“Casual and fun”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Buzzing atmosphere, great service and very good value

Mexican food done well. They really hit the spot
Had a few sharing apps and mains and enjoyed every morsel

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great buzzy fun place. Absolutely great food. Fabulous Menu with many different and varied dishes to wet your appetite. The salsa made right at your table, everything served with flair. Loved it all. A little noisy if you want to converse, but you do go there to eat. Could not fault it...a must to try!!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Four of us went for dinner and drinks after work on a Friday night. We'd not seen each other for ages, so it was a great chance to catch up. The staff were really friendly, the m&g were taking bookings for 3 or 4 hours in advance so I was very glad my friend had thought ahead and booked us a table.
We had salsa, then various tortillas, cocktails and lots of wine. The service was great in terms of being quick, friendly and knowledgeable. However, no one explained to us that we would need more than one dish each as they are very small! (As we'd clearly had several drinks each, I'd imagine that RSA training would suggest it - even aside from upselling or sensibilities)
We'd been told to make a booking and given a two hour slot - but once it was clear we would keep ordering wine and cocktails, a table was magically found for us at the front, which was great.
Overall we had a great night, but to be honest I'm not sure it's not a great night we could have had somewhere else. The atmosphere wasn't incredible, the food was nice but not outstanding, the staff were really lovely.. but so are staff at lots of places. It's somewhere I'm not that excited to rush back to.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have extraordinarily high standards for Mexican food since I hail from an area of California with more Mexican restaurants than you can shake a stick at. I usually don't seek this type of cuisine while I'm traveling. It's almost always a disappointment and I don't want to experience an "attempt" at authentic Mexican food.

Mejico comes pretty close, but not quite. I will preface this review by stating that I love good salsa and also make my own. I am picky about the combination of flavors. The average salsa consumer would probably think the ones served at Mejico are good. My dining partner hails from the Mid West but he also loves Mexican food. We agreed that the Mango Habanero Salsa was very good. The tomatillo salsa that came with our tacos was not. It looked like what green salsa but tasted about as mild as baby food. The Mango Habanero Salsa also was a bit mild. I wish there was an option to make your selection SPICY. I want my lips to have a slight tingle after consuming something with an item like an habanero pepper...The plantain chips that accompanied our starter were beyond the pale. I preferred them to corn chips as they weren't overloaded with salt or texture. They were an unbelievable for my salsa to lay it's head. I will definitely copy this food item when I return home and make my last batch of salsa for the year.

Our pulled pork tacos were delicious, but I thought pulled pork was just that--P U L L E D. These were chunks for pork that looked like they were cut off from a pig. Nothing wrong with that, but I was expecting more of a shredded meat experience. I will reiterate that the tomatillo salsa that came with it was WAY too weak. I know the Aussie's can handle it.

Overall the atmosphere was delightful. It's a little odd to be in a Mexican restaurant and not see any Mexicans but I get that's a little difficult being on a different continent. It still felt odd to see an entirely Caucasian cooking staff in the kitchen :P.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I decided to take the missus somewhere different since we always tend to go to the same place after work on a Thursday night.

We had no trouble getting a table for two down the back as it was pretty early for dinner (roughly 17:50 AEST).

What we ordered:
- Achiote Chicken $28
- Market Fresh Fish $32
- Pacific Scallops Ceviche $16
- Santa Rita '120' Sauvignon Blanc $45
- Sparkling Water $8
- Total Bill = $129

Now I just have to say the portions are quite small but we loved it. The food tasted fantastic and the scallop ceviche is something new to us after just having normal white fish ceviche in Peru.

The place had an awesome vibe about it and the place was done up with a very laidback ambience.

The service was good at the start but started weaning off especially when the missus got her fish first and I was waiting a few minutes before I got my chicken. I would have preferred that we got our main meals at the same time instead.

Not so sure if it's value for money with the two mains we had but it won't stop us from coming here to try the other dishes.