“The only good thing is the location”

Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
Ranked #69 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Checked in around 4pm, the reception gave us the keys to the room only to find out there were already another guests in the room. Shocking!

Went down with our lugagges to the receptionist on level 1 to confirm again. Receptionist finally gave us the correct room. went to the room, found the air con did not work properly, tv remote is nowhere to be found and have to call again to ask for the tv remote.

At night time we decided to explore the city and went back to the hotel around 12am, the hotel was locked and we have no idea how to open it as they didnt give us any info when we first check in. Lucky we came back with our friend who stayed in the same hotel and she got the passcode to go in.

We told all of these dramas to the receptionist the next day and she did apologies and told us that they would not charge us for the fiji mineral water ($4.50) we had the night before. However in the afternoon we received the email from the hotel that they will charge the water into our credit card. I mean, i dont really mind paying for the water we had as i didnt expect them to give us free water in the first place, but dont tell us its a complimentary and then sent us email to charge $4.50 into the credit card. Ridiculous.

As my title review, the only good thing about staying in this hotel is the good location.

We are definately not coming back.

• Stayed: January 2013
PensioneSydney, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Tikacj,

I am extremely disappointed to read your comments regarding your recent stay at the Pensione Hotel Sydney.

It is our aim to ensure that all of our guests leave the hotel feeling satisfied and having enjoyed their time with us. I regret that you did not receive this same experience as so many of our other regular guests.

As part of our welcome to the hotel it is protocol to advise all guests of the code for the front door to ensure that you have all of the information necessary whilst staying with us as it is not our intention to cause you inconvenience or delay on entering the property. The door is locked to provide our guests with the comfort of knowing they are secure and also has an intercom should you have any issues with entering that connects directly to our 24 hour reception desk and I sincerely apologise that this was not conveyed to you at the time of arrival.

Our customer service is normally of a very high level and one of the many reasons so many guests come back to visit us and it saddens me that this was not the case during your visit.

I understand that you say you would not return to us but we would love to welcome you again and provide you with the same level of standards so many others have been accustomed to over the years and should you wish to do so please contact myself directly at the hotel as I can assure you your experience certainly was not the norm.

Again please accept my sincere apologies

Joanne

Write a ReviewReviews (1,406)

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have stayed here before and be in no doubt - this is back-packer zone.
Sure it is in a handy location, but that's about it. The whole place is in dire need of a renovation...or a thorough clean.
In the few shorts days we stayed, our sheets were not changed. The cups were not cleaned and replaced either. How can you clean a room and not notice ?!
I ain't a prude and have stayed in dorms to palaces, but how's about a little more work on the cleaniness ? Is it so difficult to check on whether your cleaning staff are actually doing their work ? Pride people. Another thing is their lack of security. Haymarket and George Street have crime and homeless people all about. After the doors lock at 10pm you are given a code to enter the hotel. The night I tried this I was accosted by two homeless men sitting on their steps and begging for change. Another night some strangers followed me into the hotel. I enquired about whether thet were guests and copped an agressive reply. Do I need that kinda grief ? It really is hotel management responsibility and not a guest's role to deal with these things, right ?!
Actually it reminds me of of older pub-style accomodation like St Kilda's Prince of wales in the 80's - and that is not a compliment. Consider booking your vacation to Sydney earlier - pay a little more money and stay some place clean like the nearby Mercure.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Jeff W,

I would like to thank you for bringing your recent experience of the hotel to our immediate attention and to those looking to travel to the area. After reading the above comments, I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for your stay falling short of expectations and the discomfort you received in regards to accessing the building and the cleanliness of your room.

The front doors do lock at 7pm each night to ensure that persons not staying in the hotel do not gain access offering guest safety, however there is also an intercom on the door connected to our 24hr reception team should you need assistance or arriving after this time. Our guests are extremely important to us and we do strive to ensure that everyone who stays with us has a pleasant experience and I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet this. The other patrons that followed you into the hotel may have been guests, and I am very sorry if they offended you in any way, it is definitely not the norm for people to enter the building with bad intentions as we ensure that only our guests know the combination number, which is changed regularly.

It is a shame that an isolated incident such as this spoilt your stay with us at the Pensione Hotel, as we really do work hard to see each of our guests leave having enjoyed every moment they stayed with us.

We would also like to apologise for not meeting your expectations with our housekeeping service. We do pride ourselves on the level of service and cleanliness, so it is extremely disappointing to read your review. I would like to assure you that the issues raised by your comments have raised great concern for us and have been discussed immediately with the Housekeeping Supervisor to ensure that this does not happen in the future.

Once again, we apologise for not meeting your expectations, and we do hope that this does not deter you from coming back to see us in the again soon as this is certainly not the norm and we love to welcome guests back again and again. Should you wish to do so please contact us directly to allow us to confirm all booking details to suit your requirements.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We booked a double room for a three night stay in Sydney. The room was very small with no view at all. It did however, have a very large modern bathroom. The room was equipped with a TV and tea and coffee making facilities. However, due to the size of the room we didn't want to spend that much time in there.
The staff were very friendly.
The price is very good for a CBD hotel just be prepared for the basic facilities.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Culky
PensioneSydney, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Culky,

Thank you for staying at the Pensione Hotel Sydney, and for your valued review.

The hotel as you quite rightly mention has a variety of rooms starting from the Standard Petite which are slightly smaller in size offering those on their travels a great CBD location at affordable prices with all the essential facilties required when away from home.

We would always advise when talking to us directly that if you are staying more than one night, we strongly recommend one of our more spacious Standard Double, or even Standard Triple rooms allowing you to spread out that bit more and enjoy the extra comfort.

Also our friendly staff are always happy to assist where possible in offering upgrades or allocating rooms on the other side of the building offering an alternate view if what you have reserved does not meet with your requirements, enabling you to relax and enjoy your stay with us.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts, and we hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Joanne.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Originally booked at the Claremont but then found the Pensione for only $10/nght more on lastminutedeals.com.. It was worth it. It's centrally located; a walk to aquarium, Federation Square..........you name it! Desks clerks were superb; they answered questions, arranged internet, even booked reservations. Yes, the rooms are small, but they are clean, the beds are comfortable, and you have not only a private bathroom but a phone as well as a small refrigerator in your room.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear Pentwater-Summ,

We are very pleased to hear that you decided to stay with us at the Pensione Hotel! You are right in saying that we are centrally located, with many attractions just minutes away from our doorstep.

Im also pleased to hear that you were treated well by our 24-hour reception team, who are always there to answer any questions, arrange tours, supply internet and much more to assit you on your travels.

The Standard Petite Rooms are slightly smaller in size due to us occupying a heritage listed building part of Sydney culture to which we are extremely proud of and glad that you also enjoyed this aspect. We do however have a variety of rooms ranging from the Petite to Deluxe Double that provide those wanting to stay for longer and spread out that bit more space, maybe you could try one of these next time you visit!

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts on the Pensione Hotel Sydney, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed there 4 nights early in December 2012 in a triple room. If you are looking for a 5 star luxury hotel with restaurants and bars........look for another hotel. If you are looking for a standard hotel with an exceptional friendly staff then go for this hotel. The room we had booked was nice and clean and equipped as a standard room. The location cannot be better.....close to the Central and close to all attractions. If you want value for the money we can highly recommend this hotel. Will stay there next time we are coming to Sydney.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Pensione_Hotel, Front Office Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Dear Kell P,

Thank you for such a positive review, it certainly sounds like you enjoyed your stay with us!

Like you have mentioned, we are not a 5 star hotel, yet we pride ourselves on giving 5 star service so I'm glad you were happy with your our rooms, which are always clean and comfortable to sleep in.

Next time you wish to stay, just give us a call and we will arrange a complimentary upgrade to our Deluxe Double room, which I'm sure you will love.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Pensione Hotel Sydney!

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I have stayed at several Hotels in the area and I can honestly say that this would have to the best value for money!
I stayed on Friday night 7 Dec 2012 in a Deluxe Double room for around $165 (all up) and I was really surprised when I walked into my room,I was right on George st and I thought 'noise'!!
But there was hardly any sound, they had placed a perspex cover over the window , which had a sound proof effect , while one could still enjoy a view.

It was clean and everything I needed. My accommodation included a pass to Fitness First ( i think that was the gym) and I had free internet..bonus!!

I don't know if there was any restaurant but there was heaps of places to eat,,,there was Pub down from the Hotel around 70M which had steak, salad and chips for $10! Bargin!!

The great thing I was so stocked with,was in the morning. I slept in! It was so quiet and the drapes I had pulled over the windows the night before , was nearly a black out.Bliss!!lol
It was the only hotel i have stayed in that had a black out and so quiet!

When I checked out, there was around 8 people standing at the counter and this young guy,(which was also there when I checked in) just handled everyone so well. One tends to notice things ,when someone is behind the desk and has great communication skills and gets to you allot quicker than you anticipate . Well done mate!

Room Tip: If you are single the Deluxe Double room is the go and would be great for a couple...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Pensione_Hotel, Front Office Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear Geoff L,

Thank you so much for your amazing review!! It is a misconception that the rooms facing George Street do get a lot of noise. However with your room being on the third floor and having that double glazing, it did allow for you to have a good night’s sleep.

I’m thrilled to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and that you were pleased with our service as it is one thing we are very proud of here at the Pensione.

Should you be travelling to Sydney again, please do not hesitate to contact us, we love familiar faces!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I recently booked the Standard Triple room at Pensione hotel for 1 night. I read some reviews and was not expecting a lot but it was cheap, location was decent and looked clean in the pictures. Not that close to train stations. you may need to walk about 10-15 mins but the bus stop is just right outside which is convenient.

Upon arrival i was greeted with a happy hotel receptionist, very friendly, informative and provided excellent service. After some discussion I was upgraded to the family room for FREE which was a big bonus. I walked into the room and it was big with 1 bunk and 2 doubles. The place was nice and clean just as it looked in the pictures. The only down fall would be the shower which was quite standard. but for the price i wasn't complaining. AC worked excellent. had no problems like other reviews. Beds and blankets were comfortable but pillows lack fluffiness.

Overall, it exceeded my expectations. I would stay here again. Thanks for the great experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear William O

Thank you so much for your lovely review!

I am so happy to hear that your experience went above and beyond expectation, and that you took advantage of our convenient location.

Service is one thing we pride ourselves on within the team, and I am glad to hear that we pleasantly surprised you with a complimentary upgrade to our spacious Family room. We are also happy to hear that you found the room clean and comfortable, and at an affordable price.

We do hope to see you again in the near future!