavy to hold open, so if you've got any arm injuries make sure you've got company who can manage a bit of force.

We also ended up eating dinner at their restaurant. The food here's good too so don't hesitate to go in if you're not planning on travelling too far around town.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank notamouse
CoroSyd, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Coronation, responded to this review, September 5, 2016
Thank you for your review. Hotel Coronation

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Mackay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Hotel has friendly staff and is very clean,and is very cheap for city accomodation and is right in the middle of the city, so close to everything, great meals in the mezz rest, 24hr bar so has everything any body needs.

Room Tip: any room is good
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Rose R
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

I'm totally impressed with the state of cleanliness of the room.
The bathroom is a little small but sufficient.
Great location with Woolworth supermarket just next to it!
Convenient to everywhere anytime!
Great value!
I got to experience the "old fashioned manual" lift too!
Lovely! Recommended for those who are happy with a basic room for a night of good sleep.
Pls note there isn't any wifi though, no shower foam too else all's good!

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank ongailing
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

came across this on the net..great find right in the middle of the city and good deal for $129 when other hotels in the area are $400 plus a night..near the station, shops and transport ..you get a clean room, bed and bathroom what more do you need

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank SimonTrav
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

Got woken up at 515 am for over a hour of ignorant truck driver having a beer barrel throwing contest onto his truck surely the truck company can spare rubber matting in the truck and a bit more respect to people sleeping. We could hear it on the 3rd floor. The lift sucks old cage thing can barely squeeze 3 people in it . Couldn't sleep well on the bed sort of a large single? For 2 people. The rooms are tiny. Apart from that the value and location is excellent and top restaurant next door

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank 2012tourists
Thank you for your review. Hotel Coronation

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

I found this hotel in an odd manner during my research for my trip to Sydney. I was looking at the location of another hotel on Google Maps,and saw this one listed. After looking it up and inquiring,I decided to reserve it for my 6 night stay,March 6-11,2012. At $109/nt AUD,it was cheaper than most hotels for a private room with ensuite bathroom,and the location seemed to be ideal (short of having a harbour view,that is:)

I found the hotel easily upon leaving the Town Hall station. It was located next to a HUGE supermarket,Woolworth's.Upon my arrival,the receptionist Jen greeted me warmly,and locked up my bags since it wasn't time to check in. She seemed genuinely apologetic that there wasn't a room available. She gave me a city map and directions to my first attraction.

When I returned a few hours later, I encountered the beginning of a horrific experience with my bank declining my card. Long story short,the night receptionist,Natalia,did what she could to assist me.She helped me plug in my dying cell pone,gave me water, and sympathized. When it became apparent that I couldb't reach my bank or access any funds,she conferred with the manager and allowed me to check in for the night,with the understanding that it would be fixed the next day. She even gave me a free drink voucher for the Mezz Bar,citing that I needed it. She assisted me in carrying my bags up the claustrophobic elevator(very reminiscent of European elevators) while I took the stairs.

Upon entering my room, I found it to be clean,small,but bigger than the last single room I had in Europe. There was a queen sized bed,desk,TV,mini-fridge,good sized closet and small bathroom with shower. I was a bit stumped by the two buttons on the toilet,but can assume the difference.....

The window faced Park St,and I could see the large Galleries Victoria across the street,along with other stores littering the street,and McDonalds catticorner from the hotel. In the other direction you can see the QVB. Also,beside these two mega shopping complexes,the Pitt St Mall is about 3 minutes away.

The next day,as I attempted to resolve my banking woes,the day receptionist Jen was still pleasant and helpful.She lend me a three pronged electric adaptor for my laptop,as well as a hairdryer.Whn I was in tears outside my room,two of the maids took the time to allow me to vent and chatted with me,making me feel better.

Although my bank issue lasted throughout the day,I was able to withdraw enough cash to pay for my stay,and Jen was able to put a large amount of my cash in the safe. She was very thorough in securing it in an envelope,and reassured me of the security.

During my stay,every receptionist greeted me whenever I entered and left,and always provided advice and tourism tips. I felt very secure as a single woman staying there,even without a receptionist there overnight.The manager stood outside the adjacent bar and watched the locked door of the hotel entrance. Not that it mattered,as the streets of Sydney seemed quite safe,even late at night.

My checkout was smooth,and my cash was securely returned to me. The manager even stored my bags when I realized that I left an hour early,so that i could run out and fit in one last walk on the harbor.

Overall,the room was clean,comfortable,and safe,which was the basic need I had in a hotel. Add to that,the location was superb,and with the Town Hall station a block away,Circular Quay was 10 minutes away. These two qualities would have been enough for me to give it a high mark,as I dont really notice fading carpets and the like. And I know a lot of people equate great hotels as those posh ones with exquisite views,fancy amenities and luxurious bath products.

But to me,customer service is exactly what those at Hotel Coronation provided for me. In time of need,they went above and beyond to assist me and put me at ease.I can't say that the staff at say, a Hilton or Marriott would have done the same. To me,that is worth every dollar I spent and more.

Would I stay at Hotel Coronation again or recommend to others? In a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Supposedly rooms higher up are quieter. However,you can still hear the trucks loading outside Woolwo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
13 Thank Sunbird121
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights. We asked for upper levels to avoid being disturbed by street noise as the hotel is on a busy street. The hotel itself is fairly old, 4 levels, narrow entrance, next to a pub. The lift is pretty old and will need some muscles to open and close the lift door. The rooms are small with small bathroom and toilet. I guess the location is the one which grabs all the points. Its well placed right in the heart of the city, 5 mins walk to Sydney Tower and to Darling Harbour. There's a supermarket within 1 min from the hotel which was of great help to us. Compared to the other hotels around, we thought this to be a great bargain ($109/night) for what we were after.

• Stayed March 2012