“Treat customers like idiots - club sandwich with 2 peiced of bread?” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Newington Cafe - CLOSED

The Newington Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe
Sydney, Australia
“Treat customers like idiots - club sandwich with 2 peiced of bread?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have taken clients to this café for MANY YEARS and always had excellent service and food. Went there today and I understand there are new owners.......

1. Ordered drinks from the menu 6 beers available - Crown Larger - no sorry available only 2 types of beer available

2. Ordered a Club Sandwich - got a toasted sandwich - explained to the wait staff what a club sandwich and how it has two layers separated by an additional slice of bread - and what they served me was not that......was told "oh, it comes with chips and with health issues now many placed sell them this way" WHAT, ARE YOU SERIOUS??????

3. Decided to ring when I arrived back to my office to speak with the owner or manager, lady answered the phone - gave me the owners names as "Joe or Rob" and asked me my name - I gave her my name - then waited - after a period of time I heard her say to Rob, "There is a weird guys on the phone who wouldn't tell me where he was from" - SHE NEVER ASKED ME.

4. Thinking "a weird guy is on the phone" and not knowing if I'm talking to Rob or Joe I asked, "may I ask who I'm speaking with" in an aggressive tone I get asked: "who are you and where are you from" - after giving my name and advising I was a customer I was informed I was speaking with Rob.

When I told him that the menu stated "Club Sandwich" and you're serving a "normal sandwich at Club Sandwich prices" he explained "oh, yes we need to talk to the chef about that" WHAT EXPERIENCED CHEF DOESN'T KNOW WHAT A CLUB SANDWICH IS?

Rob, did offer a refund, which I refused - I said when you have staff whom call customers "weird", try to tell me "this is the new healthy way of serving club sandwiches" and then the owner telling me "we need to tell the chef how to make one" DOESN'T SAY MUCH FOR THE FUTURE OF THIS PLACE.

AFTER YEARS - THIS PLACE IS ON THE STAY AWAY LIST