“Awesome”

Ranked #2,339 of 5,944 Restaurants in Sydney
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: The Cuban Place Restaurant in Sydney is recreating the vibrant heydays of 1950s Havana. Globally, our name is widely regarded as the original home of the Mojito Sebastian Escudero our Head Chef has created an enticing menu that features fresh Australian produce with an authentic latin flair. We have researched vintage Cuban cocktail menus from the last 60 years to develop our Cocktail List that features true classic Cuban cocktails. Our extensive rum collection features over 150 different varieties from such countries as Haiti, Guyana Jamaica and of course Cuba. We have authentic Cuban Jazz bands playing live 3 nights a week, with Cuban salsa dancing to accompany.
Auckland, New Zealand
“Awesome”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Excellent service, food and wine. We were felt very welcome by the staff, the barman seemed to go out of his way to make us comfortable and we had a very good time.

Visited April 2013
TheCubanPlace, Manager at The Cuban Place, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Cuban Place, i am glad to hear that our friendly staff went out of there way to be helpful, when you come again please feel free to ask them any questions you may have about Cocktails and Rum, what they dont know they will happily find out for you!

Sydney
“Average would would be a compliment”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Service was ok however food for the price was a rip-off and very poor quality
Set menu with a choice of three dishes for each entree , main and desert, on paper looked good.
Had the lamb in yogurt - maybe best described as shredded lamb Jerky. It was dry and resembled cardboard for taste and consistency.
Others at the table had steak - all noted fatty and full of grissle.
We were a small group of only 8 and had no choice but the set menu then got hit with a 10% service fee.
Downstairs bar looked exiting but already too packed out t o fit us in after dinner

• Visited May 2013
Thank you for your review, I am disappointed to hear of your overall poorly rated experience with us at The Cuban Place.
Let me start with the set menu, we offer four choices of entrée, main and dessert on our function menu and although not an extensive choice we do feel the menu is varied and is designed to cater for larger parties ensuring the Kitchen can cater for everyone’s needs and get them their dinner in a timely fashion. This menu is offered to groups of 10 or more and so I am sorry this was the only menu offered to your group of 8 on the evening. This should not have been the case.
I am sorry you feel the food was a rip off, I am confident that $49 for our two course meal or $59 for our 3 course meal is well priced within Sydney CBD. I will however pass on your comments about food quality to our chef and we will continue to be vigilant of quality.
With regards to the basement bar being packed, unfortunately if you visit us on a Friday or Saturday evening this is to be expected. We are an extremely popular live music and dancing venue I do however encourage our customers to head down and take a better look to see if you can find space to enjoy the unique vibe as sometimes it may appear from looking down into the space that there is no room when in actual fact the space goes round the corner also.
Sydney, Australia
“A Cuban adventure.”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I walked away feeling relaxed and satisfied. The atmosphere was perfect, I loved the dim lighting, waiters and waitresses in costume. I felt like I was in another country.

The drinks menu- Cuban style! Awesome. I had the real deal mojito- delicious!

I had a vego dish, I can't remember what it was but it was a baked dish- a crunchy layer on top with like a creamed corn then a layer of lentils and beans and a blob of sour cream. A side of Quinoa salad with Cuban bread-
Amazing. I had to eat it slowly to savor every bite. I washed it down with mojito!

• Visited April 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Nice looking bar, but bad expensive food.”
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

As a bar this place is not too bad. Slightly expensive, but for CBD acceptable. Bar service is slow however so be prepared to queue for drinks.

The food here is just bad. Not woeful, but the combination of small portions, often served cold, with basic flavours and high prices really isn't a winner. My advice is have a cocktail here if you like, but go almost anywhere else to eat.

TheCubanPlace, Manager at The Cuban Place, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I am really glad you liked the bar aspect and our Cocktail offerings here at The Cuban Place.

I am however sorry you experienced slow service; as a result we have increased our staff presence behind the bar on predicted busy periods. We understand that we are a popular CBD Restaurant and Bar and often on Friday and Saturday evenings you may experience a small wait for your drinks, however we aim to serve multiple customers at any one time in order to reduce the wait along with taking pride in making the best Mojitos in town whilst offering exceptional customer service.

With regards to your dining experience, I am sad to hear you would not recommend us, please be rest assured I have passed on your experience to our kitchen team and we endeavour to meet all our customers’ expectations. With a new menu set for the not so distant future we do hope you come back and give our restaurant another try.
“Bad customer service”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Very subjective and poor service quality. Went there with an Ouffer deal and straight forward they classify us as poor customer, sorry for them but we have money to spend but not with them. Nice place, with nice music, food not bad but nothing extra, sould be cheaper for the food, service +/-, but with Ouffer deal, the service is really poor. I will never eat there any more.