“Alysium Day Blahhhhhh at the Hilton Sydney” 2 of 5 bubbles

Alysium Day Spa
Ranked #16 of 82 Spas & Wellness in Sydney
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Alysium Day Blahhhhhh at the Hilton Sydney”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

I was very excited to take some time for myself today to have a treatment at Alysium Day Spa at the Hilton Sydney. However, my experience was nothing at all to be excited about.

Upon arrival, I had no idea where to go, as the "spa" is located in the adjacent building within a fitness club. After asking for directions, yes directions to the "spa", my excitement started to wear. I entered the fitness centre and had to sign in, walk through the gym, full of people working out and then to the back corner of what seemed like the basement to enter the "spa".

I was not impressed. White lounge covers draped over the seating, the worst selection of reading materials (out of date and stingy looking), limited space and a very un-relaxing vibe accompanied by random gym users walking by the windows of the "spa" peering in; not the experience I had in mind.

I was greeted upon arrival and asked if I would like a tea or water. I was then asked to complete some paperwork, during which the staff member at the desk decided that it was appropriate to ask another client, who was waiting, to explain her reason for checking off what sounded like an allergy to citrus fruits and oils....! This was completely un-professional and not appropriate. I could tell that the client felt uncomfortable having to explain her allergy in such an open, public space. It was very awkward.

The music playing at the spa was not at all relaxing; a lot of love songs, faster paced and really more suitable for a dinner or romantic setting.

After waiting for about 15 minutes, I finally met my therapist, who was friendly, and was shown where I would have my treatment. This would have been a much better time to be asked about the client paperwork, not out in the waiting area. There was't really a connection between client and therapist. It was just more like "here's the room, here's what I need you to do to get ready for your treatment". Then the door closed. Very basic, very disappointing.

The treatment itself was okay; not great, not bad. The room was very cold and lacked that spa feel and atmosphere; a couple of lit candles and some dim lighting doesn't really create an "oasis of well-being" or so it says on the website.

When I was finished I headed out to the front desk to be greeted by the same male staff member who plunked a glass of water on the desk in front of me and asked how my treatment was. As I was offering my reply, he interrupted me and wanted to inform me about payment options. Again, not a very "spa" like experience; more like "thanks for coming, pay us and here's the way out".

My overall experience today does not make me want to return or suggest this spa to friends, co-workers, family or visitors. For a "spa" that boasts phrases such as "our focus is on your overall wellbeing", " enjoy the many touches of luxury designed to help you fully unwind" and "the finest therapeutic treatments and products all designed with the individual in mind" it is definitely not living up to what it claims to be.

According to Greek Mythology "Elysium" (correct spelling) is a Paradise; something far from what I experienced today.

This is a business that claims it's name means the "place where the Gods Go To Rest", but it is really nothing more than a want-to-be spa that lacks professionalism, a relaxing atmosphere and it's client's best interests in mind.

8 Thank M C

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“bliss-ed out by this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I work in the city and have found it so hard to find a place to go to escape the daily grind. Alysium spa is just the most perfect place for this. It is inside the Hilton hotels gym area. You may use any of the Hiltons gym, pool, spa facilities on the day of your treatment. I have found every therapist I have come into contact with be warm and of a 5 star standard. It makes me happy to visit this spa and i feel comfortable and welcome here. Couldn't ask for more from an Urban Spa.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Hayleyshawmcguinness
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Nice spa”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

The Alysium Spa is a very nice facility and staff are very friendly. Thank you for the relaxing massage.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Natasha C
hong kong
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

You would expect that a day spa attached to a hotel like Hilton would be something special. It wasn't. It was worse than any beauty salon you would find in a shopping mall.

Firstly, the "spa" is attached to the Health club next to the Hilton. It is not even in the Hilton main building. To get to the spa, you have to enter the Health club/gym, walk past all the running machines and the smell of sweat overcomes you.

Next you find "Alysium spa". The door looks like the entrance to the bathroom. Inside was a tiny reception area. You are then greeted by an over-enthusiastic receptionist, who is obviously trying to make up for the bad reviews from below entries.

Now I have been looking forward to a nice girly catch up, relaxing day at the "day spa" with my girlfriend. Our voucher apparently entitled us to a 60 mins massage, and 15 minutes body scrub, as well as the swimming pool, sauna and steam room for the day.

My friend and I were then ushered into a couples room. The treatment room was very cold and despite me commenting about this a few times, nothing was done about it. I could not relax the entire time because it was so cold.

We were then told that the treatment is over and there were no instructions on what to do next. I looked up and saw that it was only around 65 minutes. We wondered where the body scrub was, and worked out that the "body scrub" was when they use a fork-like object to lightly scrub your limbs for a minute or two before starting the massage on that body part. WOW. Definitely different to all the proper body scrubs Ive had in other beauty salons.

We then worked out that using the swimming pool, sauna and steam room meant that we are sharing the facilities in the gym. We were not given any direction on where to go for this - we were just left in the treatment room by ourselves. When I poked my head out to ask for directions in my towel, there was no staff about, however, there was another customer, male, sitting in the reception area, who saw me and just kept staring. Uncomfortable.

In the end, I just took a quick shower in the treatment room (it really looked like a room in a private hospital with a tiny little shower) and got out of there.

Hilton - surely you don't want to be associated and dragged through the mud with absolutely sub-par service and facilities like this? When I book a day spa associated with a reputable hotel, I expect elegance, service and a relaxing experience. My time at Alysium Spa was definitely none of this.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank yolanderHK
Sydney
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Friendly service and relaxing atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I booked an hour massage with a Lime & Tonic voucher. The staff here are some of the most warm and welcoming in Sydney. The rooms are clean and inviting with a really relaxed atmosphere. I will definetly book again.

Visited September 2013