“Fantastic location, lovely staff, lovely place to stay.”

Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
Ranked #59 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Dublin, Ireland
“Fantastic location, lovely staff, lovely place to stay.”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed for five nights in the Pensione. It is spotlessly clean and has really comfortable beds. Despite its CBD location, double glazing ensured that I had a good night's sleep each night.
The deluxe rooms are small, but they are packed with amenities and facilities - iron and ironing board, tea making facilities, TV, rainforest shower and even a fridge, which was a welcome addition.

A small staff error meant I had to be checked in a second time, but this was taken care of with good grace and humour and in no way affected my enjoyment of my stay. The guest area with its adjacent laundry facilities are very good.

There are many places to eat nearby as it is on the edge of Chinatown. Paddy's Market is close by and worth going to, if only for a one-time experience.

The free circular route bus stops outside the door. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Pensione_Hotel, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Newgrange,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at the Pensione Hotel Sydney.

While we are a small hotel here, we take extreme pride in the cleanliness our wonderful housekeepers provide. They are such a vital part of our team and we love to see our guests appreciate their work as much as we do.

I do apologise for any miscommunication that may have occurred in relation to your reservation, I'm pleased to see the reception staff were able to handle the situation effectively and professionally.

Again, thank you for you review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pensione again soon, so please feel free to contact us next time you are in Sydney.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We found this little hotel very adequate for our brief stay. We werent in the room much so didnt need luxury. I know some of the reviews say you can hear noise but we heard nothing and our room overlooked George St. It was a brisk walk on Sunday morning to Surrey Hills and a delicious breakfast!

1 Thank Kellie I
Pensione_Hotel, Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear KellieK21,

Thank you so much for your lovely review!

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, our central location makes getting breakfast easy and I’m glad to see our guests branching out! Please do not hesitate to contact us next time you are in Sydney so we can to get the details of the café and try it out!
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Good value hotel, clean and very good staff.
I'd suggest to stay here if you want to stay in the city centre and save money but there could be nicer locations of the city where to stay.
Some noise during the night in the weekend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Pensione_Hotel, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Filippobull,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I would like to apologise for any disruption you faced during your stay. Our bustling city location is certainly a bonus for our guests, however on the weekends this may lead to a little extra noise, and I am sure reception would have found a solution for you, once made aware of any inconvenience.

I am very glad to see you enjoyed your time with us and hope you will return in the future so please do not hesitate to contact us next time you are visiting Sydney.
Manildra, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The room was small for the 6 people in it, but that didn't matter. As there were no chairs, we sat on our beds.The room was clean and the bedding crsip, clean and comfortable. The staff were well presented, polite and helpful. Right on George Street, there were lots of options close by for dining and it was only a short walk from Central Station and Darling Harbour. My only complaint was that we couldn't open a window for fresh air and the aircon seemed to be preset so we couldn't change the room temp.
I'd highly recommend this place is you want clean, slightly funky, tastefully decorated budget hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bron R
Dear Bron R,

Thanks for your review!

I am thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay with us and able to make use of our central location. As we only have 2 family rooms in the hotel, both of them face George Street and their windows have been double glazed to prevent the traffic noise. I do apologise you were not able to work the air conditioner, while you have control over the temperature only our reception team can change the air from hot to cold or vice versa.

It's great to see the staff you encountered were "well presented, polite and helpful" as service is an essential part of the 8Hotels culture. We are continually looking for ways to help our guests and I'm pleased this was the case.

Pensione Sydney does have several different room types available, including our Deluxe Double Rooms and perhaps one of these would be more suitable next time you want to get away to Sydney. While they do not accommodate for 6 people in the 1 room like the Family, they are on the 3rd or 4th floor with stunning rain showers, LCD TV's, and a work desk with chairs.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you wish to return to Sydney.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed in the Premium Triple room, obviously for 3 people. The thing I liked about it is that there was no extra guest charge, and the 3rd person slept in a proper bed (rather than a sofabed as most other establishments do).

Pros :
Clean - No issues with the cleanliness
Location - Right in the heart of china town, within walking distance of Darling Harbour and Paddy's Market.
Cheap-ish - We paid about AUD160 per night for 3 people which was very reasonable.

Cons :
Location - It can get noisy
No view - Unless the view of a carpark is considered a view The windows are opaque for this reason and opens halfway.
Too many steps! We had to traverse 3 sets of steps within a floor to get to our room which is okay for an able bodied person, but not so fun for someone not so lucky.

Overall:
Good hotel to stay in if you are spending most of your time out of the hotel. No facilities (i.e pool/gym) but there was a common kitchenette if you feel inclined to cook during your stay (really?)

Room Tip: Higher floors away from the hustle and bustle of the streets if you want a quiet night's sleep
Dear Cr8tive83,

Thank you for your review.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience you may have faced during your stay with us. As you mention our bustling city location is a great advantage however this can hinder your view of the city and certainly lead to a bit of extra noise, particularly on the weekends. Perhaps on your next stay you can request one of our rooms facing George street as these rooms have been double glazed to prevent the traffic noise.

Our Deluxe Triple Rooms are on the third floor and are accessible by either of the property's 2 lifts. Upon check in, directions to your room using the least amount of stairs is normally provided and if this was not the case I am very sorry.

It may interest you to know that all of our guests have complimentary access to the Fitness First Gym located in the Galleries Victoria and the team at reception are always more than happy to point you in the right direction.

I'm pleased to see you enjoyed our Guest lounge during your stay as so many other guests before you. Purchasing food from the supermarket close by and preparing your breakfast before your day of exploring is an economical way for our guests to enjoy a healthy breakfast without having to eat out every day.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you be returning to Sydney.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Overpriced mid-town hotel. I am sure you can do better in this part of Sydney. Look just a little off Gorge St. and more south. It is noisy area with Chinatown to the east. Location was good but I made poor decision with this one.

Dear MaciejK,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am very sorry if we did not meet your expectations on your recent stay with us. One of our many great features is our heritage listed building and as such our unique room types and sizes. Perhaps you would like to stay in one of our Deluxe Double rooms as these are larger in size and are on the higher floors with beautiful modern décor, LCD TVs and rain showers.

Please feel free to contact us at any time as I'm sure one of our friendly 24 hour reception team can help you find the right room for you on your next stay.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

This is a refurbished hotel. Clean, but do not expect fancy furniture. Staff performance is good but needs to work on speed of work. Amenities and cleanliness is what I expect. Room size is small. However it's in the downtown area, and that's a huge plus for this price

• Stayed August 2012
Pensione_Hotel, Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear missyavidtraveler25,

I'm so pleased to see you enjoyed your stay at the Pensione Hotel Sydney and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am very sorry that you did not find our team to be as efficient as you expected. Our guests satisfaction is our top priority and we always hope to go above and beyond for our guests, if this was not the case, I do apologise.

We would love to welcome you back to the Pensione Hotel, if you are returning to Sydney, please do not hesitate to contact us.