“best value for money in Sydney's hostels”
Review of Railway Square YHA

Railway Square YHA
Ranked #11 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Karlsruhe, Germany
“best value for money in Sydney's hostels”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed at a couple of hostels in Sydney and have to admit that there is no other like Railway Square where you get that much for your money. For me it was located perfectly, no matter what my plans were. All in all I stayed there for about 8 weeks and it was easy to go to work in the morning (directly at the Central Station) and go out in the in Inner City in the evening...
The rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff is really something special. They are not just working for you but some of them even become real friends. But the best is still the lounge with all of its couches where everyone gathers in the evening or also during the day to have a chat and meet new interesting people.
All in all i can say, that this is one of the last hostels in Sydney, where people really care for a good atmosphere and try to make you feel at home

Room Tip: the wagons at the rails in the back are a bit too bright and loud in the morning. just pick a room i...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed May 22, 2013

positive: enough space in the room, female-only dorms avialable, 24 hours reception, very clean kitchen, nice living room

negative: bathrooms and toilets very dirty, duvet covers are not changed any time when a person checks out means you might have to sleep in the bed sheets of another person (DISGUSTING), staff very unfriendly and not willing to help you, you always get the feeling you disturb them, I asked them to call a taxi for me they didn't want to do it please don't ask me why

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Chris Z
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Railway Square YHA, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Hi Chris Z
Thank you for your review of this hostel and YHA looks carefully at all issues raised in reviews of our hostels. Just to explain about bedding - in Australia, it's hostel practice that all guest receive clean linen on check in - bottom and top sheet , pillow cases, and then the duvet (doona) is used as a blanket. They are in turn rotated out regularly by housekeeping for cleaning.
We are sorry that the staff didn't explain that we have issues with local taxi companies not coming up the drive to the hostel so we suggest to guests that it is much quicker to walk the 20 metres down to the main road where you can flag a taxi down easily. You also then avoid the pick up fee. Our apologies that this wasn't properly explained.

We hope you enjoy the rest of your visit to Australia.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed here for several weeks and have over all enjoyed my stay. The rooms are basic, but have lockers and the beds are clean. The rest of the room however was never cleaned for the duration of my stay, the carpet was disgusting (covered in hair) and there was stuff left by old guests all over the top of the lockers. There were only two plug sockets in the room I stayed in (ground floor 4 bed dorm) which could be annoying because obviously nowadays everyone has things they need to charge.
The bathrooms also had serious cleanliness issues, as mentioned by other guests, they seem to think hosing them down is sufficient in cleaning them, and shut them off for over an hour every night to do so. However the showers are nice and there are plenty of them. The communal area is nice, I met several friends there and enjoyed a few evenings socialising. The kitchen was nice and big and generally very clean. The only problem I had was when there were big groups of kids booked in and they would take over the whole kitchen all evening.
I took them up on the weekly offer ($224 a week for a four bed dorm, free breakfast and a free activity meal per week) which I thought was quite good value for money. However I had to leave for work at 7.30 and often the lady opening the café in the morning would be late and dragging her heels (she clearly was not in love with her job) so I wouldn’t have time to have the free breakfast which was very annoying. The guys working in the café were always very friendly and managed to open the café on time.
The other staff were ok, generally I found the women to be very unhelpful and rather clicky. One lady told me I had to move rooms when I extended (even though I pleased not to), only to find out from a male member of staff that it wasn’t necessary and he very kindly moved things around so I could stay in there.
All in all it was a nice hostel, if I was returning to Sydney I would probably return there short term, but would find somewhere else if I was around for a while I’d probably choose somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for 5 weeks. Met some amazing friends and had a really good time. The hostel is in a central location right next to the train station making it easy to get around. There is a large communal area and kitchen that is well equipped. I paid in week blocks getting the breakfast included offer which was really good value. The hostel it's self is not the cleanest, bathrooms just cleaned by being hosed down, our bedroom got vacuumed once in my entire stay...by me!! The female staff really ruined this stay for me and the other girls I met, they're rude, unhelpful and only interested in speaking to the male guests. The lady at breakfast never even spoke to myself or any of the 6 girls I met here and 2 of the reception staff used to drink on night shifts and play pool with male guests till the early hours being very loud. Would I stay in the hostel again? Yes but only for the location...

• Stayed April 2013
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Railway Square YHA, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hi Trix
Thanks for your review of this YHA and we value all feedback from guests, especially those that chose to stay with us for a while. The manager has seen your review and will be discussing it with our staff as we put high importance on customer service and friendliness.
Railway Square has also recently reviewed its cleaning protocol and issues you raised have been resolved.
We hope you enjoy the rest of your visit to Australia.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed here in January 2012 as I was in between apartments. I chose it because of the great location and the reviews on here. So yes, the location is great (right beside bus terminals and central station). When I arrived at the hostel I was early for check-in, so wasn't expecting to get to my room, however the way the receptionist handled it wasn't great. She just stated I was 'too early', I had to ask her where I could store my luggage, she just pointed outside. Where I found the paid lockers. ok fine. That night, I got shown to my 4 bed dorm, it was right next to reception, it was empty (for the 1st night), beds seemed clean, lockers and a bin. very basic. Got woken at 7am by music blaring from reception. quickly found that the bathrooms were hosed down, and that was how they were cleaned. Not very hygienic. No body seemed to want to socialise, and since I was by myself, I found it lonely. After a couple of nights, I noticed bites on my arms and legs, and passed it off as fly s or mosquitoes, however it got worse. On closer inspection of my bed clothes I found bed bugs! I assumed that my room mate brought them in with her camping gear which she emptied out into the room, shook down and left on the floor. When I told reception, they basically blamed me for bringing them in! He accused me, said I must have been camping or in other hostels. (I had been living in an apartment since September!?) I requested to be moved, so they put me in a cramped room, upstairs with NO air conditioning, great.

All in all the location is decent, staff aren't very polite and it's not clean enough for me.

Room Tip: Don't stay near reception.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank targaryenfire_blood
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Railway Square YHA, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Hi Sarahirishgirl
Thanks for your review of Railway Sq YHA and we value all feedback from guests.
As you stayed with us quite a while ago now, you might like to know that we have reviewed our cleaning procedures at this hostel since you stayed , and the ambient music also goes on later in the morning following guest feedback. All YHA hostels also follow a comprehensive pest management program to ensure we minimise where possible issues like bed bugs
We are sorry that there were some concerns with staff at the hostel - we would always encourage all guests under these circumstances to ask to speak to the manager who can then deal with the matters raised.
We hope you enjoyed your visit to Australia.
Sydney
Reviewed May 9, 2013

the good: nice little hostel, friendly and funny staff(most), clean rooms and clean kitchen, quite modern, lockers

the bad: the rooms are too cold, its like a fridge, you cant change the temperature of the aircon because its a central one, same temperature for the whole second floor => a lot of people have just opened the windows wich is a real energy wasting

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Railway Square YHA, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Hi Dan
Thanks for your review of Railway Sq YHA and we are sorry that you didn't find the AC temperature setting right in your room. We do always encourage guests to contact reception (open 24 hours) if they are having a problem with things like this, so the system can be tweaked.
We look forward to seeing you again at another YHA.
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Railway Square can boast of modern facilities and a great location. I'm not sure wether it's best of all hostels at Railway Square, because it's hard to find at first, but being close to the station it is very easy to access main Sydney's attractions. The staff is very helpful in organizing time in Sydney. The only thing I didn't like is the music they play at the property throughout the day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo