“Superb!”

Ranked #188 of 5,856 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Greek, Contemporary, Bar, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Alpha Restaurant offers an accessible Greek culinary experience in the heart of the Sydney CBD. Alpha comprises an artisan food emporium, cantina, meze bar, cafe and restaurant, bringing together a chic and welcoming set of spaces for drinking, dining and entertaining. It's traditional Greek cuisine with a contemporary twist.
Sydney, Australia
“Superb!”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was never a fan of Greek food until this place! Wonderful food and fabulous wine! The décor is fabulous.

Australia
“Yummy food but...”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We visited at the 830pm sitting on a Saturday. The place is beautifully decorated but a little echoey. I would have loved to have heard the Greek music that was on and I could only enjoy in the...bathrooms! I'd suggest an acoustics check as you have spent some money in there and I hope it all goes well for you. Tonkin and associates at Surry Hills are meant to be good for this sort of thing. It would be nice to feel the Greek ambience a bit more.

Anyway, as for the food, we decided to sample a couple of dishes I wouldn't typically order at a Greek restaurant. The lamb cutlets and soutzoukakia are superb! The vintage moussaka although the combination which was most atypical of a Greek moussaka (don't expect bechamel or potatoes here) was surprisingly tasty but comes as a cold dish (perhaps the waiters need to tell patrons this), and I found the eggplant a bit hard to bite into and the serving could have been bigger.

The snapper pie, although looked good and had good base ingredients - greek beans, other veg and Snapper, unfortunately was a little bit on the bland side. Something was a miss! Having tasted the legendary snapper pie from the Boathouse, I expected a little more - something was missing and this should be improved to make a great dish. The other sides eg Greek salad and dips were perfect.

The lemon gelato and quince was a highlight, a great way to finish off the evening.

I did read from other reviewers that they felt the food was rushed, I felt a little bit of this too, as soon as plates were empty, they were taken away too quickly and the next one thrown in front of us straight away. This could be slowed a little perhaps as the kinks are ironed out in a brand new restaurant. Lemoni is an asset to the business and our waitress (I think she was from NZ) was good also, but I did not get her name. There was a young Asian waiter too that took a dish away before the gigantes had been finished - perhaps train them to ask?

I would like to return though with friends and try the Yiayias table, and also for lunch with the family, it would be a different experience during the day. Thanks for a lovely experience.

Visited August 2013
Perth, Australia
“Will not disappoint”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The service is great - friendly, fast and knowledgeable. The food is outstanding, Greek cuisine with an Australian twist. Try the Spannakopitte (Spinache Pie) as a shared meal and you will see pies in a truly different light.

They have two sittings for dinner, the first shift of guests are dining 6-8, and the second 8-10pm. It is probably a good idea to book and arrive at 6pm to avoid waiting.

The noise level in the restaurant is a bit high, but we had a table close to the window where it was a tiny bit quitter and we got to enjoy the fire engines leaving from the fire station on the other side of the street.

Bundeena, Australia
“Amazing Greek food”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We turned up on Monday evening not thinking we would need a reservation. The place was packed, but we were lucky and after having a drink at the bar, a table become available. The food was cooked to perfection, must have been the best greek food I had in Sydney. The wait staff seemed to be under a bit of pressure and understaffed, but everyone worked together to pull the night off, without dinners noticing. We had a great night and will definitely come back as this place can only get better once they sorted out the few teething problems.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The waitresses sure don't "wait"”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Visited for the early sitting on a Friday evening - I agree the fit out is stunning, the noise levels a pleasant suprise and the food most acceptable. But I do expect to be given time to read the menu and not to have the entree finally arrive when the main courses are almost eaten. Admittedly the entree beat the dessert - but not by much. The staff are clearly under pressure to get the first sitting out in the minimum time - but at a $75 a head for food alone I expect a little more subtle an approach and the entree before the mains.