Railway Square YHA
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney(Sydney)
$192
$130
  • Room Service
$164
  • Restaurant
The Grace Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$118
$195
$182
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrain carriagebig kitchenweekly ratefemale dormlarge lockersdorm roomcommon areaslounge areayour luggagea lot of noisestayed here for nightswould stay here againfree breakfastbeds were comfortablewe've stayedlight sleeperperfect location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We've stayed here a total of 4 times over 6 to 7 years and our rooms have always been clean. The communal bathrooms are also cleaned regularly and so is the cooking area.
Can be loud outside, but what do you expect? It's a YHA filled with young adults! In a great location too - close to everything you need :)

I look forward to staying here in the future

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed at Railway Square over Christmas and New Year. Fair to say it's the worst hostel I've stayed at during my six months of travelling and it's put me off using YHA's in the future. Management seem to think that hosing down the toilets and bathrooms is sufficient enough to be classed as cleaning them. It isn't, and that's why the toilets and bathrooms are always in such a poor state. Very unhygienic considering how many people use them. Rooms are OK, but the ones I stayed in were definitely in need of a good clean! The carpets were filthy. If you find yourself in a carriage, you can expect to hear the sound of trains and service announcements throughout the day and night. Alternatively if you find yourself in a standard room, you'll get a nice wake up call from reception at 9am each morning at no extra cost! This wake up call being the loudest and most annoying music they can find to play. It's to make sure people are awake in time to check out but it's very inconsiderate on the guests who aren't checking out. The hostel constantly runs out of bed linen and staff seem to take this lightly. "Come down later when we should have some" they say. I'm sorry but at rates in excess of $30 a night providing clean bed linen at check-in should never be an issue. If you're looking for a good time, you won't get it here. It's the least social place I've stayed at. Guests keep themselves to themselves and the hostel does very little to get the guests talking to each other. Also, if you have any issues during your stay don't expect the reception staff to be of assistance. I had a guy relieving himself in one of my rooms and was told that I shouldn't find this offensive and to deal with it by the night receptionist who I reported it to. There's much better alternative accommodation in Sydney CBD, so consider your options before choosing this hostel. Personally, you couldn't pay me to stay here again. That's how bad it is.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Ant D
Reviewed January 4, 2013

As a family we have been using this hostel since it first opened and have enjoyed terrific accommodation in the heart of Sydney at very reasonable rates.

Our latest trip was interesting to see how average cleaning services have impacted on the overall cleanliness and impression of the accommodation. Plus while we had booked in on day one, sheets were unavailable for one of our registered guests until 5.00pm on the second day of our stay.

International staff may provide assistance in their native language to travelers but a nod in the direction of hospitality training could go a long way.

Room Tip: The majority of guests are young people so be prepared to hear activities until approx. 11.00pm. Air conditioner noise in our room was loud.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed at Sydney Railway Square YHA for 4 nights with my good friend at the all-female dorm. The room was on the first floor and it was huge room for all 4 occupants (2 were new friends from Germany and Canada).

I liked this hostel because:-
1) Its excellent location. It's just a few minutes' walk from Central Station - which made our trip in Sydney so easy.

2) Comfort. Despite the female toilets/showers being not so well maintained at times - the hostel room was spotlessly clean and comfortable. However, it was quite noisy at night because just outside our room was where guests would hang out (just outside the lobby).

3) Safe and secure. The hostel provides us guests with a card that we will need to use as a key to our room and into the hostel after 10.00pm (after which they will lock the main door). There's a grill at the main door to the dorm rooms on the Ground Floor.

4) Super fast check-in and check-out. Both were done in less than 2 minutes.

There is however quite a lot of things that the hostel should improve which are:-
1) Cleanliness. Although I didn't use the kitchen a lot - I could see it was not clean. This happens because there were just too many guests and I think the staffs were outnumbered; we were there during Christmas and New Year - so maybe there were just not enough people to look after the kitchen.

The female toilets/showers were not that clean as well; not up to YHA standards. I stayed at another YHA hostel in Melbourne, but it was clean all the time.

2) Friendliness of the staffs. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give them a 7. They were still genuine and helpful though. But a warm and friendly smile wouldn't harm anyone would it? :D

All in all, I loved it there. I'd come back to stay because of its location and clean and comfy room :D

Room Tip: Book early for rooms during Christmas and New Year's Eve - I booked mine in April 2012 - just a week after that, the rooms were no longer available for less than 5-nights' stay. Ask for a room which is not next to the main door to the hostel - it can be super noisy at night. Bring your own padlock to lock your locker. When you've checked out from your room - it is quite expensive to keep your things at the locker provided by the hostel somewhere behind the hostel. Go to Platform 1 at Central Station; there's a Luggage Check-In & Collection service - at which you can keep your luggage/bags at AUD4.40 per bag - and you can keep them up until quite late but not overnight. (Each bag must not exceed 20kg).
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Well it's a mixed bag really. It looks pretty nice, kitchen is ok, didn't really have to wait to cook. There's just a very strange atmosphere. We stayed over Christmas and New Year and expected more from a hostel at this time of year. Other travellers we know had pretty much a full itenary whereas here was nothing. So we met absolutely nobody new. Everyone sits on the sofas, laptops out, earphones in and it's very antisocial. The common room can be full and you won't hear a sound. As to the hostels "Noise Policy", its a joke. I know 9am isn't exactly the crack of dawn, but after a day of sightseeing an travelling the city it would be nice to have the option to sleep in, no chance, absolute garbage music blasted through the hostel speakers that's so loud in the rooms it wakes you up. So bizzare seeing as the guests aren't exactly partying! Also, at night, people sit right outside the windows and drink. I've seen management feedback saying "we're 24 hours so tell reception if its noisy", I would have, but he was out there with them smoking so not exactly an easy task. Also, hosing down the toilets is not cleaning them, this is why they stink every day. Pools of water sit in the corners constantly. Would I stay here again, nope. Would I stay in a YHA again? Probably not.

• Stayed: December 2012