“Ok for a short stay in Sydney”

Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
Ranked #59 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Brisbane, Australia
“Ok for a short stay in Sydney”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed two nights whilst in town for Lions / Wallabies game. Good helpful staff, room size ok, bathroom fine, no view only very close building. Situated in a grubby part of Sydney, near Chinatown, close to Central station. Had to pay $150 per night but considering the other ridiculous prices asked by other hotels for this weekend, had no choice - worth no more than $100 per night. Stairs from lobby to caption area are carpeted in very worn, tired carpet - sets the mood of the hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
PensioneSydney, Front Office Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear champers103

We love that you found our staff to be helpful and your stay was comfortable. I hope you enjoyed the Lions/Wallabies match and had an enjoyable evening. It was certainly a busy period for us!

As you mentioned, accommodation during these special event periods can fluctuate and I am pleased we were able to accommodate you during this time. I am also delighted to advise that we are currently in the process of having the carpets replaced in the reception/lobby area. This should certainly assist in brightening those first impressions.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and I hope we can welcome you back to Pensione Sydney in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel was very reasonable, for Sydney, and in a very handy location for travelling to all sorts of places.
The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, where they could be.
The room itself (a small double) was basic, but clean, but suffered from windows overlooking very noisy streets and a noodle cafe down below.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the higher floors to counteract the street noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear PDrought,

Thank you for your review!

It is always lovely to hear that our team have assisted in making your stay a pleasurable one. Our location is certainly very convenient and is one of the many reasons our guests return to us time and time again.

We also cater to a diverse selection of room types ranging from our cosy Petite rooms to through to larger Family style accommodation. We love to see a familiar face and should you be travelling to Sydney again, please feel free to contact us directly so we can ensure we provide you with the best possible choice of room to suit your all your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I hardly ever complain but feel the need to write a review to warn others. This hotel is over priced. The rooms are cold, dark and depressing. The noise from outside didn't bother me too much as I would expect this from a hotel with central location (one thing it does have going for it!) but we were given rooms outside reception (rooms 108 and 109) and people may as well have been in the room with us. I was woken at around 6am every morning. It did feel very much like a glorified hostel which would be fine if this was reflected by the price. I would like to say however that the young lad who worked on reception was very friendly and helpful. I feel he is wasted in this place.

• Stayed June 2013
Pensione_Hotel, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Annahewison,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that your previous stay with us did not live up to expectation and high standards that we have here at the Pensione Hotel Sydney.

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused in relation to the rooms in which you stayed in and the noise that came from the reception area. I understand the frustration you had whilst staying with us in regards to the location of your room thus the noise of a morning. We do have rooms on high floors or away from the reception area and I am sure if the team had been made aware of your concerns, they would have been more than happy to try and accommodate your needs.

I am glad to hear however that one of the friendly front desk team members made your stay that bit more enjoyable and your kind words have certainly been passed on. If you would like to contact me directly to discuss any of these issues further please do not hesitate on sydney@pensione.com.au.

Warm Regards
Joanne
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The three things this place has going for it are the location, a fairly interesting rustic building and one nice staff member. The "queen bed" (in our "deluxe" room) was two single beds not even zipped together so there was a huge dip in the middle of the bed, which comes with complimentary stains on the doona cover.

The window was painted shut so the room gets very stuffy without using the AC.

The shower is designed to flood the bathroom floor which becomes very dangerous if you wish to use the toilet for example.

In my opinion, not worth the money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PensioneSydney, Front Office Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Beatthemeatles,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about the Pensione Hotel Sydney. I am very sorry to hear that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the housekeeping concerns regarding your room this is certainly not to the standard we strive to achieve. Had we of been aware of your discomfort our friendly team of staff would have been more than happy to assist in relocating you to an alternate room.

I am pleased to hear that there were several aspects that you also enjoyed during your stay and we would love the opportunity for you to return to us, allowing us to provide you with a better experience and ensuring that all of your expectations are met.

If you would like to come back to us I would be most grateful if you could contact me directly to allow me to ensure you receive the best available rate and that you are well looked after.

Warm regards
Heidi
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I only spent 1 night but the location is perfect. You are 5 minutes walk to Central station and directly behind the hotel is Chinatown, which has plenty of good restaurants at reasonable prices.

The room was clean and comfortable. Even though my room faced busy George street, the windows were soundproofed so I couldn't hear the traffic below.

I liked that it was easy to walk to many places directly from the hotel. My only complaint is that wifi is not free.

• Stayed May 2013
PensioneSydney, Front Office Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Sumank,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review!

I agree that our location is second to none as our proximity too many places in the city such as Darling Harbour, Pitt Street Mall and even public transport is extremely handy! I am also thrilled to hear that your room was clean and comfortable and although facing George Street our double glazed windows provided you with peace and quiet for a relaxing stay.

We do have several package options available to all guests, some of which included complimentary internet access. Please feel free next time you are travelling to Sydney to contact us directly and one of our friendly staff can assist in providing you with the best possible options to suit your needs.

Again, thank you so much for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back in again.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

What a funky, friendly and fantastic little hotel in the centre of town. The staff were so friendly & helpful. Very clean rooms with a very comfortable bed and awesome shower all for a great nightly rate. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kim B
PensioneSydney, Front Office Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Kim B,

What a delightful Review!

It is always wonderful to hear our guests appreciate as much as we do our little gem in the heart of the City. We certainly pride ourselves on our unique presence and handy location. I agree that our micro cloud mattress toppers provide the perfect nights sleep and our relaxing rainshowers compliment a very comfortable stay. Thank you so much for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
San Clemente,California
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hotel was a big disappointment,unfortunately.
I have expect a 4 star hotel.Especially if you pay 150 AUD a night.
Breakfast ......................you have to pay extra
Wi-Fi............................. you have to pay extra
To pay by credit card.....you have to pay extra
Extremely small rooms,quite ugly bathroom shared with WC together.Not a romantic one.Rooms are noisy.You can hear every word from next door.
I dont want just complain,but I could not find anything positive.Maybe the staff of reception were quite helpfull with a city map,which was for free (at least).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank havefun09
Pensione_Hotel, Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear havefun09,

Thank you for your review.

I am very disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us.

Unfortunately we do not have a restaurant onsite, however we offer our guests a continental breakfast box and the use of the onsite Guest Lounge. We understand that this may not appeal to all of our guests and therefore like to suggest some of our favourite city cafés/restaurants that this beautiful city she has to offer.

I would love the opportunity to welcome you back to the Pensione Hotel Sydney in one of our Deluxe Double Rooms that are on the 3rd and 4th floor as they are larger in size, have a work desk, rain shower and come with complimentary Wi-Fi with a more modern décor. I feel you would have been much happier in one of these rooms instead of the Standard Petite Room you reserved.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on sydney@pensione.com.au should you be returning to Sydney so I can ensure your next stay is perfect!