Railway Square YHA was my last stop on my trip around Australia. I chose it on recommendation from a friend I met along the way. The location is fantastic right on the train station and even being that close there was no train noise which was great! However, with this being my first time in a YHA I can't say I've been left thrilled with the experience. There are a number of things I feel could be improved upon, to start with:
1. The ladies bathrooms on the ground floor were not as clean as they should have been. The toilets were fine but the showers had mould in all of them to varying degrees (not exactly what I was expecting in a YHA).
2. Reception staff treated me like I was an inconvenience to their conversation rather than a paying customer. That really didn't bode well on my first night nor my second last morning.
3. I discovered on my second last day that I was actually entitled to a breakfast voucher as I had booked to stay a week. The fact that I was not given this nor was it even mentioned during my stay is shocking and would have saved me buying breakfast every day. When I complained about it was blown off by reception. This alone has left me well unimpressed.
4. Fridges - I understand that the hostel is busy but really it can't be that hard to make enough fridge space available. Every evening I came in to discover my food packet had been moved and some large cooler bag put in it's place. One evening myself and a friend had to do a full on fridge unpack to locate my food which had been relocated to a completely different section of the fridge. While I do expect my stuff to be moved around I don't think allowing large shopping bags (woolworths style) in the fridges is ideal.
5. Condiments would be nice. All the other hostels I stayed in provided salt for cooking it would be nice if the YHA would do the same. The same applies to coffee and tea.
6. Internet. OMG the slowest internet connection in the world. It is not free and a which supposedly buys you 1 hour but actually it's gives 50 minutes. They snake you 5 minutes at the end by magically requiring a top up at 55 minutes and you cannot proceed without it and it takes so long to log on to the desk top that you've lost 10 minutes internet time before you even started! The wi-fi card is only for one device too which is a hassle and given I needed to use a desk top not my mobile made the whole experience a hassle. You can't buy an internet voucher for the week either unless you want a wi-fi! voucher? Internet is treated like a massive commodity not the traveller essential it has become.
7. My last issue was that the carpet in my room was sticky as if a previous traveller had spilled something and sadly stayed that way during the entire stay.
There were some positives though:
- Even though the communal area wasn't the cleanest it was actually really nice to have such a large space to hang out, eat dinner in and meet people or watch tv.
- I especially like the to recycling point on the ground floor for unwanted items. A nice easy way for the travelling community to help each other out without it becoming an effort.
- The location was brilliant, as mentioned above with great transport links as all the busses on George Street stop right outside and suburban and airport trains are right on the doorstep, which makes getting around really easy and convenient.
Overall if you like meeting people this is not a bad place to stay but you need to be prepared to look beyond the issues and the "long stayers".
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sydney's most laid back hostel, Railway Square YHA adjoins Central Station, in the heart of Sydney's backpacker district. Stay in one of the funky railway carriages on the former Platform Zero or one of the comfy rooms in the historic 1904 main building, now converted into contemporary accommodation. Hostel features a spa pool, free Wi-Fi hotspot (Premium Wi-Fi Plus also available), 24-hour access, tour desk, indoor and outdoor communal areas, self-catering kitchen. Walking distance to the best pubs in Sydney, Chinatown and Darling Harbour. Please note that our pool is currently under renovation and might be out of action. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Ctrip TA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Railway Square YHA reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Railway Square Yha Hotel Sydney