1831 Boutique Hotel
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney(Sydney)
$191
$202
$182
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
The Grace Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$125
$118
Travelocity
1,409 results
All reviewsguest loungegeorge streetgreat locationdarling harbourcentral stationtriple roomcapitol theatresmall roomfirst floorrain showerclose to china townpaddy's marketlight railfree busfamily roomair conditionerstreet noise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Pensione Hotel Sydney is very well located, our room was tidy and our bed very comfortable. There was no bedbugs which warms my heart, especially in a hotel in Sydney.
Staff was extremely nice and helpful, we even got an early check in which was awesome after a long overnight flight.
I would definately stay in Hotel Pensione again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Viivi K
PensioneSydney, Front Office Manager at 1831 Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Viiki K,

What a wonderful review!

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and had a great nights sleep!

Our staff is always thrilled to receive positive comments in regards to their service. Do not hesitate to contact us directly next time you are in Sydney as we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This hotel is well located, clean and comfortable. The concierge/check in was efficient, if a bit cold and unfriendly. We were pleasantly surprised by the room (petite standard double) as it was not as small as we feared. The bed was comfortable and the rain shower head brilliant! I was going to book again but this room generally sells for twice what we paid (we paid $85 and it usually goes for $170). I think that is usual for a hotel room in Sydney now, but in future I'd rather go to the Railway Square YHA which is much cheaper, friendlier and has excellent doubles with ensuites ($130).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
PensioneSydney, Manager at 1831 Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear rebecca g

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Pensione Hotel Sydney!

We are thrilled that we exceeded your expectations with our Standard Petite room. Pensione Hotel Sydney aims to accommodate guests from all walks of life, and many guests enjoy the cosiness of our Standard Petite Rooms. Like you have mentioned, our Petite rooms still have all the luxuries that our other room types have, like an invigorating rain shower, and soothing micro-cloud mattress topper.

Next time you stay with us, we would like offer you a complimentary upgrade into a DELUXE Petite room. These cosy rooms are just as comfortable as the Standard Petite’s, but feature a working desk, in-room safe, free wifi, and updated décor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Pensione Hotel Sydney in the near future, and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

'Petite' was the description, but it's a lot bigger than some I've stayed in worldwide. After a very long flight and walking into the record high temperature afternoon in Sydney, I was prepared to welcome anything. This room was compact, but everything required was there. And the BED was the most comfortable I've experienced in a very long time. Room is airconditioned, with temperature control in-room. The ancient lift is dreadfully slow, but stairs are nearby.
Staff are polite and mostly helpful. The room is clean, bathroom well appointed and spotless.
The location is excellent, a quick walk to Darling Harbour or Chinatown. 10 mins walk to Central Station.

Room Tip: 'Petite' rooms are perfectly comfortable.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank muddy19
Pensione_Hotel, Front Office Manager at 1831 Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Muddy19,

Thanks for your lovely review!

I'm thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of the Mircocloud mattress toppers we have in our petite rooms, the feedback has been excellent!
We always love to see familiar faces and hope to see you in Sydney again soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Staying in accommodation is such a tricky beast as so many factors are in play. It could have been better, but that being said when we stayed we got value for money in a great location.

Firstly, the signage for the Pensione on George Street is dismal. It's small and near impossible to easily spot when you're driving by, couple that with Sydney's penchant for one way and you'll be memorising the streets in no time.

The hotel does not have parking, but you can park in the Capitol carpark on Campbell Street across the road for around $30 (I believe it's for 24 hours. We were there on a Saturday and paid an extra $15 to keep it parked there for Sunday.). Close by and easy access but extremely tight parking, and quite busy.

The hotel reception photo on the website is a lot lighter than what it actually looks like in the hotel. The quaint and aged feel didn't really bother me, but I do think it would be in their best interests to fix the lighting as it does make for a dim atmosphere on arrival. It was overcast when we were in Sydney so that didn't help at all with small entrance and lift or slim stairwell to go upstairs to reception. The elevator does get very hot and stuffy.

Check in was relatively painless but I do admit to being not quite sure about the male receptionist. He was well presented and looked nice but his lackadaisical attitude made me feel as though he had much better things to do than be working at a hotel reception.

Four of us shared a room that was just one flight up and first on the right (may have been 211), which was a double I believe and a bunk. Room was small but not cramped. There was enough floor space, a cupboard with hangers and mounted flatscreen television. The bathroom and shower was a decent size as well. Not so small that you'd knock everything moving around. Everything was quite clean, the bed sheets were a brilliant white. I found the bed comfortable, a little softer than what I'm used to sleeping on but fine anyhow.

The only other aspect that stood out was after settling in and deciding to have a nap there was false fire alarm, but other than that the rest of the stay was uneventful and fuss free.

I do have to commend the staff on check out, they were upbeat, professional, smiling—a stark contrast to check in.

I would definitely consider staying again. I liked the value, location and the easy access to the train station and short walk to Liverpool Street which takes you past the Chinese Garden of Friendship and Darling Harbour.

One tip: There are probably plenty of toilet facilities in Darling Harbour but the ones in the carpark in Darling Quarter were immaculate (as we parked there first being in Sydney well before check in time).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AvidTravelling

Dear AvidTravelling,

What a great review!

You certainly seemed to have enjoyed your stay with us at the Pensione.

I must admit I am quite surprised to hear your comments about the team member on check in as we usually receive nothing but compliments, however glad to see that you noticed the warm and friendly personalities of those on your departure.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience you may have faced in relation to the fire alarm. Luckily this was a false alarm and nobody was injured, so i thank you for your patience and understanding while we investigated the cause of the alarm.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly next time you are in Sydney as we would love to welcome you back

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The hotel is located in downtown Sydney near Darling harbour and the ferries. A perfect location for exploring Syney. The hotel is situated in an old building with historic value. The staff is very friendly but there were no facilities for luggage transport. Quite a challenge with all the different levels and stairs. The management promised to look for a solution and reacted adeqate to the evaluation form. Cleaning the room and sanitairy facilities must be improved. Other guests also complained about that.

Room Tip: Lots of (small) stairs. Ask for assistance at the reception to transport your luggage. There is an entrance at the back side of the hotel through the Charlie Chans bar.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HansBonsen
Pensione_Hotel, Manager at 1831 Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear HansBonsen,

Thank you for your review!

I am so pleased to see you were able to make use of the Pensione's great location while you were in city, we are just moments away from the many attractions Sydney has to offer.

Along with our great location does come the heritage listed building as you so rightly mention to which we are extremely proud to be a part of, however we do apologise that due to the building outlay and the corridors that have 3-4 stairs on them can cause an inconvenience when locating your room, however our staff are always more than happy to offer assistance where possible to ensure this does not impact on your stay with us.

We appreciate you bringing these matters to our immediate attention as we love nothing more than to hear about our valued guests experiences as it helps us develop and modify our levels of standards.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly next time you are in Sydney so we can ensure you second stay is perfect!