“Just perfect! ”

Ranked #620 of 6,144 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Glebe
Description: Ombretta is the creation of friends and business partners Niccolo Fagherazzi and Michael Schiavello. Niccolo and Michael met in Venice in 2005 over a Campari where the first conversations began in earnest already hatching ideas for bar or restaurant ventures. The common thread was the will to simulate an Italian experience, simply, honestly and faithfully. Several years later and thousands of kilometres away, an opportunity arose that brought them back together to continue the conversations and finally act on ideas to bring them to life. In one of the many conversations they distilled the projection of Ombretta in a few words: Fresh, Seasonal, Cucina Povera. These words go together naturally, therefore the objective was clear and they were immediately on the same page with the direction of the menu. The menu at Ombretta dictates the experience for diners and staff. When a chance meeting with chef Danilo Cerrettini occurred, it was clear that this was a match that could not have been planned more perfectly. Born, raised and trained in Rome, well travelled and experienced in many styles of cookery, Danilo's heart (and stomach) is heavily entrenched in fresh, seasonal cucina povera. Every recipe has a story, every story has a history and all this history is inextricably linked with tradition, culture and place. Most of this will be detailed in the cookbook everyone is waiting for from Ombretta.
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

This little beauty is just around the corner from my house.. I have been here 3 times and every time is just delicious! Very friendly staff, great wine selection and THAT Italian food!!! Menu is in Italian but staff is more than happy to explain every dish. Nice relaxing atmosphere will make your evening really enjoyable!

3  Thank Vikii5

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Visited this restaurant on Sunday, we were greeted by one of the owners he was very friendly and made us feel very welcome, we were seated quickly, water was bought and the menu explained, there is only a small menu but I think this is good because it means the menu is fresh and seasonal, I made a couple of requests outside the menu and it was not a problem, all the meals we ordered were very tasty, would definitely go here again

7  Thank Dianne L
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I'm loath to review Ombretta in case an influx of people fill up the shady courtyard at the front of the restaurant, an ideal setting to enjoy a good meal and a bottle of wine as the sun goes down. Ombretta has taken over a traditional Italian restaurant, and cleverly kept the old fashioned charm but greatly improved both the food and service. The menu is concise; three antipasto, three pastas, three mains and two/three deserts; and all good. It changes weekly. A word of warning, the pasta are all cooked al dente which is just as it should be for most of the pastas but may not suit all tastes.

5  Thank Stephen G
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at a great B&B for a few days in Glebe and after reading the reviews thought we would give this restaurant a try. Very glad we did. My wife is vegetarian so we asked for a vegetarian antipasto and it was so good I was envious, although my calamari entre was exceptional. Main was great as well, I loved my wagu beef, cooked to perfection! The waiter we had was fanatic, nothing was a hassle. If you get a chance yet this is a definite winner!

5  Thank Jdub44bc
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Just got back from some months in Asia and noticed that a new restaurant had opened up on the site of a former local Italian which back in the day was good but became very run down. Ombrétta has replaced it with some but not major renovations. I went with my son and family and secured a table for 4 as walking on a Saturday night on the promise the we surrender the table at 8pm. The staff were helpful and friendly and the service good. The food is Italian and ranges from antipasto, pastas, mains with an Italian vent and deserts. We had the antipasto to share,and mains comprising roast veal, a duck ragu, a steak and a fish. All were very good. I had sirloin steak, not my favourite, which was very good, cooked to order but rested a little too long so just warm. It was accompanied by a cherry tomato and parsley salad which was delicious. Prices were reasonable, mains averaged $25. The wine list was Italian and good with prices starting at $38 a bottle. All in all a good local Italian restaurant. I will be back but will book next time.

4  Thank Joe_Lynch_10