“Good” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Railway Square YHA

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Railway Square YHA
Ranked #12 of 136 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
London, United Kingdom
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here for two nights and overall had a good stay. I have not stayed in many hostels though I would consider this to be high end in terms of hostels. I stayed in a 4 bed hostel, rooms were clean, dark when curtains were drawn and well air conditioned. There is plenty of locker space in the rooms and reception has padlocks to buy for a small amount of money making it secure. Kitchen and dining room were roomy and the equipment is good. Breakfast price was reasonable though it is really just stuff you could buy from a supermarket for a lot less. Access to doors is all done electronically using a card, this can be a pain as you have to carry your card everywhere in addition to this my card did stop working several times during my stay. Linen was provided and you had to make your own bed, I believe this is fairly common for hostels though I did find this difficult as I arrived late and my roommates were already asleep when I got to the room meaning I had to make my bed in the dark! After the first night my linen and hired towel was taken so I had to get new ones. Room price was fairly standard, a few problems but nothing major, I enjoyed the stay and I would be comfortable staying in a YHA brand hostel again as I believe the facilities and service would be similar.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bydgoszcz
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The place has its unique loctaion, that's undisputed. It is simply at the railway station and some of the bedrooms are in the carriages. That is really great. Our son, we were travelling with, had a great fun looking at the carriages. And it is quite awsome when you see a train just behind the door glass:) But, we didn't like was a prison- like double room and a big, iron, heavy door guarding the entrance to our corridor. The bathroom was clean, though. But I wouldn't like to stay there for more then one day.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Perfect location right by central station (if you plan on moving along within a couple of days). The hostel is spotless clean, got very good facilities (kitchen, bathrooms etc.) and it's a nice detail with the train wagons for dorms. Expect the usual add ons for internet, breakfast etc. The hostel lacks personality and atmosphere and it is not a place to meet fellow travellers.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the train wagons as not all beds are in the wagons
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Stirling, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was a bit leery checking into the Railway Square after I lost my room at Sydney Central. Right next to the railway station, I wondered how loud it would be. I had one of the two-bunk-bed 'railroad' car rooms and to my surprise enjoyed the experience. The beds were comfortable and the showers were good. One thing, though, if you are in one of the railroad cars you have to step outside to go to the bathroom at night. Thought it would be more of a nuisance than it was. You can also see if there are beds available in their conventional rooms. Common area is very inviting and there's a big kitchen, if you want to cook. Overall, for the value, a good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Puyallup, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Super close to transportation and everything you'd need. Free breakfast which is limited but does the job. Free computers to use, very modern, very clean, and comfortable. I thought sharing a bathroom might be a bit weird and dirty but absolutely no problems whatsoever. I would love to go back to Sydney and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Tempe, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here for two nights after coming from Sydney Central YHA and it ended up being a great decision. The people at the reception were very friendly and willing to help! As far as bathrooms went they were quite nice compared to other hostels that I've been to.

Also there is simply no better location! It's so easy to catch the bus or train here which is useful if you need to get somewhere in the city or simply go out of town.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We arrived at railway square on Christmas Day. Our first impressions were very busy, clean and modern. The hostel at this time of year was unexpectedly full of backpackers and travellers.

The reception staff were quite grumpy in my opinion, perhaps they just didn't want to be working over Christmas and new year. We were given our key and told to wait a few hours until we could check in. Starving hungry we sat in the communal area and decided to order some food from the cafe in the hostel. I was very surprised that after ordering 2 lots of beans on toast, we were handed a can of beans and some slices of bread...We cooked, ate and were soon told our room was ready. We went into the dorm we were assigned but none of the beds were made up. After waiting hours we had to go back to reception and ask them if we had the right room. They said yes, but two of the people staying in our dorm hadn't checked out on time, so the room wasn't ready...even though we had just been told it was...eventually the room was made up and we took our stuff in. The dorms were quite dark, but each bunk had a lockable cupboard which was good.

The hostel was quite tedious. The bathroom is faraway if you are staying in the carriage dorms. This may be normal for hostels, but the others I have stayed in in Australia have been much more homely, without needing to walk outside to use the bathroom. I was surprised at first of all having to pay for wifi, and secondly the cost of it. $8 for three days use seemed extortionate to me.

On our last night of our 5 night stay, we had decided to book a double room. We paid $100 for the room and it was very basic. Literally just a bed and a door. I'd recommend saving money and just going in a dorm.

The location of the hostel is probably the best bit. If you are arriving by plane to Sydney, the hostel is 4 stops from the airport. Tickets are expensive but the journey is straight forward. The hostel is just a few minutes walk from the greyhound terminal, handy if you have a big backpack, and the hostel isn't too far from supermarkets and the centre of Sydney. The free shuttle bus is a good way to get to circular quay without walking for 30 minutes.

The overall feel of the hostel was quite cliquey. Though this isn't the fault of the hostel itself. The facilities were good, rooms were clean, but everything was overpriced.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple