“Like trying to go to sleep in the bar of my local pub...”

Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
Ranked #58 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
fishie82
“Like trying to go to sleep in the bar of my local pub...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2008

The "Delux" room was tiny, the bathroom was just clean enough. There was a distinct smell of cigarettes in the room (non-smoking hotel). When going to bed, the bed had only one thin blanket on it and the heater did not work. After several attempts to get through to reception to request more bankets, was told I could come down and get them or wait half an hour for her to bring them up.

Then spent the next few hours lying in bed, listening to the coversations and crashes and noises from pokies coming from the bar downstairs. The cigarette smell got worse as people who smoked had to go to a little spot underneath our window to do so! The bar closed at 3:00 am.

A very sleepless night and when we checked out, the new receptionist was not at all interested in our comments on the room.

Not happy Jan! Will not go back for seconds.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — smellls and noises in the room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Adelaide
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

We booked this hotel on the basis of it's "boutique" name badge and the photos on the website. A bit disappointing. Also, the lift was not working when I arrived (following a work conference at the Sheraton - so this was a bit of a let down).

The room they gave us could sleep 5 which was a bit of overkill for the two of us. It was so noisy from the traffic noise from the street below that I attempted to close the windows which had been left slightly open. I was really surprised at how dirty I got from touching the inside of the windows - they were filthy. It did, however, cut down on some of the noise but I had to sleep with cotton wool in my ears for the two nights we stayed there.

The location is quite convenient, however, due to the types of clubs, etc in the vicinity, we had to walk past some pretty seedy establishments after we had been out for dinner.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2008

The room i shared with a friend had a bunk bed and a full size bed. It was more like an upscale hostel than a real hotel, but it was perfect for what we needed - a somewhat central location to stop in and shower, change and sleep between visiting all that Sydney has to offer. The staff was friendly, rooms clean, and fellow travelers fairly respectful when it came to noise. its a younger clientele, but that's to be expected for the price. I would recommend and stay again.

• Liked — upscale hostel feel for a good price
  • Disliked — the elevator was out of order
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank socaltransplant
nyc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2008

I found a disparity between the hotel's exaggerated marketing descriptions ('grandeur,' 'style,' and 'unique') and the actual experience. Yes, the hotel is conveniently located in the CBD/Chinatown area; however, it is also located on a busy, noisy eyesore of a block. My 'deluxe' double was plain, cramped and noisy (from both the street and the stairwell); and with an extended weekend rate of AUD143, not a particularly good value for money.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Lutterworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2008

This is a fairly large hotel on George Street, on the edge of China town. It has 3 floors and is over Charlie Chan's bar & restaurant.

It has a 24 hour reception and I found the staff helpful.

It's a good location with easy bus access to the Harbour and Bondi and it's close to the monorail and Central Railway Station.

Only thing I didn't like was when one of the kids got chocolate on the sheets and they weren't changed.

• Liked — Price and convenience of bus and train routes to everywhere I wanted to go
  • Disliked — Very noisy over Easter from Church next door
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Brisbane Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2008

I agree wholeheartedly with the review "Misleading Description" Jan 16, 08. I am only sorry I didn't read it before I booked. I asked for a quiet room - what a joke - it was on George Street, the windows were not double glazed, and the street noise was so loud I had to have the volume on the TV almost at the maximum to be able to hear it. I could not sleep, even with earplugs. Below is an irish pub surrounded by 'adult shops'. The building's interior was extremely shabby, with chipped paint, no bedside table or lamp, old worn carpet. I had to pay to have my luggage kept while waiting for my room to be ready. I imagine that Backpacker hostels have better facilities - I would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Megan08
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2008

The quality of service that we received during our stay was nowhere near what I would expect from a boutique hotel. In fact, it was below the standard of many hostels that I've stayed in around the world.

There were three issues that created problems during our stay, all of which were not resolved when addressed with the hotel manager when informed.

First, upon arrival to our room, the air conditioning had not been functioning. Upon informing the staff at reception, they said they'd look into it. Twenty minutes passed, and nothing had been done. When we went in person to the front desk to follow up, the staff member had stated she simply "forgot."

About an hour or so later, after getting into bed, we heard the sound of the electronic deadbolt opening. The same reception staff member had let a complete stranger into the room - when realising he was in the wrong room he quickly left. I immediately called the front desk to enquire about why our room door was unlocked for a stranger, the staff member informed me that she had been walking down the hall when the person in question was standing in front of our door stating he didnt have his key and needing to get into the room. Instead of verifying at the front desk, they simply let him in. This created a serious concern for me about how much the hotel staff and management value the safety of their guests and their belongings. What would have happened had we not been in our rooms? The individual would have had access to all our belongings.

Finally, when we had checked in, we had requested a wake up call to catch our airport shuttle bus. Luckily we also set our alarms on our mobile phones, since the front desk staff called half an hour late with the wake up call, stating they were "Running late."

All these instances take the experience beyond being able to be attributed to simple human error, but to serious management issues and resulted in unacceptable levels of customer service.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pensione_Hotel, Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, April 6, 2008
Upon reading the above feedback regarding your stay with us at Pensione Hotel – Sydney, it was a shame to hear that this guest felt the issues weren't dealt with to a satisfactory level. Whilst speaking with the guest regarding the problems raised, I apologised for the disruption to your stay and accepted there were issues which should not have occurred.

With regards to the Air-conditioning issue; unfortunately from time to time, these problems can arise. The issue was investigated as soon as Reception was made aware of the problems, and I can assure the problem was being rectified – however, due to the need to check other systems, it did take a short time to return the service to normal. The mistake was to forget to phone the guest and inform them the problem was being rectified. The Air-conditioning was returned to normal service within 30 minutes of being made aware of the problem.

In my staffs quest to aid and assist our guests, she made an error in allowing access to a room which was occupied by another guest. The staff member was with the other guest at all times and upon immediately realising her error, she took the guest back to the reception desk to check his details. I can assure you that we do truly value the safety of our guests and their belongings and apologise that in an attempt to help this guest, such an error was made.

The request for the wake-up call was placed upon your arrival; and I accept there was a problem with you receiving this call at your specified time. However had this resulted in missing the Airport Shuttle that morning, We would have assisted with an alternative option at a cost borne by us to ensure the airport was reached in time.

We do pride ourselves on our personalised service and resolutions to any guests concerns. I would have loved the opportunity to further discuss these problems and come to a reasonable solution.

If ever there are problems that interfere with a guests enjoyment of our property necessary steps are taken to deal with these concerns.