“Insulted!”

Bridge St Garage
Cuisines: American, Argentinean, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Located in the heart of Sydney's bustling Financial district, and only a short stroll from Circular Quay, Bridge St Garage Diner & Deli is a popular American hangout space for the coolest Sydney-siders. Delivering more than just affordable, moreish soul-food, it's a place where foodies can retreat from the hubbub of the city and get down with a seriously good burger, organic grass-fed steak or cocktail. Head Chef Oscar Gorosito's unique dining concept infuses Central American food favourites with Argentinian flair. Your food cravings will be serviced by the finest charcoal grilled meats, flavour-packed gourmet burgers, slow cooked melt-in-your-mouth brisket, New York style sandwiches and charcuterie boards from the deli, all finished off with an authentic American dessert. With the main bar entrance fronting Bridge Street, this quirky dining experience is guaranteed to get hearts pumping from the get go. Bridge St Garage is a dining experience that is not to be missed, offering affordable soul food accompanied by the best local craft beers, South American and Australian wines and cocktails to die for! Start your engines and get down to the Garage.
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We tried this new place for a typical friday it wasn't packed when we got our tables and ordered 3 appetisers and a bottle of wine. As we ordered our second courses the place literally full and we had to wait 45mins for the next one. The waitress apologised and offered us free drinks on the house for
waiting so long, and got us a bottle of wine. When we finished and asked for the bill they charged us full for the 2nd bottle so we inquired. Arguing with different waiter the manager came along explaining they already took $4 off on dessert and apologised! Thats adding insult to injury when the waitress was just sitting across the table sipping a glass of wine with the rest of the stuff watching us! Im never going back here and I dont recommend it!

1  Thank Shinoebi
There are newer reviews for Bridge St Garage

Reviewed May 16, 2014

It's disappointing to see other reviews where people have not had a good food experience at Garage. I went there with my Sister in Law on Wednesday night (May 2014) after looking at two other nearby restaurants (one was packed the other looked seedy) and I have to say we had a very nice, affordable meal with a good atmosphere.
I had a glass of NZ wine and a Scotch Fillet Steak with wedges and salad (the steak was $23 - VERY reasonable) and my SIL ordered a burger.
My steak was delicious and the sauce that came with it was not something I had had before, but also delicious and complimented the steak well.
The service was efficient, our waiter was not overly friendly (but not rude either) but the other staff were friendly.
The restaurant was an old garage and has been done up to look like a funky American garage setup - I really liked it. Overall the experience was very good and I would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Drinks were nice, service was slow and inattentive, food portions relatively small and terribly over salted. I wanted to be impressed, sadly won't be back

Reviewed May 7, 2014

A pulled pork sandwich should taste like pulled pork. It tasted like coleslaw, instead. That pretty much summed up the entirety of my lunch, food that didn't taste taste like it should.

And the coffee, while they source great coffee beans, was not made very well.

It's certainly not worth the price you pay, even if it is in the middle of the city.

I did like the atmosphere, though.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I really want to say I like this place, but I really like my money. It’s a terrible thing to say, but I really do. Obviously they like their money also, they have to pay the exorbitant rent some how. Unfortunately I think they’ve picked the wrong style of food to try and up the price on. Let’s take a closer look…

The Joint
It’s a cool funky diner with a garage look and feel to it. Exposed pipes, beams, unfinished walls and lighting works surprising well with a somewhat fancier version of a diner with murals on the wall. The seating is nice and tidy and offers a contrast to the dirty white of the unfinished walls. There was what looked like the chassis of a snow mobile on the ceiling, cool neon sign at the front door and little knick knacks strewn about.

The Service
The service was prompt and friendly as the customers starting rolling in for their Friday long lunches. It did seem like a little bit of a challenge as they insisted on seating everyone themselves, which involved looking on a laptop for a suitable free table and for a bar/diner that didn’t make much sense to me. The drinks order was taken quickly, as was the food order. The service did become a little bothersome as they asked 2 or 3 times while we were eating if we wanted more drinks. Otherwise the service was good.

The Food
MINI BURGER SLIDERS …23
The were presented nicely and did look delicious. It came with 2 different types – The Garage Burger and the Gaucho were served on a chopping board. Unfortunately the beef to bun ratio was way off. The beef was overdone and had turned into little meatballs rather than patties, it did have a have a nice flavour though. Ingredients were all fresh and the greenery on it was of good quality and not overused. The Garage Burger combination is tried and true, however the Gaucho tasted kind of like they had just put sweet chilli sauce on it. There was no hint of chimmichurri on it… It was okay, but nothing brilliant. The brioche buns were nice and lightly toasted to perfection.

The Chips which accompanied the sliders looked like they were made from baby potatoes and cut into quarters making them look like mini wedges. They were nicely seasoned with salt, pepper and a little thyme. They look crunchy in the pic, but they were still a little soft.

BBQ SEAFOOD PLATTER …38
One of my colleagues ordered this which included Tuna medallions, prawns, calamari and baby octopus which were seared on a charcoal grill. Served on a bed of green leaves with steamed potatoes seasoned with paprika, olive oil and sea salt. He was not overly fussed about the quality however did note that the serving size was not that big for a seafood platter. The price was probably a little rough for the amount of food on the plate.

CHORIPAN …17
This is apparently an Argentinian street food which they have served on a ciabatta roll with chimmichurri sauce and ailoli. The presentation was a little different and was again served with the mini wedges. My other colleague was happy with his selection and would not go any further than that. It looked quite nice and the description on the menu almost sold me.

The Verdict
Don’t go here if you’re expecting a normal diner or the prices attached with a diner. I think the bar and location side of things have influenced the pricing. They have definitely tried to give you a little something extra for the prices you’re paying but I think they chose the wrong style of food to do it with. I might have another crack at it when i’m ready to spend a little more money and I might checkout the fried chicken as it looks absolutely fantastic. Hmmm if you’re going to attach those prices to this kind of food, you better do a damn good job of it and ensure it’s perfect and consistent.

I really do want to like this place…